Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Apr 2014, 14:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Lets destroy OG , Started with OG 10

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 34

Kudos [?]: 355 [0], given: 237

Premium Member
Re: Lets destroy OG , Started with OG 10 [#permalink] New post 26 Dec 2012, 18:26
Can't we call combine these exercises into one--- the meaning sets posted by carcass and og 10 questions posted by Archit143 to make a good collection along with takeaways?

ideally if one has the time one should disscuss each og question because the official explainations aren't good enough but they will be far too many questions to disscuss, so i suggested that we disscuss only the questions with medium and hard difficulty

How to CHOOSE your Business School
Thanks = Kudos. Kudos are appreciated

Rules for posting on the verbal forum
When you post a question Pls. Provide its source & TAG your questions
Avoid posting from unreliable sources such as 1000 series.

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Followers: 172

Kudos [?]: 1519 [0], given: 610

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Lets destroy OG , Started with OG 10 [#permalink] New post 27 Dec 2012, 05:43
Expert's post
Archit143

Post your questions here from OG 10. Once you have finished I'll create a new post with only the questions and the OAs.

As such, it will be more useful to understand and manageable for all users

Try to avoid ALL questions it is a waste of valuable time, the best SCs are much better.

Regards

KUDOS is the good manner to help the entire community.

VP
VP
Affiliations: NYK Line
GMAT 1: 410 Q35 V11
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.84
WE: Engineering (Transportation)
Followers: 26

Kudos [?]: 213 [0], given: 65

Re: Lets destroy OG , Started with OG 10 [#permalink] New post 27 Dec 2012, 08:35
41. Under a provision of the Constitution that was never applied. Congress has been required to call a convention
for considering possible amendments to the document when formally asked to do it
by the legislatures
of two-thirds of the states.
(A) was never applied, Congress has been required to call a convention for considering possible
amendments to the document when formally asked to do it
(B) was never applied, there has been a requirement that Congress call a convention for consideration of
possible amendments to the document when asked to do it formally
(C) was never applied, whereby Congress is required to call a convention for considering possible
amendments to the document when asked to do it formally
(D) has never been applied, whereby Congress is required to call a convention to consider possible
amendments to the document when formally asked to do so
(E) has never been applied. Congress is required to call a convention to consider possible amendments to
the document when formally asked to do so
42. The current administration, being worried over some foreign trade barriers being removed and our exports
failing
to increase as a result of deep cuts in the value of the dollar, has formed a group to study ways to
sharpen our competitiveness.
(A) being worried over some foreign trade barriers being removed and our exports failing
(B) worrying over some foreign trade barriers being removed, also over the failure of our exports
(C) worried about the removal of some foreign trade barriers and the failure of our exports
(D) in that they were worried about the removal of some foreign trade barriers and also about the failure of
our exports
(E) because of its worry concerning the removal of some foreign trade barriers, also concerning the failure
of our exports
43. In the minds of many people living in England, before Australia was Australia, it was the antipodes, the
opposite pole to civilization, an obscure and unimaginable place that was considered the end of the world.
(A) before Australia was Australia, it was the antipodes
(B) before there was Australia, it was the antipodes
(C) it was the antipodes that was Australia
(D) Australia was what was the antipodes
(E) Australia was what had been known as the antipodes
44. Using a Doppler ultrasound device, fetal heartbeats can be detected by the twelfth week of pregnancy.
(A) Using a Doppler ultrasound device, fetal heart-beats can be detected by the twelfth week of pregnancy.
(B) Fetal heartbeats can be detected by the twelfth week of pregnancy, using a Doppler ultrasound device.
(C) Detecting fetal heartbeats by the twelfth week of pregnancy, a physician can use a Doppler ultrasound
device.
(D) By the twelfth week of pregnancy, fetal heartbeats can be detected using a Doppler ultrasound device
by a physician.
(E) Using a Doppler ultrasound device, a physician can detect fetal heartbeats by the twelfth week of
pregnancy.
45. Delighted by the reported earnings for the first quarter of the fiscal year, it was decided by the
company manager to give her staff a raise.

(A) it was decided by the company manager to give her staff a raise
(B) the decision of the company manager was to give her staff a raise
(C) the company manager decided to give her staff a raise
(D) the staff was given a raise by the company manager
(E) a raise was given to the staff by the company manager
VP
VP

