Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 07:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Lets destroy OG , Started with OG 10

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
12 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Affiliations: NYK Line
GMAT 1: 410 Q35 V11
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.84
WE: Engineering (Transportation)
Followers: 31

Kudos [?]: 263 [12] , given: 67

Lets destroy OG , Started with OG 10 [#permalink] New post 25 Dec 2012, 16:34
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hello Frends

I have started OG 10, OG 11, 12 and 13 will continue...
I will post daily 10 question from OG 10 Once OG 10 is done will move to OG 11, 12 and 13........Are there like minded people are Invited.

However Easy might be the question, I m thinking of going step by step , First accuracy and than timing.
I will daily post the answers......Somewehre around night time, There will be 2 sets everyday i.e 20 OG questions

So here is the first set:- Date 26th Dec 06 in the morning (IST + 5:30 GMT)

1. The Wallerstein study indicates that even after a decade young men and women still experience some of
the effects of a divorce occurring when a child.
(A) occurring when a child
(B) occurring when children
(C) that occurred when a child
(D) that occurred when they were children
(E) that has occurred as each was a child
2. Since 1981, when the farm depression began, the number of acres overseen by professional
farm-management companies have grown from 48 million to nearly 59 million, an area that is about
Colorado's size.

(A) have grown from 48 million to nearly 59 million, an area that is about Colorado's size
(B) have grown from 48 million to nearly 59 million, about the size of Colorado
(C) has grown from 48 million to nearly 59 million, an area about the size of Colorado
(D) has grown from 48 million up to nearly 59 million, an area about the size of Colorado's
(E) has grown from 48 million up to nearly 59 million, about Colorado's size
3. Some bat caves, like honeybee hives, have residents that take on different duties such as defending the
entrance, acting as sentinels and to sound a warning at the approach of danger, and scouting outside the
cave for new food and roosting sites.
(A) acting as sentinels and to sound
(B) acting as sentinels and sounding
(C) to act as sentinels and sound
(D) to act as sentinels and to sound
(E) to act as a sentinel sounding
4. The only way for growers to salvage frozen citrus is to process them quickly into juice concentrate before
they rot when warmer weather returns.

(A) to process them quickly into juice concentrate before they rot when warmer weather returns
(B) if they are quickly processed into juice concentrate before warmer weather returns to rot them
(C) for them to be processed quickly into juice concentrate before the fruit rots when warmer weather
returns
(D) if the fruit is quickly processed into juice concentrate before they rot when warmer weather returns
(E) to have it quickly processed into juice concentrate before warmer weather returns and rots the fruit
5. Carbon-14 dating reveals that the megalithic monuments in Brittany are nearly 2,000 years as old as any of
their supposed
Mediterranean predecessors.
(A) as old as any of their supposed
(B) older than any of their supposed
(C) as old as their supposed
(D) older than any of their supposedly
(E) as old as their supposedly
6. In virtually all types of tissue in every animal species, dioxin induces the production of enzymes that are the
organism's trying to metabolize, or render harmless. the chemical that is irritating it.
(A) trying to metabolize, or render harmless, the chemical that is irritating it
(B) trying that it metabolize, or render harmless, the . chemical irritant
(C) attempt to try to metabolize, or render harmless, such a chemical irritant
(D) attempt to try and metabolize, or render harmless, the chemical irritating it
(E) attempt to metabolize, or render harmless, the chemical irritant
7. Dr. Hakuta's research among Hispanic children in the United States indicates that the more the children
use both Spanish and English, their intellectual advantage is greater in skills underlying reading ability and
nonverbal logic.

(A) their intellectual advantage is greater in skills underlying reading ability and nonverbal logic
(B) their intellectual advantage is the greater in skills underlaying reading ability and nonverbal logic
(C) the greater their intellectual advantage in skills underlying reading ability and nonverbal logic
(D) in skills that underlay reading ability and nonverbal logic, their intellectual advantage is the greater
(E) in skills underlying reading ability and nonverbal logic, the greater intellectual advantage is theirs
8. Lacking information about energy use, people tend to overestimate the amount of energy used by
equipment. such as lights, that are visible and must be turned on and off and underestimate that used by
unobtrusive equipment, such as water heaters.
(A) equipment, such as lights, that are visible and must be turned on and off and underestimate that
(B) equipment, such as lights, that are visible and must be turned on and off and underestimate it when
(C) equipment, such as lights, that is visible and must be turned on and off and underestimate it when
(D) visible equipment, such as lights, that must be turned on and off and underestimate that
(E) visible equipment, such as lights, that must be turned on and off and underestimate it when
9. Astronomers at the Palomar Observatory have discovered a distant supernova explosion, one that they
believe is
a type previously unknown to science.
(A) that they believe is
(B) that they believe it to be
(C) they believe that it is of
(D) they believe that is
(E) they believe to be of
10. However much United States voters may agree that there is waste in government and that the government
as a whole spends beyond its means, it is difficult to find broad support for a movement toward a minimal
state.
(A) However much United States voters may agree that
(B) Despite the agreement among United States voters to the fact
(C) Although United States voters agree
(D) Even though United States voters may agree
(E) There is agreement among United States voters that
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 40

