Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Sep 2014, 05:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

letter for recs

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
VP
VP
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 195 [0], given: 31

GMAT Tests User
letter for recs [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2008, 14:47
As stated before, I am self-employed

Who should I use for letter of recommendations?

Last edited by lagomez on 14 Apr 2008, 10:05, edited 1 time in total.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 42

Kudos [?]: 339 [1] , given: 64

GMAT Tests User
Re: profile evaluation for 2009 [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2008, 10:08
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
lagomez,

You have a strong and very promising profile and should be able to aim high. You have a chance at most of the top entrepreneurship programs including Wharton, MIT, USC, Babson, UNC, UCLA, Kellogg, Haas, Michigan, etc. If you want to take a swing at Stanford and HBS I wouldn't try very hard to talk you out of it, but age will be an issue.

Not sure you need to work on anything to be honest. As mentioned, the age is a negative so you will need to address the Why Now issue clearly. You could start lining up and prepping your recommenders--you'll need letters by people who are totally involved and enthusiastic about the process. You could also begin visiting and building networks at the schools among alumni and students.

Good luck,

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

VP
VP
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 195 [0], given: 31

GMAT Tests User
Re: profile evaluation for 2009 [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2008, 10:39
thank you for the evaluation and I must say, it sounds encouraging. I would like to contact your company once b-school essays start coming out. I've been thinking about the essays and sometimes I feel that I have trouble putting it all together into a package that sounds well thought out and cohesive. More often that not, I feel that I "jump around" too much.

My top schools are MIT, Yale, and Haas. From what I've read, the HBS culture is not my "cup of tea". Like I said, based purely on what I've read. I could be mistaken, and everyone has a different opinion. Is there a web site or book that goes into depth regarding b-school cultures at the various schools?

Again, thank you for your help.
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 42

Kudos [?]: 339 [0], given: 64

GMAT Tests User
Re: profile evaluation for 2009 [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2008, 12:10
Expert's post
lagomez,

I'd be happy to work with you in the summer when the apps begin to come out. In terms of getting a feel for B-schools' cultures I like Business Week's "The Best Business Schools" though the last edition is a bit out of date. Visiting the top schools' websites will also give you a real feel for how they perceive themselves.

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog