Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Oct 2014, 00:14

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

less than 24 hours left.....my 1st attempt

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Schools: Chicago R2
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

Re: less than 24 hours left.....my 1st attempt [#permalink] New post 28 May 2008, 09:45
jimmyjamesdonkey wrote:
I'm a fluent english speaker, and when I first took the GMATprep scored a 34 in the verbal...sometimes if I'm not careful my score can slip back down to 31 as well. Native speakers are in the same boat!

That's right, jimmyjamesdonkey. But I cannot even imagine touching V50-V51 :shock: . Sometimes I seem that time for only reading statements, passages, questions, and variants of the answers take more than 75 minutes :roll: , o-o-o-o I'm crying :cry: when I think how it could be if I read those in russian.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager

Re: less than 24 hours left.....my 1st attempt [#permalink] New post 28 May 2008, 09:49
But dont pay attention. fellows. I'm just complaining of real things. :-D I'm going to kill the test by the end of June.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Tepper '11
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 2

Re: less than 24 hours left.....my 1st attempt [#permalink] New post 28 May 2008, 10:13
jimmyjamesdonkey wrote:
My Manhattan instructor says most people go up automatically on the 2nd attempt by not doing anything....The ManhattanGMAT recommendation is you take the test twice. First time, and then wait a month and do nothing, and take it a 2nd time without practicing between the two.

This makes no sense at all. Unless the instructor is talking about natural variation of 10-20 points, which is worthless anyway. Please send the instructor an e-slap for me.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

Re: less than 24 hours left.....my 1st attempt [#permalink] New post 28 May 2008, 10:17
CHak de phatte!!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 0

Re: less than 24 hours left.....my 1st attempt [#permalink] New post 28 May 2008, 10:19
Walker,
I thought i misread first. 680 is not for you buddy.
You can kick ass with some more Verbal prep. I highly recommend LSAT Superprep and LSAT CRs from 1000 CRs. Let me know if I can help anyway.
As I had said once.....lot of us owe you 40-50 points...I do. Sad part I cant transfer you those.

Good luck for your prep and next attempt.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: UCSD ($) , UCLA, USC ($), Stanford
Followers: 121

Kudos [?]: 1384 [0], given: 2

Re: less than 24 hours left.....my 1st attempt [#permalink] New post 28 May 2008, 10:21
Tarmac wrote:
jimmyjamesdonkey wrote:
My Manhattan instructor says most people go up automatically on the 2nd attempt by not doing anything....The ManhattanGMAT recommendation is you take the test twice. First time, and then wait a month and do nothing, and take it a 2nd time without practicing between the two.

This makes no sense at all. Unless the instructor is talking about natural variation of 10-20 points, which is worthless anyway. Please send the instructor an e-slap for me.

e-slap from me too. I worked my ass off between my 1st and 2nd GMAT and still got the same score.

Chinese Democracy is misunderstood...at your nearest BestBuy.

Best AWA guide here: how-to-get-6-0-awa-my-guide-64327.html

Director
Director
Schools: Oxford'10
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 177 [0], given: 8

Re: less than 24 hours left.....my 1st attempt [#permalink] New post 28 May 2008, 10:46
Tarmac wrote:
jimmyjamesdonkey wrote:

thats rite, GMAC isn't the type of organisation that will give big discounts (in terms of a better score) to repeat customers :-)

there are also numerous stories on this board of repeat test takers who got LESS the second time around!

e-slap for me too please
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 74 [0], given: 1

Re: less than 24 hours left.....my 1st attempt [#permalink] New post 28 May 2008, 14:05
walker wrote:
680 Q50V31

a short debrief.

- math was good, but many problems required careful reading and were hard to understand what is asking. I guess I made one mistake in one of the first 10s questions. By the way, first three questions were easy. And, guys, drinking water before Q part was a HUGE mistake! :P
- verbal. SC seems to be odd, and maybe I failed to concentrate up to a required level. Moreover, some of the RC questions were too long and covered whole screen, so I had to go faster in SC and CR.

Finally, I did not study so hard as it was necessary! But I will not give up! see you latter at the forum!

Thank for your support!
Yours Walker

Walker - knowing your dedication, if anything, this has me convinced that you'll be back and stronger the next time around! :m16

My GMAT debrief

Expert Post
CEO
CEO
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Other
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Followers: 365

Kudos [?]: 1808 [0], given: 358

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: less than 24 hours left.....my 1st attempt [#permalink] New post 28 May 2008, 20:38
Expert's post
Guys, thanks for your words, your PMs! I guess I just must brake this wall!!!
So, my thoughts what was wrong....

1. in many SC I had no idea what is tested. When I go through SC, I rather guessing than strongly sure about answers. So, despite my average 85% in SC1000 in SC-OG, I've not built a strong SC background and have to dig deeply in grammar as well as understand not only why an answer is correct, but also why other answers are wrong.