Kudos [?]: 423 [0], given: 243

Premium Member
Re: Lets destroy OG , Started with OG 10 [#permalink] New post 25 Dec 2012, 18:24
Gr8 initiative Archit143, I guess it will help all irrespective of their preparation stage.

here are my answers

1-D
2-C
3-B
4-E
5-B
6-E
7--C ?( the greater their intellectual advantage in skills underlying reading ability and nonverbal logic) the word 'is' seems to be missing
8- D
9-E
10-A

How to CHOOSE your Business School
Thanks = Kudos. Kudos are appreciated

Rules for posting on the verbal forum
When you post a question Pls. Provide its source & TAG your questions
Avoid posting from unreliable sources such as 1000 series.

1 KUDOS received
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 263 [1] , given: 67

Re: Lets destroy OG , Started with OG 10 [#permalink] New post 25 Dec 2012, 19:23
This post received
KUDOS
Lets discuss First one....................
1. The Wallerstein study indicates that even after a decade young men and women still experience some of
the effects of a divorce occurring when a child.
(A) occurring when a child
(B) occurring when children
(C) that occurred when a child
(D) that occurred when they were children
(E) that has occurred as each was a child
Its pretty straight fwd but we will try to analyze S_V error exist. Some may be misguide that last clause "the effects of a divorce occuring when a child does not has a verb but its wrong here divorce is used as a verb and not as a noun, Moreover Occuring Is correctly modifying the preceding noun but the meaning is not clear. Hence it cannot be termed as the right answer and Hence A is wrong. The use of Child is wrong , it should be children. Option C, D and E correctly uses that but Option C wrongly uses Child and hence is wrong.... E uses past perfect "Has" and hence is wrong...The correct answer is D. Note that Use Of each here has nothing to do with the singular uses...each when used not as subject has no impact on the verb
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 263 [0], given: 67

Re: Lets destroy OG , Started with OG 10 [#permalink] New post 25 Dec 2012, 19:37
dentobizz wrote:
Gr8 initiative Archit143, I guess it will help all irrespective of their preparation stage.

here are my answers

1-D
2-C
3-B
4-E
5-B
6-E
7--C ?( the greater their intellectual advantage in skills underlying reading ability and nonverbal logic) the word 'is' seems to be missing
8- D
9-E
10-A

All your answers are correct and yes the option given in Q7 is correct and is not mentioned in the source which i have i checked a previous post on the same question that also does not has "is"....i think is should be mentioned or else we will have a Sub Verb must exit error "the greater their intellectual advantage in skills underlying reading ability and nonverbal logic" is a dependent clause and it does not has a verb.. Correct me if i am wrong but yes OG questions cannot have an issue they are undoubtedly the proven answer.
VP
VP

Re: Lets destroy OG , Started with OG 10 [#permalink] New post 25 Dec 2012, 19:40
2. Since 1981, when the farm depression began, the number of acres overseen by professional
farm-management companies have grown from 48 million to nearly 59 million, an area that is about
Colorado's size.
(A) have grown from 48 million to nearly 59 million, an area that is about Colorado's size
(C) has grown from 48 million to nearly 59 million, an area about the size of Colorado
(D) has grown from 48 million up to nearly 59 million, an area about the size of Colorado's

Pls comment on what is wrong is the usage of "about Colorado's size" i think its perfectly fine...only thing is that it has an idionm error in option E i.e from X up to y
VP
VP

Re: Lets destroy OG , Started with OG 10 [#permalink] New post 25 Dec 2012, 19:41
Comments on other questions are welcome...
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.75
Followers: 126

Kudos [?]: 615 [1] , given: 62

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Lets destroy OG , Started with OG 10 [#permalink] New post 25 Dec 2012, 19:51
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Archit143 wrote:
Colorado's size.

