Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Nov 2014, 21:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Leveraging Off of Waitlist Using Scholarship Offers

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Healthcare
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.81
WE: Medicine and Health (Health Care)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 12

Leveraging Off of Waitlist Using Scholarship Offers [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2013, 15:56
So I'm in the waitlist boat at three schools, two of which I'd absolutely love to attend (~top 10ish). I also have offers at two terrific (10ish-20ish) schools with ~80% scholarships. I asked this in a waitlist thread, but did not receive an answer, so I'd like to open it up to everyone:

Are my current offers something I should point out in my letter of interest/waitlist update? I would assume yes, and it would be great for them to know that I still think highly of them despite great offers from great programs. However, I know this process is littered with bizarre fortuitous faux pas that my head spins. This waitlist hullabaloo is silly, I miss ERAS match lists :lol: (yeah I know filling a 5-20 resident program is a little different than a 200-1000 person class :) )

Anyway, any help would be appreciated :)
Current Student
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2015
WE: Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 311 [0], given: 167

Premium Member
Re: Leveraging Off of Waitlist Using Scholarship Offers [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2013, 18:41
You could mention the scholarship as an "award" in an update if it's a merit-based scholarship. Make it formal by using the full name of the scholarship/fellowship and if you want, use a % value instead of the $ amount, then re-iterate your interest in the WL school.

If you do this, control your expectations - while it may help you off the WL, don't expect the school to make a quicker decision on you. You're just one person on the WL and the WL is a tool to round out the class. If you make it sound like "make a decision now before I have to commit to this other school with a deposit" they may simply react with "take the scholarship."

Any other opinions on this? I'm definitely not the authority.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fWvub_WBho

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Healthcare
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.81
WE: Medicine and Health (Health Care)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 12

Re: Leveraging Off of Waitlist Using Scholarship Offers [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2013, 20:31
CobraKai wrote:
You could mention the scholarship as an "award" in an update if it's a merit-based scholarship. Make it formal by using the full name of the scholarship/fellowship and if you want, use a % value instead of the $ amount, then re-iterate your interest in the WL school.

If you do this, control your expectations - while it may help you off the WL, don't expect the school to make a quicker decision on you. You're just one person on the WL and the WL is a tool to round out the class. If you make it sound like "make a decision now before I have to commit to this other school with a deposit" they may simply react with "take the scholarship."

Any other opinions on this? I'm definitely not the authority.

Yeah, I certainly wasn't going to approach it as a make a decision ASAP and treat me special!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :lol:

In all honesty, I submitted a deposit, because you have the option to interview for the top tier scholarships, and while I don't like throwing $1500 down the drain, ultimately I may rather be at another school based on where my fiancée ends up. (Obviously that can't work in any UNC v Duke leveraging :P )

Yes, the scholarships are merit-based. I don't have formal names, unfortunately because they don't assign them until after R2. Also, I thought that when reporting, you should not mention other schools by name, or is that not the case?

Anyway, any other opinions? I'm curious on the $$ vx. % reporting.

I hate this 'rounding out the class' nonsense. I've met a few other docs on the interview trail, and we joked that only one of us are going to be accepted per school or waitlisted in lieu of each other.

Thanks for the input, CobraKai, and big congrats on Johnson!
Re: Leveraging Off of Waitlist Using Scholarship Offers   [#permalink] 08 Jan 2013, 20:31