Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Aug 2014, 17:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Letter writer: Illegal drug use is often associated with

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Letter writer: Illegal drug use is often associated with [#permalink] New post 04 Jul 2007, 19:40
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

67% (00:00) correct 33% (02:45) wrong based on 2 sessions
Letter writer: Illegal drug use is often associated with other serious problems, such as armed robbery and other violent crimes. Statistics indicate that each time police increase their enforcement of anti-drug laws in the city, the number of violent crimes committed in the city declines as a result. However, eliminating criminal penalties for drug use would almost certainly decrease rather than increase the incidence of armed robbery and other violent crime. If drugs were no longer illegal, the price would drop precipitously, and drug users would no longer need to commit crimes to acquire the money necessary to support their drug habits.
In the letter writer’s argument, the two portions in boldface play which of the following roles?

A) The first is support offered by the letter writer for a certain forecast; the second is that forecast.
B) The first acknowledges an observation that refutes the main position that the letter writer takes; the second is that position.
C) The first is a direct relationship between two activities that the letter writer argues is an infallible predictor of future events; the second acknowledges a circumstance in which that relationship would not apply.
D) The first is a direct relationship between two activities that the letter writer predicts will not hold in the future; the second offers information that, if true, would support that prediction.
E) The first is a statement that the letter writer believes is true; the second is presented as a logical inference drawn from the truth of that statement.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2007, 00:51
I pick D......
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 136 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2007, 01:13
I'll go for B. The first BF is an observation (since it says statistics indicated....), and this observation refutes the main position that the author has (to decrease crime rates, making drug legal is the way to go, and not strict enforment)
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2007, 08:11
I will take D

~sara
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2007, 08:27
D it is.
C says the relationship wouldn't apply in the second case...but the second just supports the arguments main conclusion and says nothing abt the relationship.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
 [#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2007, 15:37
Clear D
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2007, 09:20
Mine is 'B'

Agreed to ywilfred's explanation.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 08 Jul 2007, 14:43
Do we have an OA here? My main complaint with D is that the passage isn't talking about the future; it is talking about a hypothetical scenario. We are given no way to infer that, in the future, drugs will be legal and thus destroying the relationship between drug use and crime. Thus D is disqualified.

C would be most appropriate if the word infallible wasn't in there, but it is, so that choice is disqualified too. The rest of the choices aren't that great either.

I guess its D depending upon your interpretation.
VP
VP
Schools: Chicago Booth '11
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 149 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 08 Jul 2007, 16:28
Lone E !
VP
VP

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 08 Jul 2007, 16:34
misread ill go with d as 2 nd choice
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2007, 05:53
In my opinion, it's D.
OA and OE please......
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2007, 11:09
B.

It can't be D, because the author isn't making a prediction about future events. He is talking about a hypothetical situation.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2007, 11:51
guys, could you please explain why other answer choices are wrong?

I find it very difficult to answer these bold face questions. So, any explanations from y'all will certainly help.

for every person who doesn't try because he is
afraid of loosing , there is another person who
keeps making mistakes and succeeds..

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2007, 19:30
Sorry for the late response. Could not login for a week bcos of office work and then camping..-;)

OA is D

OE is given below. Note that second bold section is not author's position, it simply supports it

The letter writer believes that if criminal penalties for drug use are eliminated, the incidence of armed robbery and other violent crimes will decrease. In support of that belief, the letter writer offers the second boldface portion of the argument: an assertion that crimes are committed by drug users because they need money to buy expensive illegal drugs, and that if drugs were legal and therefore cheaper, the crimes would become unnecessary. The first boldface portion of the argument mentions an observed relationship between drug use and other crimes: when drug use declines, other crimes decline as well. This observation is counter to the letter writer’s ultimate claim.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2007, 09:51
iamba wrote:
Sorry for the late response. Could not login for a week bcos of office work and then camping..-;)

OA is D

OE is given below. Note that second bold section is not author's position, it simply supports it

The letter writer believes that if criminal penalties for drug use are eliminated, the incidence of armed robbery and other violent crimes will decrease. In support of that belief, the letter writer offers the second boldface portion of the argument: an assertion that crimes are committed by drug users because they need money to buy expensive illegal drugs, and that if drugs were legal and therefore cheaper, the crimes would become unnecessary. The first boldface portion of the argument mentions

an observed relationship between drug use and other crimes: when drug

use declines, other crimes decline as well. This observation is counter to the letter writer’s ultimate claim.

I'm kinda scrtchin my head on this one! Why the second is not author's position?
I thought this was B as I'm not sure how to justify the use of 'predict' in D.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2007, 10:10
I think B is the correct choice..the first bold sentence is the clause that refutes the main argument of the author ,which is the second bold sentence..

more over it can't be D ,because no where is the author making a prediction about the future..
VP
VP

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2007, 11:14
anyone else weigh in on this? on second review I think it should be B, how can D be the answer? When does he say he believes that the first statement will not hold true in the future? there is no reason for that statement not to hold true by any argument he makes.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2007, 12:16
D (I think)
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2007, 23:05
answer D here as well
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2007, 14:49
terp26 wrote:
anyone else weigh in on this? on second review I think it should be B, how can D be the answer? When does he say he believes that the first statement will not hold true in the future? there is no reason for that statement not to hold true by any argument he makes.

hey terp i agree with you that D (although it is OA) is somehow strange... since the author indeed never mentions something about the future... future and hypothetical scenario are two very different things...

however, your choice B can't be the answer since the author's position is not the bold sentence. the actual position is "eliminating criminal penalties for drug use would almost certainly decrease rather than increase the incidence of armed robbery and other violent crime". the second sentences serves as support

i think it is not one of the best questions of MGMAT... i think one weakness is also a missing differentiation between enforcing laws by police and eliminating penalities... whatever...
  [#permalink] 01 Sep 2007, 14:49