Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 07:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Letters of Recommendation

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Current Student
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 9

Letters of Recommendation [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2012, 22:08
I know the majority of top programs require 2 letters of recommendations. I am going to do one from my current boss (title is Senior Engineering Manager). We work closely together every day, and I am confident he will write a very strong recommendation.

The issue I have is picking my second one because there are several ways I can go:

1) I have a previous boss who I am close with that was my manager for 3 co-op quarters at the company I am at currently. He has since left, but I have maintained a good relationship with him. He would write a glowing review emphasizing many of the right components, but he was never my boss when I was a full-time employee, just 3 co-op quarters.

2) My current boss's boss thinks highly of me and the work I have done. He is the VP of Inventory Optimization at our company (Fortune 100). I have no experience working directly under him, but he was the boss of person number 1 above, as well. I work with him directly around 3-4 times per month, but he does not really know me on a personal level, just more of a professional one.

3) I have worked 5-10 hours per week for half a year with a non-profit on their marketing committee, and the director of the non-profit could also write my recommendation. She would be great because I plan on going into social entrepreneurship, but she known me the least of all 3 possibilities, and I have less confidence in knowing what she would say about me (I know it would be positive, but with the other two, I can get a sense of EXACTLY what they would say).

I could also do a combination of the three. However, I am struggling with this for two reasons. One, it seems like you are telling the recommender you don't trust them fully because you are "hedging" your recommendations in a way. Two, it seems as if there is a "best" person to pick, and the application would be stronger if they wrote all of the applications anyways.

What route do you think I should go in picking a second recommender or combination of people? Finally, is 6-7 recommendations too many for one person to write?

Thanks,
Steve
Expert Post
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 559 [0], given: 30

Re: Letters of Recommendation [#permalink] New post 06 Mar 2012, 23:25
Expert's post
I would suggest going with the third. The logic is that first of all one of the best things for a recommender is that they know you PERSONALLY as well, because it will affect how excited and passionate they are in their LOR. And secondly we DO want to pick supervisors, and also we do want to give a certain DIVERSITY in the LORS. If you get two LORS from the same workplace, there is likely to be a lot of repetition between the LORS, and thus you would not be maximizing their potential. So I like your choice number three.

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Current Student
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 9

Re: Letters of Recommendation [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2012, 10:25
Thanks for the reply! It is sort of a Catch 22, because my old co-op boss knows me personally way more than the other two, but the recommendation from an outside work source would be appealing as you described. At least I can narrow the choices down to two!
Re: Letters of Recommendation   [#permalink] 07 Mar 2012, 10:25