Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 05:12 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 05:12

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 642 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:Wharton'11 HBS'12
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 598 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: General Management, Finance
Schools:INSEAD Dec'10
 Q48  V47
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Schools:HBS class of 2011
Send PM
Re: Less applications in R2/R3 [#permalink]
Zoinnk has already mentioned this, nevertheless FYI...

https://www.mbamission.com/blog/

Quote:
Gaining admission to HBS this year will be challenging not only because of the volume of applications but also because of the quality of applicants – a fact to which HBS Dean Jay Light attested on his Virtual Learning Series call (December16 th). During this alumni call, for paid members of HBS’s alumni associations, Dean Light told listeners that applications in the first round were up by24 % (which would indeed put HBS on pace to receive a record number) and declared that this was the “best set of applicants ever.” Dean Light added that it was the biggest cyclical response recorded in the history of the school. According to a listener, Dean Light stated that the school was considering taking in extra students and joked that they may even add an extra section. We would not recommend that MBA candidates hold their breath for the extra section, but it is possible that HBS may try to squeeze a few extra seats into the classroom. Time will tell…
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Investment Banking or Investment Management
Send PM
One more data point to add to this discussion, check out this blog post from Tuck:

https://tuckschool.blogspot.com/2009/01/ ... rends.html

Quote:
I would like to talk about our actual application volume this year. The big news is that despite an early upswing in applications, we are not seeing a marked increase overall. This trend is not unique to Tuck.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Investment Management
Schools:CBS, Cornell, Duke, Ross, Darden
Send PM
This was posted on bweek in the "Ask the Johnson School Admissions Office" thread:

..."Overall for R2, we're down about 13% for all applications (international and domestic) compared to last year."

https://forums.businessweek.com/n/pfx/fo ... &tid=78160
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Schools:Georgetown '11
Send PM
In the Ross theread someone has posted an interview with the Dean of Admissions and he has also mentioned that R2 is down over prior year.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 175 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Management Consulting
Schools: Ross 2012
 Q50  V44
WE 1: 5 Years at Fortune 50 Company in Manufacturing
Send PM
Sleepy wrote:
In the Ross theread someone has posted an interview with the Dean of Admissions and he has also mentioned that R2 is down over prior year.

Sleepy, it's good for me and you!!! and especially all the WL'er
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Schools:Ross (accepted), Booth (waitlist), McCombs (withdrawn)
 Q47  V40
Send PM
Here's a link to the Michigan Admissions article that people are referring to:
[url]
https://media.www.themsj.com/media/stora ... 7476.shtml[/url]

Here's the direct quote (found on page 1):

Quote:
as the financial crisis unfolded, and the loan market dried up, students, particularly international students, began rethinking their plans for school. As a result, our Round 2 app volume was down relative to last year. Many other schools are seeing the same thing.

I'm hoping that the app volume at Booth is significantly down for R2...hoping for anything that helps me turn my waitlist into an Admit!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Send PM
If it is true that international students not applying is the biggest contributer to the R2 decreases, who does that benefit? I'm thinking schools have a certain quota they want to fill with foreign students, and if there are less of them applying, then the ones who do apply have a much better chance of being admitted. On the other hand, Americans will have a harder time getting in due to this situation.

Any thoughts?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 175 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Management Consulting
Schools: Ross 2012
 Q50  V44
WE 1: 5 Years at Fortune 50 Company in Manufacturing
Send PM
mbafwi wrote:
If it is true that international students not applying is the biggest contributer to the R2 decreases, who does that benefit? I'm thinking schools have a certain quota they want to fill with foreign students, and if there are less of them applying, then the ones who do apply have a much better chance of being admitted. On the other hand, Americans will have a harder time getting in due to this situation.

Any thoughts?

I actually don't think there is a minimum quota for internationals. I think most school place a cap on internationals, so I think this will just push the number of US citizens up. But I don't think this is caused just by foreign loan issue, but also domestic:

[*]Crash of finance system means less opportunities in IB which was a huge draw
[*]Recession and poor future out look means people are worried that they can't get a job after investing 150K
[*]Crash of the housing market means less people are able to just sell their house and move for BSchool without taking big losses(I think previously that people who flipped use that to fund their schooling)
[*]NO MORE IB... again like 50% of the top candidates were trying to strike it rich, you don't become rich in MC like you do in IB.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Schools:Ross, Kellogg, Darden (i/v)
Send PM
mbafwi wrote:

Any thoughts?

It is a tricky situation. Even among the Internationals who applied in R2, a lot cannot afford b-school without non cosignor loans. Will b-schools only pick internationals who can fund the MBA themselves? Or students who they know can get funding from their home country? At least in case of the former, I don't know how they can figure out.

PS: I heard that Darden offered admission to very few people who applied FROM India (69 admits from India last year). It is probably a sign of things to come this year.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
In Chicago Booth's chat yesterday Rose actually said domestic applications went up. It did sound like the international ones were pretty low.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2