Re: Lets destroy OG , Started with OG 10 [#permalink] New post 27 Dec 2012, 08:39
46. A study commissioned by the Department of Agriculture showed that if calves exercise and associated with
other calves, they will require less medication and gain weight quicker than do
those raised in confinement.
(A) associated with other calves, they will require less medication and gain weight quicker than do
(B) associated with other calves, they require less medication and gain weight quicker than
(C) associate with other calves, they required less medication and will gain weight quicker than do
(D) associate with other calves, they have required less medication and will gain weight more quickly than
do
(E) associate with other calves, they require less medication and gain weight more quickly than
47. Displays of the aurora borealis, or "northern lights," can heat the atmosphere over the arctic enough to
affect the trajectories of ballistic missiles, induce
electric currents that can cause blackouts in some areas
and corrosion in north-south pipelines.
(A) to affect the trajectories of ballistic missiles, induce
(B) that the trajectories of ballistic missiles are affected, induce
(C) that it affects the trajectories of ballistic missiles, induces
(D) that the trajectories of ballistic missiles are affected and induces
(E) to affect the trajectories of ballistic missiles and induce
48. The golden crab of the Gulf of Mexico has not been fished commercially in great numbers, primarily on
account of living
at great depths-- 2,500 to 3,000 feet down.
(A) on account of living
(B) on account of their living
(C) because it lives
(D) because of living
(E) being they live
49. The cameras of the Voyager II spacecraft detected six small, previously unseen moons circling Uranus,
which doubles to twelve the number of satellites now known as orbiting the distant planet
(A) which doubles to twelve the number of satellites now known as orbiting
(B) doubling to twelve the number of satellites now known to orbit
(C) which doubles to twelve the number of satellites now known in orbit around
(D) doubling to twelve the number of satellites now known as orbiting
(E) which doubles to twelve the number of satellites now known that orbit
50. As a baby emerges from the darkness of the womb with a rudimentary sense of vision, it would be rated
about 20/500. or legally blind if it were an adult with such vision
(A) As a baby emerges from the darkness of the womb with a rudimentary sense of vision, it would be
rated about 20/500, or legally blind if it were an adult with such vision.
(B) A baby emerges from the darkness of the womb with a rudimentary sense of vision that would be rated
about 20/500, or legally blind as an adult
(C) As a baby emerges from the darkness of the womb, its rudimentary sense of vision would be rated
about 20/500; qualifying it to be legally blind if an adult
(D) A baby emerges from the darkness of the womb with a rudimentary sense of vision that would be rated
about 20/500; an adult with such vision would be deemed legally blind.
(E) As a baby emerges from the darkness of the womb, its rudimentary sense of vision, which would
deemed legally blind for an adult, would be rated about 20/500.
VP
VP

Re: Lets destroy OG , Started with OG 10 [#permalink] New post 27 Dec 2012, 18:19
Hi

I reconfirmed from the source i has got full stop in between......
VP
VP

Re: Lets destroy OG , Started with OG 10 [#permalink] New post 27 Dec 2012, 18:21
It has become a match between two....Guys start posting ur answers and Take aways Other wise it will be of no use
VP
VP

Re: Lets destroy OG , Started with OG 10 [#permalink] New post 27 Dec 2012, 18:26
I feel that Q 31 has got a modifier error in option E
Error is Verb --ing modifier error, In E it nonsensically modfies Analytical skill whereas in D it correctly modofies People.....
Option A,B and C are out because of faulty construction and meaning is not clear....Actual meaning should Many people accept their fault at Caomp skill while they donot accept at analytial skills....

Hope that helps!!

Consider Kudos, If my post helped
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Premium Member
Re: Lets destroy OG , Started with OG 10 [#permalink] New post 27 Dec 2012, 18:30
Archit143 wrote:
Hi

I reconfirmed from the source i has got full stop in between......

ya ur right about the full stop . Ron has mentioned on some previous mgmt thread that full stop cannot be present in a SC question in the exam that must be a mistake/typo
got all 31-40 correct :-D

VP
VP

Re: Lets destroy OG , Started with OG 10 [#permalink] New post 27 Dec 2012, 18:33
Q 32
Verb agreement error......Have been cannot be used it will mean that past action is continuing in the present i.e. The destruction of the building is still continuing. had been can be blindly used here because two events both are in past and the former has ended.....

Hope that helps

Consider Kudos If my post helped
Followers: 172

Kudos [?]: 1519 [0], given: 610

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Lets destroy OG , Started with OG 10 [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2012, 04:02
Expert's post
But the takeaways are from the 31st question ahead ??

KUDOS is the good manner to help the entire community.

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 94

Re: Lets destroy OG , Started with OG 10 [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2012, 13:32
41 E
42 C
43 E
44 E
45 c
46 E
47 E
48 C
49 B
50 D
Please post the OA. I found this set very difficult. Meanwhile I will try to justify why I chose the above options.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 94

Re: Lets destroy OG , Started with OG 10 [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2012, 13:39
42. The current administration, being worried over some foreign trade barriers being removed and our exports
failing to increase as a result of deep cuts in the value of the dollar, has formed a group to study ways to
sharpen our competitiveness.
(A) being worried over some foreign trade barriers being removed and our exports failing
(B) worrying over some foreign trade barriers being removed, also over the failure of our exports
(C) worried about the removal of some foreign trade barriers and the failure of our exports
(D) in that they were worried about the removal of some foreign trade barriers and also about the failure of
our exports
(E) because of its worry concerning the removal of some foreign trade barriers, also concerning the failure
of our exports

I chose C because "worried" correctly modifies the current administration. The first two options have "being" which is not appropriately used here. Please correct me if I am wrong
VP
VP

Re: Lets destroy OG , Started with OG 10 [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2012, 15:37
No compiled lists yet.......come on guys still waiting for reponses so that i can go ahead with posting........
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Premium Member
Re: Lets destroy OG , Started with OG 10 [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2012, 16:10
Archit143 wrote:
No compiled lists yet.......come on guys still waiting for reponses so that i can go ahead with posting........

