Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 14:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Letter of Recommendation from an Extra-Curricular source

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
GPA: 3.35
WE: Project Management (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Letter of Recommendation from an Extra-Curricular source [#permalink] New post 06 May 2013, 14:20
Instead of asking my direct superior and his direct superior (both of whom I work closely with) to write my letters of recommendation, since this would be fairly redundant, I am considering replacing one of them with my direct partner within the American Cancer Society, of which I am a committed volunteer in a fairly high position (I am the Volunteer Event Chair for the Relay for Life for a large city).

Is this not a good idea? It is a fairly "professional" EC.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 106 [1] , given: 0

Re: Letter of Recommendation from an Extra-Curricular source [#permalink] New post 06 May 2013, 16:18
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hi jforsland,

Absolutely do that! If having two superiors will be redundant then you are sacrificing nothing in that regard. Schools want to see multiple sides of you and being a dedicated volunteer in a leadership position for a high impact non profit is a great way to do just that!

Your recommendations should not only complement one another by showcasing a variety of perspectives and skills / development needs, but also play across the rest of your application to make sure they're communicating in the best possible way to share your story.

I think it's a wonderful idea!

Bhavik

Bhavik
Managing Partner

Critical Square | MBA Admissions Services

Web | Blog | Free Resources | Facebook | Twitter

Was this post helpful to you? Give a Kudos and let me know!

Re: Letter of Recommendation from an Extra-Curricular source   [#permalink] 06 May 2013, 16:18