Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Sep 2014, 08:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

"Life expectancy" is the average age at death of the entire

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 11-18-2012
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 23

"Life expectancy" is the average age at death of the entire [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2012, 06:02
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

72% (01:54) correct 28% (00:31) wrong based on 100 sessions
"Life expectancy" is the average age at death of the entire live-born population. In the middle of the nineteenth century, life expectancy in North America was 40 years, whereas now it is nearly 80 years. Thus, in those days, people must have been considered old at age that we now consider the prime of life.

Which of the following, if true, undermines the argument above?

a. In the middle of the nineteenth century, the population of North America was significantly smaller than is today.

b. Most of the gains in life expectancy in the last 150 years have come from reductions in the number of infants who die in their first year of life.

c. Many of the people who live to an advanced age today do so only because of medical technology that was unknown in the nineteenth century.

d. the proportion of people who die in their seventies is significantly smaller today than is the proportion of people who die in their eighties.

e. More people in the middle of the nineteenth century engaged regularly in vigorous physical activity than do so today.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Thriving for CHANGE

Expert Post
MBA Section Director
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 659

Kudos [?]: 2820 [0], given: 882

Re: Life expectancy" is the average age at death of the entire [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2012, 08:49
Expert's post
Only B weakens the conclusion that 40 year olds in the nineteenth century were considered old.
It says that the average went up because deaths of 1 year olds decreased dramatically.
So the people who are considered old remains to be of the same age.
Does this help?
Which option do you think is better?

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 11-18-2012
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 23

Re: Life expectancy" is the average age at death of the entire [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2012, 20:17
souvik101990 wrote:
Only B weakens the conclusion that 40 year olds in the nineteenth century were considered old.
It says that the average went up because deaths of 1 year olds decreased dramatically.
So the people who are considered old remains to be of the same age.
Does this help?
Which option do you think is better?

I didn't got argument
and i have chosen answer as 'A'

Thriving for CHANGE

Re: Life expectancy" is the average age at death of the entire   [#permalink] 09 Dec 2012, 20:17