Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 23:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Like ants, termites have an elaborate social structure in

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [1] , given: 0

Like ants, termites have an elaborate social structure in [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2006, 13:28
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

90% (01:35) correct 10% (00:33) wrong based on 719 sessions
Like ants, termites have an elaborate social structure in which a few individuals reproduce and the rest are serving the colony by tending juveniles, gathering food, building the nest, or they battle intruders.

A. are serving the colony by tending juveniles, gathering food, building the nest, or they battle
B. are serving the colony in that they tend juveniles, gather food, build the nest, or battle
C. serve the colony, tending juveniles, gathering food, building the nest, or by battling
D. serve the colony by tending juveniles, gathering food, by building the nest, or by battling
E. serve the colony by tending juveniles, gathering food, building the nest, or battling

***** Thanks from all to underline the tested part of the sentence... I did it for u, Fig :) *****
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [1] , given: 0

[#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2006, 02:36
This post received
KUDOS
"serve the colony" maintains correct tense. therefore its either c, d or e.

e maintains parallel structure properly.

hence E it is.

Try and try until you succeed! There is just no giving up!

2 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Affiliations: FRM Charter holder
Schools: Stanford, Chicago Booth, Babson College
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 22 [2] , given: 4

Re: SC-Ants [#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2006, 04:42
This post received
KUDOS
Like ants, termites have an elaborate social structure in which a few individuals reproduce and the rest are serving the colony by tending juveniles, gathering food, building the nest, or they battle intruders.

A. are serving the colony by tending juveniles, gathering food, building the nest, or they battle
B. are serving the colony in that they tend juveniles, gather food, build the nest, or battle
C. serve the colony, tending juveniles, gathering food, building the nest, or by battling
D. serve the colony by tending juveniles, gathering food, by building the nest, or by battling
E. serve the colony by tending juveniles, gathering food, building the nest, or battling
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2006, 00:49
Two parallel constructions, only E gets both of them right.
Expert Post
3 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1298

Kudos [?]: 3662 [3] , given: 185

Re: Like ants, termites have an elaborate social structure in [#permalink] New post 14 Dec 2011, 18:11
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 15

Like ants, termites have an elaborate social structure in [#permalink] New post 12 May 2013, 06:41

I understand the answer options and the logic behind correct answer.
Below is my question:

In option B, is use of that correct? are serving the colony in that they tend juveniles, gather food, build the nest, or battle
or use of which correct i.e. are serving the colony in which they tend juveniles, gather food, build the nest, or battle

Experts, please reply

Kudos always encourages me

Last edited by Zarrolou on 12 May 2013, 06:44, edited 1 time in total.
Merging similar topics
Manager
Manager
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 2

Re: Like ants, termites have an elaborate social structure in [#permalink] New post 12 May 2013, 09:01
Swati, in that is a conjunction that means inasmuch as; in that has largely gone out of use, and is considered stilted and overly formal.

So, it is safe to assume that any usage of in that would be largely incorrect on GMAT.

p.s. I somehow recollect there used to be an old GMATPrep question where the option that used in that was the right choice. But GMAT keeps evolving and hopefully it will not be in future.

Thanks,
Ashish
GMAT - 99th Pecentile, MBA-ISB, Faculty @ http://www.EducationAisle.com

Our book Sentence Correction Nirvana available at

Amazon: Sentence Correction Nirvana
Flipkart: Sentence Correction Nirvana

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 15

Re: Like ants, termites have an elaborate social structure in [#permalink] New post 13 May 2013, 05:24
I am still not clear..Is the use of which correct in the above statement? and which one is better?that or which?

Kudos always encourages me

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: Like ants, termites have an elaborate social structure in [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2013, 06:54
swati007 wrote:

Below is my question:

In option B, is use of that correct? are serving the colony in that they tend juveniles, gather food, build the nest, or battle
or use of which correct i.e. are serving the colony in which they tend juveniles, gather food, build the nest, or battle

Experts, please reply

I understand the answer, but isn't rest singular?? what am I missing?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: Like ants, termites have an elaborate social structure in [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2013, 09:42
swati007 wrote:

Below is my question:

Experts, please reply

Hi Swati,

look @ the first part of the sentence it is only " few individuals reproduce and the rest" , so the second should also go in simple present tense.

Hope I explained what you were asking. :shock:

Regards
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 4

Re: Like ants, termites have an elaborate social structure in [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2013, 17:38
swati007 wrote:

Below is my question:

Experts, please reply

prep can not be followed by "that"
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 57

Re: Like ants, termites have an elaborate social structure in [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2013, 05:04
The answer will be "E".

It is a simple case of Parallelism.

Option A and Option B are out as there is no Parallelism b/w "a few individuals reproduce and the rest are serving".

Options C, D and E correct the above error but Option C and D shows no Parallelism later in the sentence by using "or by battling".
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 660 Q46 V35
GPA: 3.6
WE: Business Development (Energy and Utilities)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 36

Re: Like ants, termites have an elaborate social structure in [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2013, 08:42
egmat wrote:
[vimeo]

Excellent explanation E-Gmat.
Thanks.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 3

CAT Tests
Re: Like ants, termites have an elaborate social structure in [#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2014, 11:36
Hi,

If this sentence is written as below then would it be correct?

F. serve the colony, tending juveniles, gathering food, building the nest, or battling

OPtion F is similar to option E just that instead of 'by' verbi-ing phrases .These phrases describe how termites serve teh colony.

My doubt is whether the usage of 'by' in this sentence is mandatory. Can we avoid using 'by' and insted use verb-ing phrases to describe the 'how' aspect of the preceding clause.
Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1298

Kudos [?]: 3662 [0], given: 185

Re: Like ants, termites have an elaborate social structure in [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2014, 10:52
Expert's post
rahulvv wrote:
Hi,

If this sentence is written as below then would it be correct?

F. serve the colony, tending juveniles, gathering food, building the nest, or battling

OPtion F is similar to option E just that instead of 'by' verbi-ing phrases .These phrases describe how termites serve teh colony.

My doubt is whether the usage of 'by' in this sentence is mandatory. Can we avoid using 'by' and insted use verb-ing phrases to describe the 'how' aspect of the preceding clause.

Hi rahulvv,

Yes, option F is correct. We can use Comma + Verb-ing modifier here instead of prepositional phrases (starting with by) to express the "How" aspect of the preceding action. This absolutely correct usage.

However, GMAT will NEVER present both these options together in a question as only One answer can be correct in an official sentence.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeT9_Wr0DlI&feature=youtu.be

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Like ants, termites have an elaborate social structure in [#permalink] New post 31 May 2014, 04:30
Termite colonies are extreme example of organization and every termite knows its role in organization. Work like reproduction, defense, transport ,food collection,food search etc. are evenly distributed in capable ones.
There are three types of termites
Subterranean Termites
Dry-wood Termites
Damp-wood Termites

For more information visit Pinnacle Pest Control
Re: Like ants, termites have an elaborate social structure in   [#permalink] 31 May 2014, 04:30