Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Aug 2014, 09:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Letter to the editor: Proposition Q, a controversial measure

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 24

Kudos [?]: 343 [0], given: 19

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Letter to the editor: Proposition Q, a controversial measure [#permalink] New post 05 May 2012, 21:45
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

42% (02:33) correct 58% (01:26) wrong based on 259 sessions
Letter to the editor: Proposition Q, a controversial measure on this year’s ballot, would
prohibit the ownership of handguns within the city’s limits. Under the plan, gun owners
would have a 90-day grace period to turn in their weapons to authorities. Proponents of the
proposition argue that fewer handguns on the streets would lead to less violent crime,
making the city safer for all of its citizens.
Unfortunately, the ban would actually have the
opposite effect. Since only law abiding citizens would honor the ban, armed criminals
would not only keep their weapons but would also have the confidence to act with
impunity on a population that could no longer defend itself.
In the letter to the editor, the
two portions in boldface play which of the following roles?
A) The first is an observation that the author uses to support a particular position; the second is
that position.
b) The first is a pattern of cause and effect that the author believes to be true; the second offers
evidence to contradict this pattern.
c) The first is a position that the author argues will not hold in this case; the second is the
author’s position.
d) The first is a prediction that the author believes to be untrue. The second is a statement of
fact that undermines the author’s position.
e) The first is a direct relationship that the author believes will not hold in this case; the second
offers evidence in support of the author’s position.

Main CR Qs link - cr-qs-600-700-level-131508.html
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Push +1 kudos button please, if you like my post.

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
GMAT Date: 03-20-2014
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 56

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Letter to the editor: Proposition Q, a controversial measure [#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2014, 09:46
Kindly provide explanation to this CR question. I chose C.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 53 [0], given: 7

Re: Letter to the editor: Proposition Q, a controversial measure [#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2014, 23:15
GetThisDone wrote:
Letter to the editor: Proposition Q, a controversial measure on this year’s ballot, would
prohibit the ownership of handguns within the city’s limits. Under the plan, gun owners
would have a 90-day grace period to turn in their weapons to authorities. Proponents of the
proposition argue that fewer handguns on the streets would lead to less violent crime,
making the city safer for all of its citizens.
Unfortunately, the ban would actually have the
opposite effect. Since only law abiding citizens would honor the ban, armed criminals
would not only keep their weapons but would also have the confidence to act with
impunity on a population that could no longer defend itself.
In the letter to the editor, the
two portions in boldface play which of the following roles?
A) The first is an observation that the author uses to support a particular position; the second is
that position.
b) The first is a pattern of cause and effect that the author believes to be true; the second offers
evidence to contradict this pattern.
c) The first is a position that the author argues will not hold in this case; the second is the
author’s position.
d) The first is a prediction that the author believes to be untrue. The second is a statement of
fact that undermines the author’s position.
e) The first is a direct relationship that the author believes will not hold in this case; the second
offers evidence in support of the author’s position.

Main CR Qs link - cr-qs-600-700-level-131508.html

In the first boldface the proponents claim that fewer handguns on the streets will lead to less violent crime. In the second boldface the author provides evidence to refute the proponent's claim.

Thus - a,b and d are out right wrong and thus eliminated.

Left with c and e - In C second boldface is not the author's position, it is evidence to support the position. The author's position is: Unfortunately, the ban would actually have the opposite effect.

Thus, we are left with e. Hope this helps.

Paras.

If you found my post helpful give KUDOS!!! Everytime you thank me but don't give Kudos, an Angel dies!

My GMAT Debrief:

I am now providing personalized one to one GMAT coaching over Skype at a nominal fee. Hurry up to get an early bird discount! Send me an IM to know more.

Manager
Manager
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 247

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: Letter to the editor: Proposition Q, a controversial measure [#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2014, 01:32
Isnt the word "Evidence " in the OA wrong? I don't find any evidence there. what is the source of this question?
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 53 [0], given: 7

Re: Letter to the editor: Proposition Q, a controversial measure [#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2014, 02:19
akankshasoneja wrote:
Isnt the word "Evidence " in the OA wrong? I don't find any evidence there. what is the source of this question?

hmmm yeah...I'd agree with your point. It is more of a claim than evidence.

Paras.

If you found my post helpful give KUDOS!!! Everytime you thank me but don't give Kudos, an Angel dies!

My GMAT Debrief:

I am now providing personalized one to one GMAT coaching over Skype at a nominal fee. Hurry up to get an early bird discount! Send me an IM to know more.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Operations, Human Resources
Schools: ISB '16, IIMA (M)
GPA: 4
WE: Human Resources (Human Resources)

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 47

Re: Letter to the editor: Proposition Q, a controversial measure [#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2014, 05:26
idinuv

Letter to the editor:

proponents of the Proposition Q- feel that fewer handguns on the streets would lead to less violent crime, making the city safer for all of its citizens.------premise/ evidence- fewer handguns on the streets would lead to less violent crime( A leads to B- Direct relationship)
---------------conclusion - city safer for all of its citizens.

author----- premise/ evidence---- armed criminals would not only keep their weapons but would also have the confidence to act with impunity on a population that could no longer defend itself....
conclusion-----city will not be safe.....

c) The first is a position that the author argues will not hold in this case; the second is the author’s position.....the first BF may be correct .. the second is not....it is not author's position but evidence......

e) The first is a direct relationship that the author believes will not hold in this case; the second offers evidence in support of the author’s position..........BF1- author believes it will not hold true......BF2- AUTHOR'S EVIDENCE.......CORRECT

KUDOS IF YOU PLEASE...
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT Date: 10-06-2014
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 17

Re: Letter to the editor: Proposition Q, a controversial measure [#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2014, 11:44
akankshasoneja wrote:

The author's claim is
Unfortunately, the ban would actually have the opposite effect.

And the evidence author provides to support his claim is the next sentence
Since only law abiding citizens would honor the ban, armed criminals would not only keep their weapons but would also have the confidence to act with impunity on a population that could no longer defend itself.

Life is a highway
I wanna ride it all night long

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 110

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Letter to the editor: Proposition Q, a controversial measure [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2014, 01:22
prasun9 wrote:
akankshasoneja wrote:

The author's claim is
Unfortunately, the ban would actually have the opposite effect.

And the evidence author provides to support his claim is the next sentence
Since only law abiding citizens [b]would honor the ban, armed criminals would not only keep their weapons but would also have the confidence to act with impunity on a population that could no longer defend itself.[/b]

i do agree, second cant be an evidence. Evidence has to be an undiputable fact. The usage of 'would' in the second bold face suggest that author is not sure of the outcome and it could best be author's belief or claim.

“Confidence comes not from always being right but from not fearing to be wrong.”

Manager
Manager
WE: Design (Transportation)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 67

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Letter to the editor: Proposition Q, a controversial measure [#permalink] New post 20 Jun 2014, 13:59
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2013/gmat-criti ... questions/

I read it here that Evidence is something that has 'happened' in objective world.
Re: Letter to the editor: Proposition Q, a controversial measure   [#permalink] 20 Jun 2014, 13:59