Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Apr 2014, 21:46

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Lewis and Clark were not the first white men to cross the

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Lewis and Clark were not the first white men to cross the [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2007, 21:59
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

88% (02:17) correct 11% (00:38) wrong based on 17 sessions
Lewis and Clark were not the first white men to cross the continent from the Atlantic to the Pacific north of Mexico, and they did not visit places not already seen and mapped by generations of native people.

A. and did not visit places not already seen and mapped by generations of native people.
B. and they did not visit places not already seen and mapped by generations of native people.
C. and they had not visit places not already seen and mapped by generations of native people.
D. nor had they visited places not already seen and mapped by generations of native people.
E. nor did they visit places not already seen and mapped by generations of native people.

please explain ur answers
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2007, 03:59
kalpvriksha14 wrote:
Lewis and Clark were not the first white men to cross the continent from the Atlantic to the Pacific north of Mexico, and they did not visit places not already seen and mapped by generations of native people.

A. and did not visit places not already seen and mapped by generations of native people.
B. and they did not visit places not already seen and mapped by generations of native people.
C. and they had not visit places not already seen and mapped by generations of native people.
D. nor had they visited places not already seen and mapped by generations of native people.
E. nor did they visit places not already seen and mapped by generations of native people.

Answer is E.

Explanation: Lewis and clark were not.........nor did they.
parallelism. Sentences starting with "And they" in A,B,C doesnt have the parallelism. D is out because simple past is enough.
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2007, 10:02
t think E ..lacks parallelism ..shouldn't it be ..."nor were they....".
rather than "nor did they.."
CEO
CEO
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 171 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2007, 10:14
kalpvriksha14 wrote:
t think E ..lacks parallelism ..shouldn't it be ..."nor were they....".
rather than "nor did they.."

the concept is "do verb replacement"
did replaces the action verb were.
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2007, 12:36
What is wrong with (A)? (A is not the same as the part underlined in the question)
VP
VP
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 63 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2007, 12:44
kalpvriksha14 wrote:

either A or E

for some reason A is different from the underlined original
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2007, 12:51
Is it not essential that if there is a nor in the sentence there has to be a preseeding neither in the sentence? I feel A is the answer.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2007, 17:03
kalpvriksha14 wrote:

Will go for 'E'. In the original there are double negatives which is not favoured in GMAT.

'E' is short and snappy ...and is something like this
John didn’t turn up, and nor did Alice.
Director
Director
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 83 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2007, 17:31
Going with E in this case... correct use of did, they, and nor

Amar
CEO
CEO
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 167 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2007, 15:08
kalpvriksha14 wrote:

Id say E.

ABC don't really complete the sentence the way it should be. the use of nor here is clearer than and.

When reading A,B, or C I had trouble trying to figure out what the sentence was really trying to say.

D: use of had is not needed.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2007, 19:44
kalpvriksha14 wrote:

I would go with B - or the original underlined portion of the sentence.

kalpvriksha14 - can we have the OA please?
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2007, 08:57
OA is E...and OE is
Being the second thing that Lewis and Clark did not do, the word nor is required. The first negative phrase is in the past simple, so the second one must be in past simple form as well.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 19

Re: Lewis and Clark were not the first white men to cross the [#permalink] New post 01 Jan 2014, 05:17
Sorry for bringing this thread up, but i am unable to understand the errors here.

Experts can you kindly elucidate. My concerns are:

1. What is wrong with Option B ?
2. Is it a GMAT kind of question ?

oblige me with Kudos.

4 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 40 [4] , given: 50

Re: Lewis and Clark were not the first white men to cross the [#permalink] New post 01 Jan 2014, 09:45
This post received
KUDOS
djanand wrote:
Sorry for bringing this thread up, but i am unable to understand the errors here.

Experts can you kindly elucidate. My concerns are:

1. What is wrong with Option B ?
2. Is it a GMAT kind of question ?

djanand, Everyone around will be more than happy to help you. Good that you brought up this question. And nothing un-gmat-ish about this question, I guess.

Coming back to the question,

Lewis and Clark were not the first white men to cross the continent from the Atlantic to the Pacific north of Mexico, and did not visit places not already seen and mapped by generations of native people.

comma + and separate either a list of entities or two independent clauses that are related in idea. The portion after and is not an independent clause. Further, double negatives are used.
double negative shouldn't be used.
double negative shouldn't be used. Also, usage of past perfect induces a sequencing of events, which isn't necessary here.
usage of past perfect states induces a sequencing of events, which isn't necessary here. Also, parallelism in the second clause is lost.
nor perfectly keeps the parallelism between the two clauses. No double negatives used.

Read my posts...
What are modifiers ??

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 804

CAT Tests
Re: Lewis and Clark were not the first white men to cross the [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2014, 19:33
Can anyone explain to me why D and E are not double negatives through the usage of "nor" and "not already"? I crossed both out immediately because of this issue.

If the following sentence is a double negative, how can D and E not be double negatives?
X) Neither did I have no money nor did I have no land.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 50

Re: Lewis and Clark were not the first white men to cross the [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2014, 20:24
TooLong150 wrote:
Can anyone explain to me why D and E are not double negatives through the usage of "nor" and "not already"? I crossed both out immediately because of this issue.

If the following sentence is a double negative, how can D and E not be double negatives?

Neither did I have money, nor did I have land == > I had no money, and I had no land.
Why do u need those extra no's?

The opposite effect sentence would be
Either I had money, or I had land.
or simply,
I had both money and land.

Read my posts...
What are modifiers ??

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 804

CAT Tests
Re: Lewis and Clark were not the first white men to cross the [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2014, 21:17
sivasanjeev wrote:
TooLong150 wrote:

Neither did I have money, nor did I have land == > I had no money, and I had no land.

or simply,

Those "no's" demonstrate what D and E do and makes D and E sound like double negatives.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 50

Re: Lewis and Clark were not the first white men to cross the [#permalink] New post 15 Jan 2014, 00:45
TooLong150 wrote:
sivasanjeev wrote:
TooLong150 wrote:

or simply,

Those "no's" demonstrate what D and E do and makes D and E sound like double negatives.

I think I got your question, now.
Consider the following sentence.

Neither did I have the money not spent, nor did I have the land not registered in my name.
did have is the verb here.

The sentence means that I didn't have the money that wasn't spent. (the money's with my friend)
and I didn't have the land that wasn't registered in my name. (the land that wasn't registered in my name was occupied by someone else.)

These aren't double negatives. They just change the meaning of the sentence.
Now compare with the correct answer E.

Read my posts...
What are modifiers ??

Re: Lewis and Clark were not the first white men to cross the   [#permalink] 15 Jan 2014, 00:45