Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 06:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Light is registered in the retina when photons hit molecules

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [1] , given: 0

Light is registered in the retina when photons hit molecules [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2010, 13:04
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (low)

Question Stats:

79% (02:12) correct 21% (02:21) wrong based on 66 sessions
Light is registered in the retina when photons hit molecules of the pigment rhodopsin and change the molecules’ shape. Even when they have not been struck by photons of light, rhodopsin molecules sometimes change shape because of normal molecular motion, thereby introducing error into the visual system. The amount of this molecular motion is directly proportional to the temperature of the retina.

Which one of the following conclusions is most strongly supported by the information above?

(A) The temperature of an animal’s retina depends on the amount of light the retina is absorbing.
(B) The visual systems of animals whose body temperature matches that of their surroundings are more error-prone in hot surroundings than in cold ones.
(C) As the temperature of the retina rises, rhodopsin molecules react more slowly to being struck by photons.
(D) Rhodopsin molecules are more sensitive to photons in animals whose retinas have large surface areas than in animals whose retinas have small surface areas.
(E) Molecules of rhodopsin are the only pigment molecules that occur naturally in the retina.

Source :Lsat
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: Someone explain this CR question [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2010, 15:38
This post received
KUDOS
The gist of the argument is
Increase in temperature -->Increase in molecular activity -->Increase in error .
A : The argument does not talk about absorption : So incorrect
B: Only option that makes sense : Hence correct .
C: No mention of rhodopsin reacting slowly or quickly to photon hits : Incorrect
D: No mention of surface areas : Incorrect
E: No mention of rhodopsin being the only pigment molecule (rhodopsin is a pigment does not mean that its molecules are the only pigmented molecules): Incorrect
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 11

GMAT Tests User
Re: Someone explain this CR question [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2010, 02:59
seems like only option B is possibly true.

Though,I would not have chosen B if the question asks for must be true/inference
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Someone explain this CR question [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2010, 05:07
B is the only close option available.
Current Student
Affiliations: Volunteer Operation Smile India, Creative Head of College IEEE branch (2009-10), Chief Editor College Magazine (2009), Finance Head College Magazine (2008)
WE2: Entrepreneur (E-commerce - The Laptop Skin Vault)
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
WE: Marketing (Other)
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 79 [0], given: 24

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Someone explain this CR question [#permalink] New post 06 Sep 2010, 10:27
easy one

Kidchaos

http://www.laptopskinvault.com

Follow The Laptop Skin Vault on:
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/TheLaptopSkinVault
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/LaptopSkinVault

Consider Kudos if you think the Post is good
Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot. Nothing is going to change. It's not. - Dr. Seuss

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status: Upset about the verbal score - SC, CR and RC are going to be my friend
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: Someone explain this CR question [#permalink] New post 06 Sep 2010, 15:26
How introducing animals will be out of scope as the stimulus doesn't talk about it is only in humans or any other subset.

My gmat story
MGMAT1 - 630 Q44V32
MGMAT2 - 650 Q41V38
MGMAT3 - 680 Q44V37
GMATPrep1 - 660 Q49V31
Knewton1 - 550 Q40V27

Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 3

Re: Someone explain this CR question [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2010, 02:43
Chose 'B'

Regards
Ganesh
Class of 2012
Great Lakes Institute of Management
http://greatlakes.edu.in

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
WE 1: Engineering

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Someone explain this CR question [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2010, 07:38
Dreamy wrote:
How introducing animals will be out of scope as the stimulus doesn't talk about it is only in humans or any other subset.

These kind of questions are best solved from POE (Power of Elimination). If you go through all the choices, four of them have nothing to do with the information provided in the statement.

Incorrect . Author does not say that light absorption raises the temp of the eye. (A) The temperature of an animal’s retina depends on the amount of light the retina is absorbing.

(B) The visual systems of animals whose body temperature matches that of their
surroundings are more error-prone in hot surroundings than in cold ones.

Incorrect. Not given in the premises. (C) As the temperature of the retina rises, rhodopsin molecules react more slowly to being struck by photons.

Incorrect. Nothing related to the surface area has been mentioned in the premises. (D) Rhodopsin molecules are more sensitive to
photons in animals whose retinas have large surface areas than in animals whose retinas have small surface areas.

Incorrect. Nothing mentioned about this (E) Molecules of rhodopsin are the only pigment
molecules that occur naturally in the retina.

