Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 01:55 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 01:55

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools:Ross 2012
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72876 [0]
Given Kudos: 18863
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Leveraging a scholarship?? [#permalink]
I know I've had zero luck in the leveraging department.

I was pretty much told that while school X and Y are peer schools, school Z offered me things that X and Y could not and that I was "being shortsighted" in thinking that a difference of 30k or so over a lifetime should be a driving factor (even though I explained that I already about about 50k in undergrad loans). I was taken aback by that direct (unprofessional?) of a response. I get that schools think that they are better than the rankings and that they offer something unique but in reality job placement stats and salaries don't lie. And this IS a professional degree that requires people to leave their full time jobs for 2 years.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Finance & Entreprenuerial Management
Schools:Wharton Class of 2012 w/ fellowship
GPA: 3.4 - Top 5 UG
Send PM
hey dv450, so you got more grant money in addition to your scholarship/fellowship? i'm just wondering if in addition to my fellowship i may qualify for other scholarship money...never thought i would be the one, but these looming loans are starting to scare me
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Schools:Booth Class of 2012
Send PM
dv450, I am curious to know if for Kellogg at the time of your acceptance you were offered any scholarship or if the offer came after you accepted their offer and submitted the finantial aid information.

Thanks!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Concentration: Finance
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2012
GPA: 3.7
WE 1: 1.5 years in Banking/Capital Markets
WE 2: ~1 year in financial services/risk mgmt
Send PM
This is a very helpful thread! Just wanted to get some input, I received fellowships at Booth and Kellogg, but no money at Yale. I was going to email Yale to ask for $ given my fellowships. Should I provide the name of the schools and amounts at all?

jbourne - I received my fellowship info from Kellogg when they called. I also received information about it in my admissions package.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Finance & Entreprenuerial Management
Schools:Wharton Class of 2012 w/ fellowship
GPA: 3.4 - Top 5 UG
Send PM
coakleym wrote:
mbasc2010 wrote:
Should I provide the name of the schools and amounts at all?

Yes, absolutely. If you at all want to go to Yale, tell them exactly how much you got at two schools that are frequently "ranked" higher. Obviously reiterate why you want to go to Yale instead of Booth and Kellogg and how you are a perfect fit for the SOM program. But I would only do it if you would seriously turn down Booth/Kellogg (if money wasn't a factor) for Yale.

I have to second this, if Yale is truly your first choice and you would go there with a scholarship similar to those at Booth and Kellogg, then ask, otherwise, you should not waste their time and/or tie up funds that could've been allocated to someone who is going to attend Yale.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 123 [0]
Given Kudos: 3439
Send PM
Yep. I think the odds are very slim that they would significantly better the Booth/Kellogg offer, if that's the aim.
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Expert Reply
Just a note about the comment from the person whose roommate got an increased salary to law school. I don't think that is a great comparable right now because of the state of law school. I'm sure we've all read the news of how law students are struggling to find jobs and law schools are feeling the impact of fewer students wanting to attend, so they are looking to drastically cut attendance cost through upping scholarships. The same is not true for business schools.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club MBAbot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2