Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Apr 2014, 23:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Letter of recommendations - previous or current employer?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 700 Q V
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 5

Letter of recommendations - previous or current employer? [#permalink] New post 03 Jul 2011, 15:33
Hi all,

Just wondering - I'm hoping not to have to go through my current boss to ask for a recommendation letter, the reason being that by the time I apply in Round 1, I'll have only worked at this job for about 1-yr and 8 mths or so... and am just hoping to avoid any awkwardness given that I start b-school literally a full year (or 6 mths depending on school start-date) after applying in R1.

So my question is, do adcom's require applicants to submit letters of recommendation from the current employer? Or can I submit letters from my previous employer(s) without needing one from my current employer?

Thanks!
Retired Moderator
Schools: University of Virginia
Followers: 18

Kudos [?]: 197 [0], given: 37

GMAT Tests User
Re: Letter of recommendations - previous or current employer? [#permalink] New post 03 Jul 2011, 16:07
There's absolutely no requirement to get letters from your current boss; in fact, all adcoms know that some folks will not be able to obtain letters because of the potential repercussions from current boss. Don't worry about this and just get two great letters. You will, however, need to explain this in your optional essay but trust me, you're not the only one and adcoms would be okay with it.
Manager
Manager

Re: Letter of recommendations - previous or current employer? [#permalink] New post 03 Jul 2011, 16:09
bakfed wrote:
There's absolutely no requirement to get letters from your current boss; in fact, all adcoms know that some folks will not be able to obtain letters because of the potential repercussions from current boss. Don't worry about this and just get two great letters. You will, however, need to explain this in your optional essay but trust me, you're not the only one and adcoms would be okay with it.

Wow, that's a big relief!

But do you think that if, for example, I've only worked at 2 jobs - my current job and my previous job. I have great experience at my current job and will look to capitalize on my current work experiences in my essay and interviews... but the fact that I don't get a recommendation letter from my current boss, will that be a 'weird signal' to the adcom's that maybe I'm hiding something? Will they look at this negatively in any way?

Thanks so much!
Retired Moderator

GMAT Tests User
Re: Letter of recommendations - previous or current employer? [#permalink] New post 03 Jul 2011, 16:39
kdub09 wrote:
bakfed wrote:

But do you think that if, for example, I've only worked at 2 jobs - my current job and my previous job. I have great experience at my current job and will look to capitalize on my current work experiences in my essay and interviews... but the fact that I don't get a recommendation letter from my current boss, will that be a 'weird signal' to the adcom's that maybe I'm hiding something? Will they look at this negatively in any way?

Thanks so much!

Personally speaking, yes, I think it'll be a bit weird for you to harp on the pros of your current job but aren't willing to obtain a letter. However, going back to the original issue that there will be people who love their current job but are afraid to ask for letters (again, repercussions reasons), it's not uncommon. It's really something that you just briefly touch on in the optional essay and it should suffice.
Manager
Manager

Re: Letter of recommendations - previous or current employer? [#permalink] New post 03 Jul 2011, 16:44
bakfed wrote:
kdub09 wrote:
bakfed wrote:

Thanks so much!

Personally speaking, yes, I think it'll be a bit weird for you to harp on the pros of your current job but aren't willing to obtain a letter. However, going back to the original issue that there will be people who love their current job but are afraid to ask for letters (again, repercussions reasons), it's not uncommon. It's really something that you just briefly touch on in the optional essay and it should suffice.

Thanks for the advice!
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: Letter of recommendations - previous or current employer? [#permalink] New post 04 Jul 2011, 03:05
kdub09 wrote:
Hi all,

Just wondering - I'm hoping not to have to go through my current boss to ask for a recommendation letter, the reason being that by the time I apply in Round 1, I'll have only worked at this job for about 1-yr and 8 mths or so... and am just hoping to avoid any awkwardness given that I start b-school literally a full year (or 6 mths depending on school start-date) after applying in R1.

So my question is, do adcom's require applicants to submit letters of recommendation from the current employer? Or can I submit letters from my previous employer(s) without needing one from my current employer?

Thanks!

might be useful
Choose people close to you rather than big names at your company:

This advice is written and repeated in all the MBA guides. Some candidates feel obliged to have well known individuals recommend them because they think business school prefers well connected candidates. The school actually places very little importance on the notoriety of the person who recommends you. So don't look to have the president of the company or your consulting firm's founding partner write your recommendation unless this person really does know you well. Rather look for people who have spent enough time working with you to be able to give an account of who you really are.

http://www.gmatcat.com/Letter_of_Recommendation.html
Director
Director
Affiliations: HBS Class of 2013
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 113 [0], given: 4

Premium Member
Re: Letter of recommendations - previous or current employer? [#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2011, 08:24
kdub09 wrote:
bakfed wrote:

Thanks so much!

I remember at least one of my applications that had an optional essay for explaining why I didn't include a recommendation from my current boss. I wrote that I had only been working for him for about 6 months and that the nature of the job didn't afford him many opportunities to observe me in stressful or demanding leadership situations and, as such, I chose two former bosses to write my recommendations. I think the "I can't tell my boss I want to leave for an MBA" answer would also be appropriate there.

As for who should write your letters, I'd go with your former boss (assuming you left on good terms) and either a peer or client you trust at your current job. I used a peer for my third recommendation for Stanford (a requirement there, actually) and for HBS and it worked out fine.

http://www.militarytobusiness.com/

Manager
Manager

Re: Letter of recommendations - previous or current employer? [#permalink] New post 06 Jul 2011, 17:16
emont wrote:
kdub09 wrote:
bakfed wrote:

Thanks so much!

I remember at least one of my applications that had an optional essay for explaining why I didn't include a recommendation from my current boss. I wrote that I had only been working for him for about 6 months and that the nature of the job didn't afford him many opportunities to observe me in stressful or demanding leadership situations and, as such, I chose two former bosses to write my recommendations. I think the "I can't tell my boss I want to leave for an MBA" answer would also be appropriate there.

As for who should write your letters, I'd go with your former boss (assuming you left on good terms) and either a peer or client you trust at your current job. I used a peer for my third recommendation for Stanford (a requirement there, actually) and for HBS and it worked out fine.

Unfortunately I don't have any peers at work that I'm close to or work directly with... my function/group is just me and my boss, and we're quite isolated from everyone else in terms of our daily functions. Would just getting recommendation letters from my previous employer suffice?
Retired Moderator

GMAT Tests User
Re: Letter of recommendations - previous or current employer? [#permalink] New post 06 Jul 2011, 21:57
Ultimately, you just have to remember and realize that whoever it is that you choose to write your letter, he/she should be in the best of interest for you. It doesn't matter if it's a past employer as schools understand the minute details of getting letters can be tricky. As long as you feel your past employer can spare a fair respresentation of you, you're solid.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: Letter of recommendations - previous or current employer? [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2011, 02:59
bakfed wrote:
As long as you feel your past employer can spare a fair respresentation of you, you're solid.

Agree with that!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: Letter of recommendations - previous or current employer? [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2011, 15:34
Im in similar boat if that makes you feel any better. Im currently heading up a high priority project at work and if those around me knew about the b school plans I think all hell will break loose.

My former supervisor at previous job and former colleague at 2 jobs prior are going to write my recs. You will be ok. :)

Posted from my mobile device Image

~ PickyTooth - Eat Like a Local Foodie // www.pickytooth.com ~

Re: Letter of recommendations - previous or current employer?   [#permalink] 07 Jul 2011, 15:34