Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Sep 2014, 22:18

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Leona: If the average consumption of eggs in the United

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
VP
VP
Schools: Wharton (R2 - submitted); HBS (R2 - submitted); IIMA (admitted for 1 year PGPX)
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 98 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Leona: If the average consumption of eggs in the United [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2006, 10:13
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
Leona: If the average consumption of eggs in the United States were cut in half, an estimated 5,000 lives might be saved each year.

Thomas: How can that be? That would mean that if people adopt this single change in diet for ten years, the population ten years from now will be greater by 50,000 people than it otherwise would have been.
Which one of the following is a statement that Leona could offer Thomas to clarify her own claim and to address the point he has made?

(A) It is possible for the population to grow by 5,000 people for every year if the base year chosen for purposes of comparison is one with unusually low population growth.
(B) It is accurate to say that 5,000 lives have been saved as long as 5,000 people who would have died in a given year as a result of not changing their diet, did not do so-even if they died for some other reason.
(C) If egg consumption were reduced by more than half, the estimated number of lives saved each year could be even more than 5,000.
(D) The actual rate of population growth depends not only on the birth rate, but also on changes in life expectancy.
(E) For the average consumption of eggs to be cut by half, many individual consumers would have to cut their own consumption by much more than half.

I was completely lost on this one.....Please help me understand the darn question..
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2006, 10:53
i wud choose between Aand D..............

wats the answer?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2006, 11:16
B for me!

Others looks either irrelevent or out of scope
VP
VP
Schools: Wharton (R2 - submitted); HBS (R2 - submitted); IIMA (admitted for 1 year PGPX)
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 98 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2006, 11:19
arjsingh1976 wrote:
B for me!

Others looks either irrelevent or out of scope

Hmm.....could you pls explain B a little bit?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
B for me. [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2006, 17:36
I think B is the answer.

Nitin
Director
Director
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2006, 17:59
Some answers just "look", "sound", "feel" correct to some smart people. It is as if correct answers just whisper to these brilliant guys - "please pick me" ! I wonder when I'll develop such a sixth sense - probably never.

So let me get back to the back breaking work:

B suggests: It can be claimed that the proposed diet change saved 5000 lives/year, if 5000 people changed their diets but still died because of some other health issues not related to unhealthy diet. This claim not only can establish Leona's argument but also can address Thomas's concern.

"Education is what remains when one has forgotten everything he learned in school."

VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2006, 21:17
Thomas' argument makes the assumption that the 5000 people who would be saved by not eating eggs will not die due to any other reasons. Hence the population will increase by 5000 * 10 (50,000) after 10 years.

B paraphrased: Even if the 5000 people who were saved by not eating eggs died due to other reasons, you can count them as saved. (Thus the population will not increase by 50,000 after 10 years even if 5000 people were counted as saved every year)

P.S: If you have CR problems (like me), PM the following guys. They are REALLY helpful and can give you detailed strategies on solving CRs.
1. Fig
2. Ak_idc

Let me stress that they aren't miracle solutions, but they can be very useful in pointing you in the right direction.
  [#permalink] 16 Nov 2006, 21:17