Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 12:23 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 12:23

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 308 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Health Care Marketing
Schools:Ross '10
Send PM
Re: letters of reccomendation [#permalink]
enginpasa1, please do a search before posting your question. Most questions will have been asked and answered before. I have merged your post with an older post in order to eliminate redundancy.

Regards your question, please DO NOT obtain recommendations from family members. Use your clients or other extra-curricular personnel.

enginpasa1 wrote:
OK so I am applying to an EMBA program. I work for family business and am senior sales manager within business. I am in need of two letters of recommendation. Naturally, the best recommendation would be from my supervisor. Can i still have my supervisor recommend me even though he is family?
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Send PM
Just to back up what others have said, I attended a Stanford info session in the summer of 2006. This is apparently a common question, and they said that while they recognize that it's hard, you really need to come up with someone who is not related to you. They recommended clients, suppliers, and others in the business that aren't family members. Community projects can also be a good source. Good luck.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Send PM
I understand. It will be easier to find a client or vendor. I can also have a professor that is teaching some of mba class to at the actual school to write a letter on my behalf.. Will this count? There is a link on the application to put in the email of the actual recommender, I put my family member in but it is noI dont know how to even delete it out of there, is this bad?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Engin
I am in the same boat. My understanding is I can use clients of mine. Even though that seems like its a conflict of interest as well, its better than a family member writing it.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Send PM
Same boat. I got a client I work with on a daily basis and one of the managers (not related) to write them. As far as there still being a conflict...I don't think it's anymore than any other boss you'd get to write a recommendation. Let's face it, if someone is writing a recommendation for you, you know the person well enough for he/she to write a glowing letter about you. This is assuming you're not just asking random people for LORs.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 58 [0]
Send PM
Recs from a current supervisor are always a conflict of interest as well.

1)If you are GOOD, they should give you a bad rec so you will not get into school, and stay on the job longer
2)If you are BAD, they should give you a good rec to get rid of you!

So, I honestly don't understand what the point is of recs. I had some (honestly) good ones. One of my recommenders sent me copies after he submitted them. They were FAR from love letters, and addressed some real weaknesses I have. However, they were overall positive, and I think that "needs improvement" parts gave them credibility.

This being said, I wonder if committees can spot a rec that the applicant writes, and just has their manager sign.....

Anyhow, I guess this is just a long-winded version of:
"I don't think recs should matter because it is hard to tell how authentic they are"

One more bit - I'm not bitter as so far I am 3/3 on my applications :-D
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Send PM
i would agree - there is an inherrent bias in any rec, otherwise you wouldn´t ask for it. however, it´s really different when it´s your mom. i mean, can we expect parents to have an objective view of your work? possible, sure. likely? i don´t know.
GMAT Club Bot