I agree there is no use of JUST posting questions w/o discussion from other participant members. I will post some more takeaways from the remaining 5-6 questions and finish the exercise. Archit can you please post the OA from Q41-Q 50? thnks

VP
VP

Re: Lets destroy OG , Started with OG 10 [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2012, 18:05
Actually i m out of town i ll post by today noon...Srry for the delay
Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 10-25-2012
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 62

Re: Lets destroy OG , Started with OG 10 [#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2012, 00:17
Formulas for cash flow and the ratio of debt to equity do not apply to new small businesses in the same way as they do to established big businesses, because they are growing and are seldom in equilibrium.
(A) Formulas for cash flow and the ratio of debt to equity do not apply to new small businesses in the same way as they do to established big businesses, because they are growing and are seldom in equilibrium. modifier issue
(B) Because they are growing and are seldom in equilibrium, formulas for cash flow and the ratio of debt to equity do not apply to new small businesses in the same way as they do to established big businesses. modifier issue
(C) Because they are growing and are seldom in equilibrium, new small businesses are not subject to the same applicability of formulas for cash flow and the ratio of debt to equity as established big businesses. should not be same applicability but probably applicability in the same way
(D) Because new small businesses are growing and are seldom in equilibrium, formulas for cash flow and the ratio of debt to equity do not apply to them in the same way as to established big businesses. - correct
(E) New small businesses are not subject to the applicability of formulas for cash flow and the ratio of debt to equity in the same way as established big businesses, because they are growing and are seldom in equilibrium.

D is definitely better than E, but I do not have any solid reason to eliminate. I am sure "they(subject pronoun)" refers to New small businesses (subject noun) only.

Can someone please point out the mistake in E?

if my post helped you, let me know by pressing Kudos...

VP
VP

Re: Lets destroy OG , Started with OG 10 [#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2012, 02:20
Posting OA 41 - 50

41 E
42 C
43 A
44 E
45 C
46 E
47 E
48 C
49 B
50 D
Requesting all to present take aways..I am preparing set of question out of these 50 with the heading of " Questions pertaining to Verb ing Modifier'......I feel that this type modifier are real challenge and acing such tye will guarantee 25 - 30 % correct SC answer

Pls post OA frens
VP
VP

Re: Lets destroy OG , Started with OG 10 [#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2012, 02:22
sharmila79 wrote:
41 E
42 C
43 E
44 E
45 c
46 E
47 E
48 C
49 B
50 D
Please post the OA. I found this set very difficult. Meanwhile I will try to justify why I chose the above options.

Just one wrong sharmila good job!!!! :-D
VP
VP

Re: Lets destroy OG , Started with OG 10 [#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2012, 02:27
dentobizz wrote:
IMO
*41 e (are you sure about the full stop in the option?)
42 c
*43 e
*44 e
45 c
*46 e
47 e
48 c
49 b
50 d

Good Job dentobizzz!!! just one wrong
I see that both you and sharmila got Q 43 wrong... Since i got it right i ll post my understanding of it
You pointed out some query about full stop in Q 41 ..Its GMAT forget about dobting anything that is official and do not care even if RON questions it...He too learned from it.

In Q 41 for Q 41 When i referd my error log i found that "Whereby ' introduces a fragment and hence is considered wrong on GMAT....

Consider Kudos If my post helped!!!
VP
VP

Re: Lets destroy OG , Started with OG 10 [#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2012, 02:44
Archit143 wrote:

43. In the minds of many people living in England, before Australia was Australia, it was the antipodes, the
opposite pole to civilization, an obscure and unimaginable place that was considered the end of the world.
(A) before Australia was Australia, it was the antipodes
(B) before there was Australia, it was the antipodes
(C) it was the antipodes that was Australia
(D) Australia was what was the antipodes
(E) Australia was what had been known as the antipodes

Hi Sharmilla and Dentobizz

Option E cannot be right option Choice because of the presence of "Had been"
Can u find any other past event....

Answer is NO Check the word "Living in England' that means its talking of people presently living in England not about those who lived.

It also alters the intent of the sentence had been means that there is no one alive thinking of Australia as antipodes..thats wrong because of the verb in the non underlined portion i.e. living means there are people still living.
Be very careful in the use of "Had been " when attached to something means it was over in the past there is no one doing or carrying out that activity......For clarification check OG 13 Q 77 ( A contract of 1977 restricted canada and US ...)

Moreover the use of" Australia was Australia" Refer OG 13 (Eg: wasps, wasps are social........)
Re: Lets destroy OG , Started with OG 10   [#permalink] 29 Dec 2012, 02:44