Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Jul 2014, 01:14

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Let's help out johnnyx9 . . .

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Stern vs. BU MBA/MS on full scholarship?

• 74% [46]
  • 25% [16]
TAGS:
SVP
SVP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 82 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Let's help out johnnyx9 . . . [#permalink] New post 10 Apr 2007, 06:23
He has a full ride to BU (ranked #41) but was recently accepted to Stern (#10), most likely with no or very little scholarship.

BU offers the MBA/MS Information Systems in 21 months.
vs.
NYU just jumped into the top ten.

johnnyx9, add any other factors that may influence your decision . . .

Last edited by kidderek on 10 Apr 2007, 09:07, edited 1 time in total.
VP
VP
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 10 Apr 2007, 06:37
My vote for BU

Rankings can never be the basis for choosing a school.........

Few years after school no one cares where you went but WHAT YOU achieved is the key ...
VP
VP
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 182 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 10 Apr 2007, 06:40
I voted BU, because it's the only way he'll manage to keep his girlfriend. And since we "know" him, we know how hard it will be for him to get a new GF.... :lol:

Johnny, I shared my thoughts with you before.

L.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 10 Apr 2007, 06:50
I voted for BU. From my limited understanding of the situation, johnny is in healthcare coprporate finance and plans on going back. I have a couple of friends in corporate fianance and from what they say MBA rank is not important. It is the experience that matters, and johnny confirmed it in his previous posts. Also, these companies generaly don't recruit on campuses. So if I knew that I would not change jobs/industries and I knew that to succeed/open doors, an MBA rank is not a key, I would choose the cheapest alternative, in this case BU.

On the other hand, I like Stern (I applied there myself) and in EVERY other circumstance (career/industry change, undecided, etc.) I would choose Stern over BU. So johnny, if you decide to keep your options open, go to Stern. If you are one of the lucky few who trully have it all figured out than BU makes sense.
VP
VP
Schools: NYU Stern 2009
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 218 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 10 Apr 2007, 07:55
I voted stern because I want to go out drinking with him and then post nonsense on here.

I can't think anyone can give a better reasoning than that.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 70 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 10 Apr 2007, 08:05
Kidderek - Thanks for setting this up, this is getting some interesting feedback I'm getting.

Lepium - You're right, you can only fool so many girls, I need to hang onto this one!

Econgirl - You've kind of hit on the crux of the whole thing -- I definitely do want to keep my options open, and Stern would obviously be the best way to do that.

Oz - Good points, I've tried to put the rankings and prestige considerations out of my mind and focus on the realities of career placement, ROI, etc....

3underscore - Probably the most compelling argument yet!
Current Student
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 120 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
 [#permalink] New post 10 Apr 2007, 08:20
First off, congrats Johnny! You knew your odds were good at either school. Given your career interests and the full ride, this is really a tough call. I'd probably take BU in order to keep post MBA debt to a minimum and save yourself the relocation nightmare. Both schools are reputable, so trust your own instinct.
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 10 Apr 2007, 09:20
Johnny,

I would suggest making your decision after attending both admit weekends. For me, it boiled down to the people finally.
SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 10 Apr 2007, 10:05
Here's another perspective:

At NYU, you'll just be an average student. At BU, you'll be the rockstar full scholarship student!!!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 247

Kudos [?]: 1513 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
 [#permalink] New post 10 Apr 2007, 10:32
kidderek wrote:

At NYU, you'll just be an average student. At BU, you'll be the rockstar full scholarship student!!!

And at the university of Pheonix Online he'll be the best student they ever had. Doesn't mean, I'd chose them....
SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 10 Apr 2007, 10:35
rhyme wrote:
kidderek wrote:

And at the university of Phoenix Online he'll be the best student they ever had. Doesn't mean, I'd chose them....

Oh come on, BU is a very respectable school. btw, I voted Stern. Throughout all of johnny's posts, you can sense he wanted Stern badly.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 247

Kudos [?]: 1513 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
 [#permalink] New post 10 Apr 2007, 10:40
kidderek wrote:
rhyme wrote:
kidderek wrote:

And at the university of Phoenix Online he'll be the best student they ever had. Doesn't mean, I'd chose them....

Oh come on, BU is a very respectable school. btw, I voted Stern. Throughout all of johnny's posts, you can sense he wanted Stern badly.

I was just trying to make a point that just because, compartively speaking, he would be "above average" at BU doesnt, in my view, make a good case for choosing that school over Stern. I just took it to the extreme by using Pheonix Online... No doubt, BU is much much better than Pheonix Online.

I also voted Stern.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 70 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 10 Apr 2007, 11:07
Kidderek - Well to extend what you said, I guess my competition for internships and even jobs would presumably be lower at a less selective school. BU seems to place lots of people at places like Deloitte and Booz Allen Hamilton -- the same places where most Stern consultants end up. So if Deloitte comes to campus at BU and at Stern, maybe I'd stand out more at BU. Hard to say for sure though, I'll have to do a lot more research to really understand how recruiting compares at the two schools.

But you're right, I really do want Stern, the prestige and the chance to be in NY for two years would be amazing.

I feel like I've really been a self-indulgent jackass who's been monopolizing space on the boards the last few days with my whining and indecision, but it's been really helpful hearing all these different points of view.
VP
VP
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 182 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 10 Apr 2007, 14:28
johnnyx9 wrote:
I feel like I've really been a self-indulgent jackass who's been monopolizing space on the boards the last few days with my whining and indecision, but it's been really helpful hearing all these different points of view.

Don't worry, man, if we had anything more important or interesting to do, we wouldn't be hanging around here so much. :lol:
  [#permalink] 10 Apr 2007, 14:28