Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 12:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Life Balance

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 0

Life Balance [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2007, 18:32
I think the people who are gunning for i-banking or MC or PE usually are the most outspoken here and at BW.

I'm curious though, is there anyone out there who really values free-time who is planning on moving into something with very reaonsable hours? In other words, are we all pretty much of the mindset, "I'm going to work really hard after school, even if it means 70 hour weeks, because I need to pay off school and start making serious money," or is there anyone out there thinking they want a nice life balance (like 40-50 hour weeks) and if so, what type of work would this be?
VP
VP
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 185 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2007, 18:38
50-60hs, tops. Beyond that, I don't perform.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 256

Kudos [?]: 1580 [0], given: 7

Premium Member
 [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2007, 18:53
50 to 60 hours. Max. My goal is not the most amount of money, but the most amount of happiness. I've learned that they dont always go hand in hand.

This means

no IB
no MC

It means:
Brand Mgmt
Corporate Finance
General Mgmt
etc..
VP
VP

[#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2007, 18:54
lepium wrote:
50-60hs, tops. Beyond that, I don't perform.

Plus, I'm getting old, ya know... :lol:
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2007, 18:57
rhyme wrote:
50 to 60 hours. Max. My goal is not the most amount of money, but the most amount of happiness. I've learned that they dont always go hand in hand.

This means

no IB
no MC

It means:
Brand Mgmt
Corporate Finance
General Mgmt
etc..

I thought you were thinking about MC.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2007, 19:07
I definitely want a normal work-life balance at some point, but I don't think it is necessary post-MBA while I am still in my late 20's/early 30's. I have no problem working 80-90 hour weeks for a few years while I pay my dues and move up the corporate ladder, but I have no desire to do that for the rest of my life.
VP
VP
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

Re: Life Balance [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2007, 19:21
johnnyx9 wrote:
I think the people who are gunning for i-banking or MC or PE usually are the most outspoken here and at BW.

I'm curious though, is there anyone out there who really values free-time who is planning on moving into something with very reaonsable hours? In other words, are we all pretty much of the mindset, "I'm going to work really hard after school, even if it means 70 hour weeks, because I need to pay off school and start making serious money," or is there anyone out there thinking they want a nice life balance (like 40-50 hour weeks) and if so, what type of work would this be?

Fk MC and IB..I want a work life balance and Money is the least motivator!!!
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2007, 19:34
Right after college I worked 80-90 hours weeks at a law firm, sometimes more. For the most part I didn't mind it, but there were definitely days that I wished that I could leave before 10. After that I started working at a start up company where I work 40-45 hours per week and, honestly, I miss the intensity. I'm definitely busy, but I miss the rush. I miss everyone coming together on a project (or a brief, at a law firm) to do the best possibe job. Don't get me wrong - I don't miss the all-nighters, but I miss feeling like I was part of something larger. My goal after bschool is to find a middle-ground between the hours and culture at my job now and my previous job.

I think I can. I think I can. I think I can.

VP
VP

[#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2007, 19:37
wshaffer wrote:
Right after college I worked 80-90 hours weeks at a law firm, sometimes more. For the most part I didn't mind it, but there were definitely days that I wished that I could leave before 10. After that I started working at a start up company where I work 40-45 hours per week and, honestly, I miss the intensity. I'm definitely busy, but I miss the rush. I miss everyone coming together on a project (or a brief, at a law firm) to do the best possibe job. Don't get me wrong - I don't miss the all-nighters, but I miss feeling like I was part of something larger. My goal after bschool is to find a middle-ground between the hours and culture at my job now and my previous job.

wshaffer, I feel you, I used to think the same way. But then I got the chance to experience working with great people who achieved a lot within normal hours (maybe not 40 and not a minute more but probably 45 - 50hs/week) and I changed my mind. I think you can be a "rush junkie" and still enjoy working normal hours.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2007, 19:42
lepium - that is ideal. I will definitely be on the lookout for that type of culture!

I think I can. I think I can. I think I can.

VP
VP

[#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2007, 19:47
wshaffer wrote:
lepium - that is ideal. I will definitely be on the lookout for that type of culture!

