Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Aug 2014, 06:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Like embryonic germ cells, which are cells that develop

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Schools: MIT Sloan, BU School of Management
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Like embryonic germ cells, which are cells that develop [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2008, 05:40
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

88% (01:24) correct 12% (00:36) wrong based on 85 sessions
Like embryonic germ cells, which are cells that develop early in the formation of the fetus and that later generate eggs or sperm, embryonic stem cells have the ability of developing themselves into different kinds of body tissue.

(A) embryonic stem cells have the ability of developing themselves into different kinds of body tissue
(B) embryonic stem cells have the ability to develop into different kinds of body tissue
(C) in embryonic stem cells there is the ability to develop into different kinds of body tissue
(D) the ability to develop themselves into different kinds of body tissue characterizes embryonic stem cells
(E) the ability of developing into different kinds of body tissue characterizes embryonic stem cells

Official Guide 12 Question

GMAT Official Guide 12

Question: 47
Page: 43
Difficulty: 600

Find All Official Guide Questions

Video Explanations:
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Three passions, simple but overwhelmingly strong, have governed my life: the longing for love, the search for knowledge, and unbearable pity for the suffering of mankind. ----Russell

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
SVP
SVP
Schools: Hard Knocks
Followers: 29

Kudos [?]: 430 [0], given: 32

GMAT Tests User
Re: Sentence Correction (Like embryonic) [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2008, 05:47
When we use the word "ability" it is almost always the ability to do something. So we need a verb there, not a noun. "developing" is a noun. The sentence actually tries to use it as a verb. "developing themselves".
Caroline121 wrote:
Like embryonic germ cells, which are cells that develop early in the formation of the fetus and that later generate eggs or sperm, embryonic stem cells have the ability of developing themselves into different kinds of body tissue.

(A) embryonic stem cells have the ability of developing themselves into different kinds of body tissue
(B) embryonic stem cells have the ability to develop into different kinds of body tissue
(C) in embryonic stem cells there is the ability to develop into different kinds of body tissue
(D) the ability to develop themselves into defferent kinds of body tissue characterizes embryonic stem cells
(E) the ability of developing into different kinds of body tissue characterizes embryonic stem cells

OA is (B), well I selected (A). Why (B) is correct and (A) isn't? :?:

------------------------------------
J Allen Morris
**I'm pretty sure I'm right, but then again, I'm just a guy with his head up his a$$.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

SVP
SVP
Followers: 26

Kudos [?]: 442 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: Sentence Correction (Like embryonic) [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2008, 05:58
Caroline121 wrote:

(D) the ability to develop themselves into defferent kinds of body tissue characterizes embryonic stem cells

Even if A and B looks grammatically correct. Then B is concise (GMAT Prefers concise)

Your attitude determines your altitude
Smiling wins more friends than frowning

VP
VP
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 113 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Sentence Correction (Like embryonic) [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2008, 08:30
Caroline121 wrote:

ability to and ability of are used in different contexts.

ability to <whats the ability>
consider the eg :
jill has the ability to fetch a pile of water.
jill has the ability of fetching a pile of water

ability of <whose ability>
dont question the ability of jill.
here ability of is correct.

:) Hope i have cleared the doubt

cheers
Its Now Or Never

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Sentence Correction (Like embryonic) [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2008, 08:48
ability of developing themselves vs ability to develop into?
which one do you prefer?
I believe A does not capture intended meaning either.
VP
VP
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 113 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Sentence Correction (Like embryonic) [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2008, 10:35
mbawaters wrote:
ability of developing themselves vs ability to develop into?
which one do you prefer?
I believe A does not capture intended meaning either.

I prefer B since it says ability is : to develop into ....

cheers
Its Now Or Never

Intern
Intern
Schools: MIT Sloan, BU School of Management
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Sentence Correction (Like embryonic) [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2008, 18:07
I remember that there is another Sentence Correction which mentions another word " capable".
... the studies indicate dolphins as capable of recognizing themselves in mirrors ....
Below is the URL.
11-p165514?t=24943&hilit=The+results+of+two+recent+unrelated+studies#p165514

Is it the rule that "capable" + "of doing", while "ability" + "to do sth"? As capable is an adj., and ability is a noun. May I just mark that "adj" + "of doing", and "noun" + "to do sth"? :?:

Three passions, simple but overwhelmingly strong, have governed my life: the longing for love, the search for knowledge, and unbearable pity for the suffering of mankind. ----Russell

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 44

CAT Tests
Re: Like embryonic germ cells, which are cells that develop [#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2012, 21:22
The pronoun "themselves" is redundant and unidiomatic when used after "develop."
As to the expression "the ability of developing" it is incorrect stylistically. The correct idiom is "ability TO do something."

If you found my contribution helpful, please click the +1 Kudos button on the left, I kinda need some =)

Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 10-01-2012
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 84

Re: Like embryonic germ cells, which are cells that develop [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2012, 03:29
I went for A instead of B. Hindsight shows that when all rules are done and checked, we need finally to check the "Concision" part in case of a tie.

I will rather do nothing than be busy doing nothing - Zen saying

Expert Post
3 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1238

Kudos [?]: 3421 [3] , given: 183

Re: Like embryonic germ cells, which are cells that develop [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2012, 05:55
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hi folks,

In this official question, selection of correct answer lies on the knowledge of correct idiom and not mere conciseness. “Ability of” and “ability to” both are correct expressions. However, they are used differently.
“Ability of” is generally followed by a “proper” noun. This noun can be a person, an organization, a group, a thing, etc. Here we are not talking about a noun form of any word or a gerund. Following are a few examples from The New York Times:

1. Separately, some of the animals also were injected with a drug that blocks the ability of male sex hormones to bind to receptors in the brain.

2. International relief officials reported an increasingly grim aid crisis stemming from the Syria conflict on Tuesday, with two million people there not getting desperately needed help, and a sudden acceleration of refugees overwhelming the ability of neighboring countries to absorb them.

3. An experimental drug preserved and even improved the walking ability of boys with Duchenne muscular dystrophy in a clinical trial, raising hopes that the first effective treatment for the disease may be on the horizon.

When we use "ability to, it is followed by a verb.
Now let’s study the official question.

This sentence is clearly talking about the ability of embryonic stem cells, a noun, to do something. Hence, we must use the expression “ability to” to communicate that. Notice that use of “ability of developing” is not correct here because “developing” is an ‘ing” noun form, a gerund, and not a “proper” noun.

Hence, the context of the sentence determines the correct usage of the idiom appropriate for that particular sentence.

Hope this helps. :)
Thanks.
Shraddha

Free Webinar: August 24, 2014 - Improve by 70 Points in 30 days: Register for this Free Webinar to learn how to define your strategy, analyze your mocks and improve by 70 points in 30 days. Click here to register.

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 10-25-2012
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 41 [2] , given: 62

Re: Like embryonic germ cells, which are cells that develop [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2012, 07:29
This post received
KUDOS
Quote:

(D) the ability to develop themselves into different kinds of body tissue characterizes embryonic stem cells

Like rule: Like is used to compare nouns,so the correct options should be something like: Like embryonic germ cells, blah..blah, embryonic stem cells ...
Only option A and B follow the above rule and C,D & E can be straightaway eliminated.
In A, ability of developing is unidiomatic, hence can be ruled out.
Correct Answer: B

if my post helped you, let me know by pressing Kudos...

Re: Like embryonic germ cells, which are cells that develop   [#permalink] 25 Oct 2012, 07:29