Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Apr 2014, 20:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

MBA Life of Couples

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 6

MBA Life of Couples [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2011, 05:03
What will be the major challenges for young couple during the period of two-year full time MBA in top tier school?
What are the best suggestions to survive?
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 1985

Kudos [?]: 6426 [0], given: 3566

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: MBA Life of Couples [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2011, 14:49
Expert's post
Are you moving from another country or city?

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: MBA Life of Couples [#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2011, 09:25
I don't know about him but I may be. Any advice bb?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: LBS, Oxford
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: MBA Life of Couples [#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2011, 09:53
Let me complicate the question...I have a 3 months baby as well
Intern
Intern

Re: MBA Life of Couples [#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2011, 12:13
Yes bb, upon admission, I will move from middle east. I heard that an MBA from top tier school requires burdensome work and study.
3 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2011
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 237 [3] , given: 17

Re: MBA Life of Couples [#permalink] New post 20 Jun 2011, 05:47
This post received
KUDOS
Well it's certainly not a 9-5 job and your family should be comfortable with the idea that a substantial majority of your day will be devoted to school, but you will have a lot of flexibility in how you set your schedule so you can usually work around family commitments. Time management at bschool is all about looking at the time demands of academics-career-social-family, and deciding which one are you willing to scale back on to meet the demands of the others. Most successful couples here tend to scale back a bit on the social aspect of bschool in order to spend more time with their families.

If your spouse/significant other is not relocating with you that presents a whole set of additional challenges related to distance and, to be completely candid, a lot of those relationships did not survive bschool. The ones that did tended to be more committed relationships at the outset (e.g. marriage vs. dating), and both people were very diligent in scheduling times to talk to and visit each other into their schedules.
1 KUDOS received
Ms. Big Fat Panda
Ms. Big Fat Panda
Followers: 322

Kudos [?]: 1284 [1] , given: 194

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: MBA Life of Couples [#permalink] New post 20 Jun 2011, 10:33
This post received
KUDOS
I can't really answer this question from personal experience, but I have known couples who have been separated for pursuing business school and as Jerz rightly said, it took them a lot of effort to make it through. It helps if you're very open about the kind of change you're expecting to have rather than disguise it in any manner. Having been in a long distance relationship for two years, I can personally vouch for the fact that it sucks. But if you make time for it (which is even harder if you go to a top school in the US), then it could work.
Intern
Intern

Re: MBA Life of Couples [#permalink] New post 20 Jun 2011, 11:14
Thanks whiplash,
Well, I have to mention that I am married, so supposedly I will move together with my wife upon admission to US.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Other, International Business
GMAT 1: 680 Q42 V41

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

Re: MBA Life of Couples [#permalink] New post 03 Aug 2011, 07:37
I'll likely be in a similar situation. I'm looking at an MBA starting in March 2013 (my goal is to get into Ivey)... my boyfriend is currently starting his training to become a military pilot while I'm in the process of releasing from the military... we're looking at a few years of him bouncing around the country while I get my process figured out and start the MBA applications/savings... should be a challenge for at least the next five years.

Oh, and since he's older he wants to start a family once all our training/life preparing is done... yikes!!!
Intern
Intern

Re: MBA Life of Couples [#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2011, 13:33
Make time for each other.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 3

Re: MBA Life of Couples [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2011, 01:17
Is in't so personal.!
Manager
Manager
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V48
GPA: 3.33
WE: Marketing (Manufacturing)

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 10

Re: MBA Life of Couples [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2011, 09:17
Hello all, this seems like as good a topic as any to break the GMATClub seal. I too am in the process of applying to B-School and getting married next month. My fiancee is justifiably concerned about how much or how little time I'll have available to her, both during and after my tenure at business school.

What I'd like to know is this: at approximately how many of the social / networking type events are spouses of students welcome? It will be a poor substitute for a real date but at least it will be time spent together.
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Followers: 25

Kudos [?]: 305 [1] , given: 19

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: MBA Life of Couples [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2011, 05:06
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
jhays wrote:
What I'd like to know is this: at approximately how many of the social / networking type events are spouses of students welcome? It will be a poor substitute for a real date but at least it will be time spent together.

I don't believe spouse are allowed at the corporate networking events. For the social events, Spouse are always welcome (at least at Duke). You may always want to look into schools with a strong partners club. I know quite a few people who chose Duke because of the partners club, which not only organize social events, but also help partners with finding work and relocating to Durham.

Diversity

1 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 74

Kudos [?]: 689 [1] , given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: MBA Life of Couples [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2011, 16:57
This post received
KUDOS
If your significant other goes with you that is one thing...if they dont that is a complete different thing. If you leave your significant other in another city/country, your chances of surviving 2 years of business school are slim unless you are married or give up lots of what school has to offer.

As a married man, I can tell you my wife loved our time in Evanston. She met some of her bestfriends there, both classmates of mine and spouses of classmates. You will be busy but how you use your time is completely up to you. A lot of my friends who are married/engaged had no issues because they had their priorities aligned with their significant other's.

If you have kids, that does add some complications but it is more common than you would imagine at some schools.

If you are bringing a significant other, especially if you have children, I would suggest looking at schools with reputations of a tight community for your family and not just you. If you are committed to each other it wont be a problem, especially if you live together. Dating couples broke up pretty easily, especially if there was any distance. I know lots of people from Chicago whose relationships didnt last because their boyfriend/girlfriend lived downtown and they lived in Evanston and the student got wrapped up with school and forgot their partner.

Kellogg Class of 2010...still active and willing to help. However, I do not do profile reviews, don't offer predictions on chances and am far to busy to review essays, so save the energy of writing me a PM seeking help for these. If I don't respond to a PM that is not one of the previously mentioned trash can destined messages, please don't take it personally I get so many messages I have a hard to responding to most. The more interesting, compelling, or humorous you message the more likely I am to respond.

Re: MBA Life of Couples   [#permalink] 27 Sep 2011, 16:57