Pls comment on what is wrong is the usage of "about Colorado's size" i think its perfectly fine...only thing is that it has an idionm error in option E i.e from X up to y

Hii Archit.
In the correct answer choice, it is a must to use an appositive. An appositive describes a noun which is far away. In the status quo, without the appositive "an area" it seems that number is about the Colorado's size. If you use appositive "an area", then in such a case 59 million would be treated together with "acres" AS AN AREA.
Another issue with E is that it uses possessives. GMAT tends to avoid that. In fact, answer choice D seems nice unless you notice the usage of possessive noun.
Hope that helps.

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting
www.Univ-Scholarships.com

VP
VP

Re: Lets destroy OG , Started with OG 10 [#permalink] New post 25 Dec 2012, 20:06
Agre with you Marcab seems very informal without appositive here. Coming to the point of possessive is it the case only restricted to comparision or SC as a whole.
Hey Marcab need ur help in 9 th question. I m not sure what is wrong with Option C.
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 615 [2] , given: 62

Re: Lets destroy OG , Started with OG 10 [#permalink] New post 25 Dec 2012, 20:14
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Please elaborate on your first question.
To your second question-
Quote:
9. Astronomers at the Palomar Observatory have discovered a distant supernova explosion, one that they
believe is a type previously unknown to science.
(A) that they believe is
(B) that they believe it to be
(C) they believe that it is of
(D) they believe that is
(E) they believe to be of

In the answer choice C, there is an issue of redundancy. Why shall we be needing another pronoun when already we have mentioned "one" that points to the supernova explosion? Logical isn't it?
Hope that helps.

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 118 [1] , given: 63

Re: Lets destroy OG , Started with OG 10 [#permalink] New post 25 Dec 2012, 20:17
This post received
KUDOS
The 9th question is testing idiom. Believe to be is the preferred format. BTW great initiative.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Re: Lets destroy OG , Started with OG 10 [#permalink] New post 25 Dec 2012, 20:22
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hii nelz.
Haven't seen you on the forum for a while. Hows your prep going?

Rules For Posting

1 KUDOS received
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 263 [1] , given: 67

Re: Lets destroy OG , Started with OG 10 [#permalink] New post 25 Dec 2012, 20:35
This post received
KUDOS
nelz007 wrote:
The 9th question is testing idiom. Believe to be is the preferred format. BTW great initiative.

Lets see till when can i sustain.. So great initiative needs to be applauded with kudos so where is mine :wink:

Coming to the question i had previously read "think of x to be y " as wrong I have noted it down in my error log "Think X as Y " is correct hence i used the same logic but in my hindsight believe that "believe x to be y " is true...If someone can come up with a perfect reasoning and evidence as to which one is correct i.e. "Believe X to be Y" or "Believe of X as Y"
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Re: Lets destroy OG , Started with OG 10 [#permalink] New post 25 Dec 2012, 22:17
This post received
KUDOS
Marcab wrote:
Hii nelz.
Haven't seen you on the forum for a while. Hows your prep going?

Hey Marcab, prep is goin pretty well, thanks. Hows your prep coming along?

Archit143 wrote:
nelz007 wrote:

Lets see till when can i sustain.. So great initiative needs to be applauded with kudos so where is mine :wink:

Coming to the question i had previously read "think of x to be y " as wrong I have noted it down in my error log "Think X as Y " is correct hence i used the same logic but in my hindsight believe that "believe x to be y " is true...If someone can come up with a perfect reasoning and evidence as to which one is correct i.e. "Believe X to be Y" or "Believe of X as Y"

I don't think its believe of X as Y I've never heard of that idiom (it doesn't sound right). Also note it is "Think of X as Y" Zeke has a comprehensive Idiom list over here :

http://www.gmatpill.com/the-gmat-pill-m ... diom-list/

gmat club idiom test is good practice I usually take the test once a week.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Re: Lets destroy OG , Started with OG 10 [#permalink] New post 25 Dec 2012, 22:25
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Preparations are going well, apart from verbal. Sometimes SC becomes my strong area, sometimes CR and sometimes RC. Don't have any idea what am I going to do on the real thing.

Rules For Posting

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Followers: 287

Kudos [?]: 2411 [1] , given: 693

Re: Lets destroy OG , Started with OG 10 [#permalink] New post 26 Dec 2012, 04:33
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
remember that verbal is the most important part of the test.

If you pick even 60% right on quant but in verbal you are strong, really, you can reach easely 720 730 it depends.

