Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 10:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Leveraging a scholarship??

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 0

Re: Leveraging a scholarship?? [#permalink] New post 07 Apr 2010, 03:58
I know I've had zero luck in the leveraging department.

I was pretty much told that while school X and Y are peer schools, school Z offered me things that X and Y could not and that I was "being shortsighted" in thinking that a difference of 30k or so over a lifetime should be a driving factor (even though I explained that I already about about 50k in undergrad loans). I was taken aback by that direct (unprofessional?) of a response. I get that schools think that they are better than the rankings and that they offer something unique but in reality job placement stats and salaries don't lie. And this IS a professional degree that requires people to leave their full time jobs for 2 years.

School:
Boston College MBA '12

Current Student
Schools: Wharton Class of 2012 w/ fellowship
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 12

Re: Leveraging a scholarship?? [#permalink] New post 07 Apr 2010, 05:30
hey dv450, so you got more grant money in addition to your scholarship/fellowship? i'm just wondering if in addition to my fellowship i may qualify for other scholarship money...never thought i would be the one, but these looming loans are starting to scare me

My story of an average chick who stumbled into the 700+ club
700-clubbers-add-your-name-to-the-list-64636-100.html#p600519
My 2009-2010 Application Decisions
2010-profiles-w-admit-dings-results-no-discussion-78475.html?view-post=600694#p600694

Intern
Intern
Schools: Booth Class of 2012
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 5

Re: Leveraging a scholarship?? [#permalink] New post 07 Apr 2010, 06:55
dv450, I am curious to know if for Kellogg at the time of your acceptance you were offered any scholarship or if the offer came after you accepted their offer and submitted the finantial aid information.

Thanks!
Manager
Manager
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2012
WE 1: 1.5 years in Banking/Capital Markets
WE 2: ~1 year in financial services/risk mgmt
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Leveraging a scholarship?? [#permalink] New post 07 Apr 2010, 07:22
This is a very helpful thread! Just wanted to get some input, I received fellowships at Booth and Kellogg, but no money at Yale. I was going to email Yale to ask for $ given my fellowships. Should I provide the name of the schools and amounts at all?

jbourne - I received my fellowship info from Kellogg when they called. I also received information about it in my admissions package.
Current Student
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 89 [0], given: 3439

Re: Leveraging a scholarship?? [#permalink] New post 07 Apr 2010, 07:28
mbasc2010 wrote:
Should I provide the name of the schools and amounts at all?

Yes, absolutely. If you at all want to go to Yale, tell them exactly how much you got at two schools that are frequently "ranked" higher. Obviously reiterate why you want to go to Yale instead of Booth and Kellogg and how you are a perfect fit for the SOM program. But I would only do it if you would seriously turn down Booth/Kellogg (if money wasn't a factor) for Yale.
Current Student
Schools: Wharton Class of 2012 w/ fellowship
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 12

Re: Leveraging a scholarship?? [#permalink] New post 07 Apr 2010, 07:33
coakleym wrote:
mbasc2010 wrote:
Should I provide the name of the schools and amounts at all?

Yes, absolutely. If you at all want to go to Yale, tell them exactly how much you got at two schools that are frequently "ranked" higher. Obviously reiterate why you want to go to Yale instead of Booth and Kellogg and how you are a perfect fit for the SOM program. But I would only do it if you would seriously turn down Booth/Kellogg (if money wasn't a factor) for Yale.

I have to second this, if Yale is truly your first choice and you would go there with a scholarship similar to those at Booth and Kellogg, then ask, otherwise, you should not waste their time and/or tie up funds that could've been allocated to someone who is going to attend Yale.

My story of an average chick who stumbled into the 700+ club
700-clubbers-add-your-name-to-the-list-64636-100.html#p600519
My 2009-2010 Application Decisions
2010-profiles-w-admit-dings-results-no-discussion-78475.html?view-post=600694#p600694

Current Student
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 89 [0], given: 3439

Re: Leveraging a scholarship?? [#permalink] New post 07 Apr 2010, 09:44
Yep. I think the odds are very slim that they would significantly better the Booth/Kellogg offer, if that's the aim.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Kellogg, Ross, Tepper
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 19 [1] , given: 0

Re: Leveraging a scholarship?? [#permalink] New post 08 Apr 2010, 19:58
This post received
KUDOS
2012dreams wrote:
hey dv450, so you got more grant money in addition to your scholarship/fellowship? i'm just wondering if in addition to my fellowship i may qualify for other scholarship money...never thought i would be the one, but these looming loans are starting to scare me

Hey 2012dreams,

Yes I did. I received a decent size need based grant (although I believe Kellogg still called it a scholarship) as well as 2 separate "named" scholarships. I put "named" in quotes because neither are published in the scholarship material I found in my Kellogg research. Also, both are smaller than the ones that you would get during your admit call. Finally, one scholarship is only for students looking to get a healthcare management major and I believe the other does has some need stipulations (that is just a guess though).

The loans will haunt me in my sleep for many years to come... but what you going to do :D
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Kellogg, Ross, Tepper
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 19 [1] , given: 0

Re: Leveraging a scholarship?? [#permalink] New post 08 Apr 2010, 20:02
This post received
KUDOS
jbourne wrote:
dv450, I am curious to know if for Kellogg at the time of your acceptance you were offered any scholarship or if the offer came after you accepted their offer and submitted the finantial aid information.

Thanks!

Hey jbourne,

I did not receive any scholarship offers from Kellogg when I was accepted. I found out about the need based and one of the named scholarships when I received my financial aid offer. The program dedicated scholarship came via email shortly after that. However, I heard about all 3 awards prior to when I accepted Kellogg's admit offer.
Non-Human User
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Leveraging a scholarship?? [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2014, 13:53
Hello from the GMAT Club MBAbot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: Leveraging a scholarship??   [#permalink] 30 Jan 2014, 13:53