Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Sep 2014, 12:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Life after B-School...Married vs. Single...who gets farther?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Director
Director
Schools: Tuck, Yale (ding), NYU, Columbia, Duke (int)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Life after B-School...Married vs. Single...who gets farther? [#permalink] New post 09 Nov 2007, 16:57
A few weeks ago my boss and I had lunch, and he decided to probe my personal life. He wanted to know my long term goals, 5 year plan, if I wanted to get married, have kids etc. He seemed to place a lot of importance on getting married, because it signified that you were responsible, stable person (of course there are exceptions, but we're talking about b-school crowd). How do bosses see single vs. married people once you get into the upper levels of companies? Do they really care? Stupid topic I know...but it's friday, and I seem to be the only person left in the office, and I'm kinda bored.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 256

Kudos [?]: 1547 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
 [#permalink] New post 09 Nov 2007, 16:59
I dont think they care....

Granted, if you are in consulting and are married, there may probe a bit deeper into your interest level during an interview, but its not a big deal either way.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 78

Kudos [?]: 694 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 09 Nov 2007, 17:26
I think it depends on the company and industry. Being single would be an advantage in some where hours and/or travel are extensive, such as banking and consulting.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 86 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2007, 06:23
riverripper wrote:
I think it depends on the company and industry. Being single would be an advantage in some where hours and/or travel are extensive, such as banking and consulting.

Conversely, companies might prefer a married people b/c they have more to lose. I guess it's similar to the gov't trusting a 20 millions dollar jet to a married person than a single person.

Ultimately, I don't think it plays much of a role.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Baruch / Zicklin
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 148

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2007, 09:25
In very high-profile roles, it definitely makes a diff. if you are married or not. This is also dependent on your coworkers and their status as well.

A company will always play the "dedication" card when it comes to work. IE, if you are married and have young kids, they can say you know what, John is too busy, he can't put in the time required for project whatever.

This is obviously not right but when have companies actually listened to and practiced corporate responsibility? Stating that they are 'equal opportunity' is simply a formality in their eyes. When it comes down to it, they want someone that can put in 300 hours per week (if need be) to finish a project. When it comes to someone that has a family and has obligations to that family (pick up the kids from school, take care of them, etc etc etc), they will most likely lean towards someone that does not have these "restrictions" - someone single - someone who can come to the office for 300 hours this week to finish project whatever.

FWIW,
- tsd
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2007, 10:16
TimeSquareDesi wrote:
In very high-profile roles, it definitely makes a diff. if you are married or not. This is also dependent on your coworkers and their status as well.

A company will always play the "dedication" card when it comes to work. IE, if you are married and have young kids, they can say you know what, John is too busy, he can't put in the time required for project whatever.

This is obviously not right but when have companies actually listened to and practiced corporate responsibility? Stating that they are 'equal opportunity' is simply a formality in their eyes. When it comes down to it, they want someone that can put in 300 hours per week (if need be) to finish a project. When it comes to someone that has a family and has obligations to that family (pick up the kids from school, take care of them, etc etc etc), they will most likely lean towards someone that does not have these "restrictions" - someone single - someone who can come to the office for 300 hours this week to finish project whatever.

FWIW,
- tsd

if someone could work 300 hours per week i would be very impressed :wink:
Director
Director
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST) - Class of 2010
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 132 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2007, 04:57
Completley disagree. It all depends on the manager and the company culture. I travel extensively in my role, however i have and do say no when it doesn't fit into my family schedule.

A good company should treat its workers well and understand that a motivated, suitabally challenged and happy workforce, is a productive workforce. This means a work/life balance is essential.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2007, 05:56
Some companies prefer married people because they won't just resign easily because of family commitments.
Director
Director
Schools: Chicago Booth 2010
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2007, 06:11
drMBA1 wrote:
Some companies prefer married people because they won't just resign easily because of family commitments.

Yes, watch The Firm.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

Re: Life after B-School...Married vs. Single...who gets farther? [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2008, 21:43
I know many consultants who are married, but the number of those who have kids is significantly lower. As long as you display a high level of commitment during the interview and show that you know exactly what you're getting into, I highly doubt that being single or married makes a difference in the recruiting process.

What's much more important is that your partner (girlfriend, wife, husband etc.) has a clear understanding of what the job demands and that she is OK with this sacrifice. It's very important that you show a strong commitement to your relationship if you want to make it work. Don't sell your partner rainbows and unicorns and have them wake up to an unexpected nightmare - I imagine that losing your wife is by far the bigger loss than accepting a less demanding job.
Re: Life after B-School...Married vs. Single...who gets farther?   [#permalink] 09 Jan 2008, 21:43