RC also is the most underrated part but in the end is the part that affects your verbal part. ;)

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS
Quant: 1. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 2. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 3. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version
Verbal:1. Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section 2. e-GMAT's ALL CR topics-Consolidated 3. New Critical Reasoning question bank by carcass 4. Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik 5. e-GMAT's ALL SC topics-Consolidated-2nd Edition 6. The best reading to improve Reading Comprehension 7.Verbal question bank and Directories

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GPA: 3.65
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [1] , given: 52

Re: Lets destroy OG , Started with OG 10 [#permalink] New post 26 Dec 2012, 05:01
This post received
KUDOS
dentobizz wrote:

here are my answers

1-D
2-C
3-B
4-E
5-B
6-E
8- D
9-E
10-A

hi everyone,,,,
my answers are as follows,,,,
1D
2E
3B
4E
5B
6A
7C
8D
9A
10C

Four out of ten are wrong,,can anyone help me in figuring out my problems,,,,Thank You In advance....
3 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 118 [3] , given: 63

Re: Lets destroy OG , Started with OG 10 [#permalink] New post 26 Dec 2012, 05:16
This post received
KUDOS
Marcab wrote:
Preparations are going well, apart from verbal. Sometimes SC becomes my strong area, sometimes CR and sometimes RC. Don't have any idea what am I going to do on the real thing.

I had the same problem initially so I kept mixing things up 5 CR then 5 SC then an RC and keep switching back to SC, CR etc first few days wasn't that great but after few days I got used to it and was having pretty good accuracy in all 3 areas.

carcass wrote:

If you pick even 60% right on quant but in verbal you are strong, really, you can reach easely 720 730 it depends.

RC also is the most underrated part but in the end is the part that affects your verbal part. ;)

Well said carcass its true verbal is really important for a good GMAT score.

If you score 99th percentile in Verbal (49V), and your Quant score is…
39Q = 57th percentile = Total (730, 96th percentile)
41Q = 63th percentile = Total (730, 96th percentile)
43Q = 70th percentile = Total (740, 97th percentile)

If you score 99th percentile in Math (51Q), and your Verbal score is…
30V = 57th percentile = Total (670, 85th percentile)
32V = 65th percentile = Total (690, 88th percentile)
34V = 70th percentile = Total (710, 92nd percentile)
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 423 [0], given: 243

Premium Member
Re: Lets destroy OG , Started with OG 10 [#permalink] New post 26 Dec 2012, 05:22
agree with u completely. Was just wondering really strong in verbal would translate to a score of 40? 42?? And how many questions u need to correctly answer for that to happen??
carcass wrote:

Posted from my mobile device Image

Posted from my mobile device Image

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Re: Lets destroy OG , Started with OG 10 [#permalink] New post 26 Dec 2012, 05:50
This post received
KUDOS
Maryam787 wrote:
hi everyone,,,,
1D
2E
3B
4E
5B
6A
7C
8D
9A
10C

Four out of ten are wrong,,can anyone help me in figuring out my problems,,,,Thank You In advance....

question 2 is discussed earlier.

question 6 attempt to is the preferred idiom only E has this.

Question 9 is testing idiom believe to be is the preferred format so E is correct.

Question 10 is testing consistency. Keyword "AND"
sentence structure is something like this

However much United States voters may agree
1) that there is waste in government
2) that the government as a whole spends beyond its means, it is difficult to find broad support for a movement toward a minimal state.

option C doesn't have consistency.
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 423 [1] , given: 243

Premium Member
Re: Lets destroy OG , Started with OG 10 [#permalink] New post 26 Dec 2012, 06:05
This post received
KUDOS
Maryam787 wrote:
dentobizz wrote:

here are my answers

1-D
2-C
3-B
4-E
5-B
6-E
8- D
9-E
10-A

hi everyone,,,,
1D
2E
3B
4E
5B
6A
7C
8D
9A
10C

believe is a type previously unknown to science.
(A) that they believe is--when you have 'one' referring back to explosion you don't need that (hence wrong due to redundancy issue )
(B) that they believe it to be---that and it again redundancy issue
(C) they believe that it is of--same issue as B
(D) they believe that is--Same issue as A
(E) they believe to be of----correct idiom no redundancy so it E

10. However much United States voters may agree that there is waste in government and that the government
as a whole spends beyond its means, it is difficult to find broad support for a movement toward a minimal
state.

MAY agree= probability VS agree/agreement= certainty , so B ,C, E-Change the meaning of the sentence
(A) However much United States voters may agree that
(B) Despite the agreement among United States voters to the fact
(C) Although United States voters agree
(D) Even though United States voters may agree there is waste in government and that the government
state.---may agree THAT , 'that' is missing we need a relative clause after agree and the absence of THAT spoils the parallelism with (and that the government as a whole..............)
(E) There is agreement among United States voters that

so A it is

Re: Lets destroy OG , Started with OG 10   [#permalink] 26 Dec 2012, 06:05