We can always argue that how the hell are these animals been introduced. It is stretching it too far etc. Please note -

1. By POE, we are left with only one choice.

2. Secondly, the question is asking us to draw a conclusion based on the info in the statement. Based on the statement, it is correct to say that animals whose body temp match the surroundings will have more error in vision, in hot surroundings than in cold. True. Molecular motion is DIRECTLY PROPORTIONAL to the temp. Therefore, hotter temp will introduce more motion, therefore, more error.

All things are possible to those who believe.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 1

Re: Someone explain this CR question [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2010, 09:06
increased temp = increased reactions by rhodopsin molecules = increased error

Hence hotter env = hotter body temp = increased temp = increased error
Indian Schools Moderator
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V40
Followers: 18

Kudos [?]: 79 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: Someone explain this CR question [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2010, 11:12
It's a strengthening question so we can introduce new info.

----------------------------------------------
My GMAT Experience : http://gmatclub.com/forum/name-of-the-game-do-not-giveup-112609.html

If you like my post, Kudos me.

Don't forget to visit me - http://mbaido.wordpress.com/

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Someone explain this CR question [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2010, 12:39
talk2vj wrote:
It's a strengthening question so we can introduce new info.

In strengthening question, the correct answer choice will support/strengthen THE stimulus / statement. However, in this question the correct choice is supported BY the stimulus / statement. These types fall in a different category - Ascertain Conclusion (reference: Comprehensive CR - whiplash style).

It is not exactly "new" information because the conclusion of the statement is the basis of the information. (choice is supported by the conclusion of the statement).

Indian Schools Moderator

GMAT Tests User
Re: Someone explain this CR question [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2010, 13:52
Not heard of such question type. Atleast not seen in Powerscore. There are three types of conclusion based questions - Inference, Main Point,and Strengthen. Inference and Main point are out because the passage never mentioned "animals". Not looking at the choice, for what we know the passage is talking about human. It is not exactly the strengthen question beacause most of the strengthen questions have conlcusion. What we see is the fact statements.

My GMAT Experience : http://gmatclub.com/forum/name-of-the-game-do-not-giveup-112609.html

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Someone explain this CR question [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2010, 14:12
talk2vj wrote:
It is not exactly the strengthen question beacause most of the strengthen questions have conlcusion. What we see is the fact statements.

I thought you said it was strengthening question, and that is why I disagreed that it is not strengthening type question because in those kinds, the choice gives additional strength to the statement.

I thought humans are animals too :lol: . Jokes apart, the passage does not mention anything about human/animals and it would be a stretch to assume that the passage is talking about humans. For example, when I read the passage, I was thinking that it is referring to animals. Therefore, it is really dependent on the reader.

Indian Schools Moderator

GMAT Tests User
Re: Someone explain this CR question [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2010, 19:44
What I meant was this question is close to the strengthening type question. But it is not a typical strengthening question. Now, you raised another good point. I believe, every CR book has mentioned this point - we should not bring outside information. This passage may be picked from a science journal talking about animal. But we can never bring outside knowledge.

Manager
Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 11

GMAT Tests User
Re: Someone explain this CR question [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2010, 22:40
golfpro20050 wrote:

Light is registered in the retina when photons hit molecules of the pigment rhodopsin and change the molecules’ shape. Even when they have not been struck by photons of light, rhodopsin molecules sometimes change shape because of normal molecular motion, thereby introducing error into the visual system. The amount of this molecular motion is directly proportional to the temperature of the retina.
Which one of the following conclusions is most strongly supported by the information above?
(A) The temperature of an animal’s retina depends on the amount of light the retina is absorbing.not related to the molecular motion
(B) The visual systems of animals whose body temperature matches that of their surroundings are more error-prone in hot surroundings than in cold ones.
(C) As the temperature of the retina rises, rhodopsin molecules react more slowly to being struck by photons.not related to the molecular motion
(D) Rhodopsin molecules are more sensitive to photons in animals whose retinas have large surface areas than in animals whose retinas have small surface areas.out of scope. the surface area doesn't play any role
(E) Molecules of rhodopsin are the only pigment molecules that occur naturally in the retina.not related to the molecular motion

Here the conclusion is the molecular motion of rhodopsin is directly proportional to the temperature of the retina.
In B the visual system of the animals is more error prone in hot temp than in cold temp. which means as the temp increases the molecular motion of rhodopsin also increases which in turn causing the visual error.

This one supports to the information provided above. So B is correct
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 1

Re: Someone explain this CR question [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2011, 08:06
i,ll go with B). Reason: Temp. of retina is directly proportional to the Molecular motion.

Thanks,
-V
Re: Someone explain this CR question   [#permalink] 09 Feb 2011, 08:06