Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Aug 2014, 01:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Length of undergrad?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Length of undergrad? [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2012, 09:56
Hello all, I am a second year at Cal Poly SLO majoring in business administration and with a concentration in information systems. Because of number CC credits, I can finish 2 quarters ahead of schedule if I take a normal load each quarter. My plan for after graduation is to work at a company for 2-4 years before applying to MBA programs.

I guess my question is, would it benefit me to graduate 2 quarters early (3 years 1 quarter) and get a head start on working in the real world or picking up a minor (maybe psychology or sociology) and graduating in 4 years.

Or does it not matter as long as my work experience, letters of rec, and other parts of the application are strong?

Thanks!
Manager
Manager
Concentration: International Business, General Management
Schools: Wharton '16 (M)
WE: Analyst (Venture Capital)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 86 [0], given: 3

Re: Length of undergrad? [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2012, 05:11
I don't see how that would make much of a difference. College is fun, milk it for all its worth
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
Followers: 121

Kudos [?]: 577 [0], given: 114

Re: Length of undergrad? [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2012, 14:13
I would recommend that you see what your options are. It is more important to land a good job out of undergrad than to minor or get a second major (assuming that you will work for 2-4 years before applications). Especially since many of the people that you will compete against will already have masters degrees, you minor won't look so special. So I would be doing everything you can to set yourself up for a top job. This would include landing top internships, attending networking events, starting to spread your branches into on campus clubs in your area of interest, and even gaining leadership positions in those clubs. School work will only get you so far, and the fact that you are alread a business major will be a positive (assuming you are doing well). So now it is time to start rounding out the rest of your application away from your schooling, and there are many ways to do this.

Plus, a minor might cost more $, and it might be worth while investing that money into other areas including GMAT, MBA consulting, or your MBA costs down the road. Good luck!

New to the GMAT Club? <START HERE>

My GMAT and BSchool Tips:

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Expert Post
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: HEC
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V44
Followers: 85

Kudos [?]: 477 [0], given: 431

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Length of undergrad? [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2012, 16:26
Expert's post
It probably doesn't matter that much whichever of the two paths you take, though I tend to side with GMATLA.

Do you have any job or internship lined up already, or are you still searching?

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V42
GPA: 3.91

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 1

Re: Length of undergrad? [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2012, 19:01
I was in a similar situation. I wasn't sure if I should graduate in 3 years or stay for a full 4. I ended up just keeping the option open for a 4th year but planning to finish in 3. That way if I didn't have a job that I could be excited about by the end of my 3rd year I could stay at school and keep trying. I did end up getting a good job so I'll be finishing in 3 years which I am very happy about. A big deciding factor for me was that it saved me a year of tuition!
Intern
Intern
Schools: Ross (admit after WL), Foster (admit), Wharton (ding), Thunderbird (admit)
WE 1: US Army logistics
WE 2: Client management & business development (Russian Auditing & accounting firm)
WE 3: Sales for renewable energy firm

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

Re: Length of undergrad? [#permalink] New post 05 Apr 2012, 18:50
socal70 wrote:
Hello all, I am a second year at Cal Poly SLO majoring in business administration and with a concentration in information systems. Because of number CC credits, I can finish 2 quarters ahead of schedule if I take a normal load each quarter. My plan for after graduation is to work at a company for 2-4 years before applying to MBA programs.

I guess my question is, would it benefit me to graduate 2 quarters early (3 years 1 quarter) and get a head start on working in the real world or picking up a minor (maybe psychology or sociology) and graduating in 4 years.

Or does it not matter as long as my work experience, letters of rec, and other parts of the application are strong?

Thanks!

Would it positively affect your job search if you graduated early? I say go with the option that gives you the best chances to land the job you want. Maybe the psych/sociology faculties could give access to interesting jobs you otherwise wouldn't be able to access. If that's the case, then go for the minor. If there are student internships you want that requires a "student" status, then that's another reason to graduate on-time rather than early. On the other hand, if there are jobs on the horizon that could be far more competitive if you wait and graduate with everyone else, then by all means graduate early and go for it.
Re: Length of undergrad?   [#permalink] 05 Apr 2012, 18:50