Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Aug 2014, 06:14

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Let's say Nine countries agreed to a treaty requiring each

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Concentration: Marketing, Other
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GMAT 2: 660 Q V
GPA: 3.64
WE: Accounting (Accounting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 76013

Let's say Nine countries agreed to a treaty requiring each [#permalink] New post 23 May 2003, 06:53
Let's say Nine countries agreed to a treaty requiring each of them to perform a specified action on a certain fixed date, with the actions each conditional on ongoing action taken by other countries. Each country was also to notify the other eight countries it had completed its action.

Are my thoughts right about why these answer choices are wrong??

B) one of the participating parties might not be required to make any changes to take any steps in order to comply with the treaty, but the rest of the paries are required.

Okay let's say country one does not need to act if two does the job. Let's stop here. Is acting or changing the same in ETS's mind. Clearly, the language determines the difficulty of the question. They do not have to make changes because the rest of the parties might be doing their job?

D) This is alittle bit more slick on their part. The agreement specify that the signal for one of the parties for one of the countries to initiate action was when they were notified by the other parties that they had completed their job. Again, is change here the same as action in ETS's mind? That's what aggravates me about this test is what are they thinking?

So country one was dependent on what other parties were doing at the same time. So can one act immediately after two does their job?

I think thats what everybody struggles with. Is my thinking right necssarily, and on test day there is really no way to tell?
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2219

Kudos [?]: 8195 [0], given: 3641

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Understanding the logic behind here( tinkered slightly f [#permalink] New post 25 May 2003, 21:42
Expert's post
VTay25 wrote:
Let's say Nine countries agreed to a treaty requiring each of them to perform a specified action on a certain fixed date, with the actions each conditional on ongoing action taken by other countries. Each country was also to notify the other eight countries it had completed its action.

Are my thoughts right about why these answer choices are wrong??

B) one of the participating parties might not be required to make any changes to take any steps in order to comply with the treaty, but the rest of the paries are required.

Okay let's say country one does not need to act if two does the job. Let's stop here. Is acting or changing the same in ETS's mind. Clearly, the language determines the difficulty of the question. They do not have to make changes because the rest of the parties might be doing their job?

D) This is alittle bit more slick on their part. The agreement specify that the signal for one of the parties for one of the countries to initiate action was when they were notified by the other parties that they had completed their job. Again, is change here the same as action in ETS's mind? That's what aggravates me about this test is what are they thinking?

So country one was dependent on what other parties were doing at the same time. So can one act immediately after two does their job?

I think thats what everybody struggles with. Is my thinking right necssarily, and on test day there is really no way to tell?

What is the question of this argument?
Concentration: Marketing, Other
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GMAT 2: 660 Q V
GPA: 3.64
WE: Accounting (Accounting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 76013

Reply to Bogdan [#permalink] New post 29 May 2003, 16:54
Several countries signed a treaty binding each of them to perform specified actions on a certain fixed date, with the actions of each conditional on simultaneous action taken by the other countries. Each country was also to notify the six other countries when it had completed its action.
Reply to Bogdan   [#permalink] 29 May 2003, 16:54