I would be very appreciate If sometimes you have time to answer to my stupid Verbal questions one more time :-D
such as: 11-t21915

2. Vocabulary. Problem with understanding hurt me a lot in RC, CR, SC.

P.S. In quant it is just game between 50 and 51 :)

HOT! GMAT TOOLKIT 2 (iOS) / GMAT TOOLKIT (Android) - The OFFICIAL GMAT CLUB PREP APP, a must-have app especially if you aim at 700+ | PrepGame

Manager
Manager

Re: less than 24 hours left.....my 1st attempt [#permalink] New post 28 May 2008, 21:15
Walker, I agree with you that understanding of grammar is crucial. But IMO there's one more thing you have to consider - understanding the rythm and logic of English. How the language works, sounds, means. Use "The Elements of Style" of William Strunk & White. Gooood thing indeed.
CEO
CEO
Followers: 56

Kudos [?]: 438 [0], given: 210

Re: less than 24 hours left.....my 1st attempt [#permalink] New post 28 May 2008, 21:19
:shock: I've NEVER scored 51 in gmat prep, even when I know half the answers ... I just cant break the 50 barrier....

For you walker - I think you should only think in terms of 51. There is at least a 10 point difference in your final gmat score if you get a 51 instead of 50.

walker wrote:
P.S. In quant it is just game between 50 and 51 :)

Last edited by bsd_lover on 28 May 2008, 21:26, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager

Re: less than 24 hours left.....my 1st attempt [#permalink] New post 28 May 2008, 21:24
walker wrote:
I would be very appreciate If sometimes you have time to answer to my stupid Verbal questions one more time :-D
such as: 11-t21915

It's easy to crack. only 4(d) has a needed pattern "they do less ... than those did"
Director
Director
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 80 [0], given: 0

Re: less than 24 hours left.....my 1st attempt [#permalink] New post 28 May 2008, 21:36
hey walker, do you have the manhattan SC guide?
Expert Post
CEO
CEO

Re: less than 24 hours left.....my 1st attempt [#permalink] New post 28 May 2008, 22:45
Expert's post
barfer wrote:
Walker, I agree with you that understanding of grammar is crucial. But IMO there's one more thing you have to consider - understanding the rythm and logic of English. How the language works, sounds, means. Use "The Elements of Style" of William Strunk & White. Gooood thing indeed.

I feel that one part of English (for example speaking) can boost other parts automatically. Yeah, English is not just tricky GMAT grammar....it is a language!
I'll try that book.

gmatnub wrote:
hey walker, do you have the manhattan SC guide?

Yeah, But, frankly speaking, I did not use it often as I believed that my 85% SC performance is close to real....So, now I have to start again with this book.

HOT! GMAT TOOLKIT 2 (iOS) / GMAT TOOLKIT (Android) - The OFFICIAL GMAT CLUB PREP APP, a must-have app especially if you aim at 700+ | PrepGame

Director
Director
Schools: Oxford'10
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 177 [0], given: 8

Re: less than 24 hours left.....my 1st attempt [#permalink] New post 29 May 2008, 00:05
Walker,

make sure you use the MGMAT SC guide WITH the OG, else the concepts won't be reinforced in your brain.

Also i think lots of people concentrate on SC and CR but don't give 1/3 of their verbal time to RC. RC is the biggest problem if you are a non-native english speaker in my opinion, since if you don't understand the passage fully, instead of missing 1 question, you miss 3-4 in a row, which on an adaptive test can be fatal.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

Re: less than 24 hours left.....my 1st attempt [#permalink] New post 29 May 2008, 01:49
congratulations walker...you just deserve more than this...

ATB!
SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS, Kellogg
Followers: 18

Kudos [?]: 294 [0], given: 1

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: less than 24 hours left.....my 1st attempt [#permalink] New post 29 May 2008, 02:06
incognito1 wrote:
drinking water before Q part was a HUGE mistake!

Haha, Walker, I understand why you shoot only 50-Math. I'm sure that you're dancing at that time so you lost 1 in the total, right?! :P :P :P

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager

Re: less than 24 hours left.....my 1st attempt [#permalink] New post 29 May 2008, 02:16
Quote:
I feel that one part of English (for example speaking) can boost other parts automatically. Yeah, English is not just tricky GMAT grammar....it is a language!
I'll try that book.

Walker, it can boost other parts automatically but that takes many-many years of permanent speaking practice, TV watching, people listening, collaborating etc. I guess you don't have some amount of time :-D
Manager
Manager

Re: less than 24 hours left.....my 1st attempt [#permalink] New post 29 May 2008, 06:03
thank irishspring! +1 :-D till monday i'll finish my lsat superprep cause only the last set left. and tomorrow morning i'll try to buy an Economist as u suggested. the additional 30 points are not redundant indeed 8-)
Expert Post
CEO
CEO

Re: less than 24 hours left.....my 1st attempt [#permalink] New post 29 May 2008, 06:23
Expert's post
Thanks guys! Thanks irishspring!

Re: less than 24 hours left.....my 1st attempt   [#permalink] 29 May 2008, 06:23