Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 26 Jul 2014, 05:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Lighting Tips for Remote Video Interview

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
3 KUDOS received
Tuck Thread Master
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q V
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 35 [3] , given: 67

Premium Member
Lighting Tips for Remote Video Interview [#permalink] New post 06 Mar 2013, 05:20
This post received
KUDOS
Like some of you, I've been waiting for Rd 2 decisions that should be published in the next 3 weeks. It already feels like the longest 5 weeks of my life (had my last interviews two weeks ago). To kill time, I thought I'd post what I think is one of the most often overlooked aspects of remote video interviews - Lighting.

Light is one of the most important elements in photography and videography. A good lighting setup can make a big difference in how the subject appears in photos or videos. For example, your forehead may be too shiny if the light is too close to your head; or cameras will compensate for bright lights in the majority of the frame (background) by dimming the overall brightness, causing a darker-than-normal exposure on the most important element of the frame - Your face. Unfortunately the technology in cameras haven't quite caught up with our eyes yet, and thus, in some situations, need to be supported with good lighting setup to make you look more human.

Some of us can't visit campuses for face-to-face interviews, and may be offered interviews via Skype. You need to put your best foot forward, including ensuring that:
- The interviewer can properly see your facial expressions by providing sufficient lighting; and
- There is no distraction in the background.

Unfortunately, webcams aren't known to project a flattering version of the subject. Nevertheless, assuming webcam technology doesn't dramatically improve in the near future, one of the things you can do to present yourself in the best light (pardon the pun) is to have sufficient lighting.

Here is a good lighting setup recommendation that I applied recently in my interviews. I just used regular study lamps with new Daylight bulbs and tracing paper to diffuse the harsh lights. I personally didn't use the back light since I only had 2 lamps. I recommend testing the setup prior to the actual interviews - To do this on Skype (Windows version), go to Tools > Options > Video Settings.

For more info, and a really good video walking you through the setup (you can see the before and after effect when the host alters the positions of the lights), check out:
http://wistia.com/blog/your-first-lighting-kit/
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Reviews Badge
Re: Lighting Tips for Remote Video Interview [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2013, 00:49
You are highlighting a very interesting and important point, thanks for sharing!
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Re: Lighting Tips for Remote Video Interview [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2013, 11:10
Sir,

Some colleges give option to create video like NUS and ISB. Do you think it is good idea or can it harm? I have heard it is better to write essay and go for interview directly. Is it right?

Suresh
Re: Lighting Tips for Remote Video Interview   [#permalink] 31 Mar 2013, 11:10