Well, I've had 4 bosses in my career so far and only one of them was like this! And I think I was lucky! But I try to be the same kind of boss nowadays.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2007, 19:57
rhyme wrote:

This means

no IB
no MC

It means:
Brand Mgmt
Corporate Finance
General Mgmt
etc..

corporate finance in a Fortune 500 is the way to go.......
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2007, 20:17
I've asked this before in another thread, but when people talk about corporate finance, exactly what sort of work are we talking about? I mean in a very specific sense, what sort of titles or heirarchies are there in corporate finance or general management? I imagine if varies a lot by industry.

For instance if you worked in corporate finance for Coca Cola, what would the heirarchy look like? CFO, then directors, then managers, etc?

Do people in corporate finance work reasonable hours?

I realize these are vague and maybe naive sounding questions, but I just haven't been able to do find much material on what corporate finance is all about.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2007, 20:25
I need the work/life balance, but I don't want to get into an industry without any strong exit opportunities. General management (at Nabisco or Hershey's) would be a good job out of b school, but if you get bored of the job, you won't have many exit opportunities.

I need the work/life balance. I'm an equities trader now and if I can get a similar job after school, that would be perfect. I'm on the west coast. How's this sound. Get in work at 6:30AM, get fed breakfast and lunch (company pays and delivers, but you have to eat at your desk) and leave work at 1:30 (2:00 tops). My pay is crap right now, but looking to change that soon.

I think IB and MC are the safe bets. If you don't like them after 1 year, you are in a good position to move into almost any industry. Corporate world is more risky. If you want to jump ship, your experience doesn't sound sexy enough for the PE, hedge funds, VC, or <insert>
SVP
SVP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 87 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 09 Mar 2007, 06:43
gmatclb wrote:
I need the work/life balance. I'm an equities trader now and if I can get a similar job after school, that would be perfect. I'm on the west coast. How's this sound. Get in work at 6:30AM, get fed breakfast and lunch (company pays and delivers, but you have to eat at your desk) and leave work at 1:30 (2:00 tops). My pay is crap right now, but looking to change that soon.

I wondered how that worked in west coast. Some traders get in to work in NYC at 6:30am. How do you do the same in west coast?

Last edited by kidderek on 09 Mar 2007, 06:45, edited 1 time in total.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Premium Member
 [#permalink] New post 09 Mar 2007, 06:44
dukes wrote:
rhyme wrote:

This means

no IB
no MC

It means:
Brand Mgmt
Corporate Finance
General Mgmt
etc..

If its MC with Bain or McKinsey or BAH or some other ultra-elite, then I'd probably do it. The exit opportunities are just too big. Would I go work for some boutique consulting firm and travel like a moron with no brand recognition? No.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

[#permalink] New post 09 Mar 2007, 06:54
rhyme wrote:
dukes wrote:
rhyme wrote:

This means

no IB
no MC

It means:
Brand Mgmt
Corporate Finance
General Mgmt
etc..

If its MC with Bain or McKinsey or BAH or some other ultra-elite, then I'd probably do it. The exit opportunities are just too big. Would I go work for some boutique consulting firm and travel like a moron with no brand recognition? No.

rhyme, where do you expect the exit opportunities to lead you to? just evaluating my own goals and I feel like we might be thinking along the same lines...
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Premium Member
 [#permalink] New post 09 Mar 2007, 07:15
johnnyx9 wrote:
I've asked this before in another thread, but when people talk about corporate finance, exactly what sort of work are we talking about? I mean in a very specific sense, what sort of titles or heirarchies are there in corporate finance or general management? I imagine if varies a lot by industry.

For instance if you worked in corporate finance for Coca Cola, what would the heirarchy look like? CFO, then directors, then managers, etc?

I realize these are vague and maybe naive sounding questions, but I just haven't been able to do find much material on what corporate finance is all about.

I'd also love to see an answer to this.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 09 Mar 2007, 07:31
I've heard of corporate finance referred to as investment banking.

As in the corporate finance division of IB.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

[#permalink] New post 09 Mar 2007, 07:35
johnnyx9 wrote:

Generally I think that is what everyone is referring to. Some IB divisions are called "corporate finance", but 90+% of people refer to corporate finance as working as a C-level, director, or board member of a medium to large corporation.

From my experience, corporate finance has very reasonable hours, but the downside is that many times you are limited in moving up the ladder. There will be occassions when you can't go up any further until someone dies or leaves the company.
  [#permalink] 09 Mar 2007, 07:35