Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 11 Jul 2014, 12:55

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

LetsGoMets Debrief - A Surprise 780 (50M 47V 6.0 AWA) - 7/09

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Current Student
Schools: Emory 2012
WE 1: 1 yr proprietary trading
WE 2: 2 yrs global ibank in municipal derivatives
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 11

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
LetsGoMets Debrief - A Surprise 780 (50M 47V 6.0 AWA) - 7/09 [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2010, 21:12
Score: 780 (Q50, V47, 6.0AWA)
Date (MM, YYYY): 07, 2009
Best Prep Materials: Veritas weekend intensive verbal course

I'm not the biggest fan of debriefs because I feel like I'm showing off (which is certainly not my intent). I feel like I took the test months ago and don't really remember the specifics. But, in the interest of helping others, I'll write a little something.

I was being laid off from work due to a job relocation, I had trained my replacement, and my company was cool with me studying for test while being around in case something work related went wrong. So, for 2.5 weeks total, from 9-6ish, I spent the majority of my time studying. I'm a math guy, so anything less than perfection would annoy me. My verbal skills weren't that great in high school (I scored 630 on the SAT Verbal), but I did think they improved through college. Despite this, I signed up for a weekend intensive course through Veritas.

The reasoning for Veritas was twofold: The timing was best, and they offered a verbal-only course.

Anyway, because of the course, I had access to 8 practice tests. I didn't study anything else (until the course). I just took practice tests. I wanted to get the timing right. I actually would take the same test multiple times to make sure that concepts sunk in. Being that the test is adaptive, when you retake it and change a wrong answer (the first go-round) to a correct answer this time, you get new questions afterwards. I'd keep track of my scores the first time I took each practice test, but I would retake each test until I had a 790, and then I'd move on.

This process continued for 2 weeks. Note, I didn't study at all on the weekends (course time excluded), I thought my 40 hour weeks of studying was enough.

The weekend course was really an all day thing both Saturday and Sunday. I had my test the Thursday immediately following the course.

That Monday I wrote practice essays for the first time. I didn't think there was any need beforehand, and the course gave what was a surefire way to score a 6 on the AWA, so I just needed to make sure the timing worked. For the rest of the week, I just took practice tests during work. My scores were improving and I was consistently 730+ with verbal scores being anywhere from 38 to 49.

Test Day: My test was at noon. I actually went into work beforehand. I did some work-related stuff and actually looked over a math section. While math is by far my best subject (and I didn't need the extra practice), taking a practice math section actually eased my nerves.

In general I think it's good to go into a test on a high note. I saw I scored 51 on the practice math, and I was ready to go.

I got to the test center, checked in, go my picture taken, palm scanned, etc, and asked them about whether I could have a snack after the essays. I'm not very superstitious, but I do have one superstition that stems from winning a middle-school math contest, I eat a twix bar before any math-related standardized test. It worked during mathcounts, and I kept it through the SATs, APs, and international math contests, and I wasn't about to change now.

I wrote my essays. The topics were not difficult, and I stuck to Veritas' format. After 2 essays, I took my break, ate my twix and then went back to the test. The math section was harder than I expected. I normally would have about 7 minutes left over on practices, and here I only had 3.5 minutes left when I was done. Maybe I was trying to be extra careful, or maybe the test was harder than I expected. In any case, it was done, and I didn't feel great about it.

The verbal section was next. I tried to read every question aloud under my breath (Very quietly - almost completely inaudibly). Maybe it keeps me focused, or maybe I do better when I hear something as opposed to reading it (particularly when it comes to grammar). Whatever it was, I was pretty on that day. I remember thinking to myself, "these questions weren't that hard, I must have royally F'd up the beginning". In any case, because I thought the questions were easy, I really convinced myself that I bombed the test. But, it was over.

I clicked the button to end the test, and it asked if I wanted my scores. I took a minute (seriously - you can score a 780 and have NO IDEA that you did that well), and decided to see the score.

To all you kiddies out there wondering whether you should cancel your test - DON'T CANCEL YOUR SCORE.

Say whatever you want, but my first focus was on the math. When I saw 50 rather than 51, I was really pissed. For a moment, I was thinking to myself, "damn, I knew I screwed up the test, I can't wait to see how badly I did on the rest". And then I saw the verbal score and was pleasantly shocked. And then I saw the 780 and I just laughed. I left the room with a smile ear to ear, and 8 months later, I don't have any idea how it happened.

http://www.mbavolunteers.org - check it out

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Veritas Prep GMAT Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 61 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: LetsGoMets Debrief - A Surprise 780 (50M 47V 6.0 AWA) - 7/09 [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2010, 00:24
Great score.
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2134

Kudos [?]: 7279 [0], given: 3618

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: LetsGoMets Debrief - A Surprise 780 (50M 47V 6.0 AWA) - 7/09 [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2010, 07:56
Expert's post
Thank you for sharing LetsGoMets!

I have added your thread to the prep course review thread.

P.S. About showing off - you are definitely nowhere close to where others are (i.e. starting a gmat discussion forum to show off my 750 :lol: )

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: LetsGoMets Debrief - A Surprise 780 (50M 47V 6.0 AWA) - 7/09 [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2010, 17:31
GREAT SCORE & thanks for sharing!
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 5

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: LetsGoMets Debrief - A Surprise 780 (50M 47V 6.0 AWA) - 7/09 [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2010, 20:36
That's a monster score. Good luck with your apps.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 44

GMAT Tests User
Re: LetsGoMets Debrief - A Surprise 780 (50M 47V 6.0 AWA) - 7/09 [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2010, 11:11
congrats! awesome score....
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Re: LetsGoMets Debrief - A Surprise 780 (50M 47V 6.0 AWA) - 7/09 [#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2010, 23:03
congratulations !!!! you have a got a great score.
Re: LetsGoMets Debrief - A Surprise 780 (50M 47V 6.0 AWA) - 7/09   [#permalink] 02 Apr 2010, 23:03