Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Sep 2014, 03:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Letter of rec: asked for outline of what I want said

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 12

Letter of rec: asked for outline of what I want said [#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2013, 07:50
Greetings all,

I work for an approx. 20-30 person media firm where the CEO is heavily involved with the day-to-day operations. I recently asked him if he would be willing to write a letter of recommendation and he agreed to.

However, he asked me for an outline or list of what I'd like the letter of rec to include. I can see potential benefits and negatives to this.

Is there a general list of traits and characteristics I should be looking for him to discuss? Things like work ethic, personality, etc? I'll admit that I have zero experience with this as this is my first time applying to grad schools so I'm a little lost.

Any advice would be appreciated.
BSchool Forum Moderator
Affiliations: SPG Platinum, Southwest A-List
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.56
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 85 [0], given: 24

Premium Member
Re: Letter of rec: asked for outline of what I want said [#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2013, 08:57
rxn wrote:
Greetings all,

I work for an approx. 20-30 person media firm where the CEO is heavily involved with the day-to-day operations. I recently asked him if he would be willing to write a letter of recommendation and he agreed to.

However, he asked me for an outline or list of what I'd like the letter of rec to include. I can see potential benefits and negatives to this.

Is there a general list of traits and characteristics I should be looking for him to discuss? Things like work ethic, personality, etc? I'll admit that I have zero experience with this as this is my first time applying to grad schools so I'm a little lost.

Here is a great resource (with a list of traits and characteristics): letters-of-recommendation-the-guide-143172.html
MBA Blogger
Concentration: General Management, Nonprofit
Schools: HBS '16, Fuqua
GMAT 1: 510 Q25 V36
GMAT 2: 510 Q29 V31
WE: Research (Non-Profit and Government)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 8

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Letter of rec: asked for outline of what I want said [#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2013, 14:49
Study USA and Fulbright UK website provide some good advice.

I also think one of the MBA consultants produce something. Think it is MBA admissions.

Proberly a good thing he asked. It means he wants to think about what to write and what you need.

Posted from my mobile device Image
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 2

Re: Letter of rec: asked for outline of what I want said [#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2013, 07:51
Also give him a quick reminder of the projects that you worked on and or specific examples of the traits that you provided. The less you can have him think about the work that you did, the easier the letter of recommendation will be.
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 79 [0], given: 2

Re: Letter of rec: asked for outline of what I want said [#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2013, 22:43
rxn wrote:
Greetings all,

Instead of giving him a general list of desirable traits, I would recommend that you share a list of traits very specific to your profile. In your application (SOP or essays), you would have focused on certain personal and professional traits? Share those with your recommender and let him know that these are the key messages you want to convey through your application. For example, if 'initiative' is a trait you want to highlight, your recommender could possibly cite an example of a situation in which you demonstrated initiative.

However, do make sure that the recommendation letter and your application do not talk about the exact same things - that would come across as a 'rigged' application! :)

Gowri N Kishore
Admissions Consultant

If you find our response valuable, please encourage us with Kudos!

Live online classes by 99th percentile instructors!
http://gmat.crackverbal.com/gmat-courses/online/gmat-live-course/

Get a FREE profile evaluation from CrackVerbal experts!
http://applications.crackverbal.com/free-resources/profile-evaluation/

Last edited by CrackVerbalGMAT on 08 Oct 2013, 04:48, edited 1 time in total.
Expert Post
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 535 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: Letter of rec: asked for outline of what I want said [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2013, 04:34
Expert's post
zacharias499 wrote:
Also give him a quick reminder of the projects that you worked on and or specific examples of the traits that you provided. The less you can have him think about the work that you did, the easier the letter of recommendation will be.

I agree with this. SPECIFIC projects with SPECIFIC results, and only the best of the best.

Good luck!

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Re: Letter of rec: asked for outline of what I want said   [#permalink] 08 Oct 2013, 04:34