Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 16:20 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 16:20

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 613 [93]
Given Kudos: 13
 Q49  V32 GMAT 2: 700  Q49  V35
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [22]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30796 [14]
Given Kudos: 635
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [3]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Enterpreneurship, Strategy
Schools:HBS
Send PM
Re: Like Haydn, Schubert wrote a great deal for the stage, but he is remem [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Like Haydn, Schubert wrote a great deal for the stage, but he is remembered principally for his chamber and concert-hall music.

(A) Like Haydn, Schubert
(B) Like Haydn, Schubert also
(C) As has Haydn, Schubert
(D) As did Haydn, Schubert also
(E) As Haydn did, Schubert also

A

B - Redundancy
C - wrong tense, 'as' compares actions (verbs)
D - redundancy and action oriented
E - redundancy and action oriented
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [5]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Leadership, Finance
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.5
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: Like Haydn, Schubert wrote a great deal for the stage, but he is remem [#permalink]
Bookmarks
You should not START a sentence with "as + HELPING VERB + subject", or with "as + subject + HELPING VERB". in those instances, the sentence is better written with "like + SUBJECT".

Example:
as did his brother, james graduated at the head of his class --> wordy/awkward/inferior
like his brother, james graduated at the head of his class --> better.

you can eliminate all of (c), (d), (e) for this reason.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 279 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
WE:General Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
why B is wrong?
I thought that "Like x,Y also" is an idom
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [2]
Given Kudos: 212
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V39
GPA: 4
WE:General Management (Health Care)
Send PM
Bookmarks
RULES:
LIKE is used:
To compare 2 nouns
In Hypothetical situations
When there is no verb following LIKE.

Like followed by a VERB is always wrong...
So if we say, Like I said...this will be wrong usage as per the GMAT... "said" is a verb... it cannot be followed by
LIKE.

AS is used:
To compare actions / verbs / clauses / trends / prepositional phrases
To denote real situations
To denote functions/professions/ designations / jobs / roles etc

In the question we are comparing two nouns, hence LIKE is used...
In option B, also is redundant as LIKE conveys the intent
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 77
Send PM
Can someone explain why usage of 'As' is wrong?
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [1]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
MayankDimri wrote:

The usage of as is not wrong in D and E.

These options just marginally lose out to option A on the basis of conciseness; as pointed out in posts above "also" isn't really needed.
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Expert Reply
MayankDimri wrote:

Hello MayankDimri,

We hope this finds you well.

To answer your query, the use of "as" is not incorrect.

The issue here is that since "as" is used to compare clauses and actions, the use of "as" means that the first element in the comparison must be a verb phrase, making Options D and E needlessly wordy.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 77
Send PM
Thanks for the reply!

Apart from redundancy or conciseness related issues, I wanted to understand meaning wise are we directly comparing the 2 writers i.e. Hayden and Schubert (noun entities, which justifies usage of like for comparison) or the action of 'writing a great deal for stage' (clause, which justifies usage of 'As')?
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [2]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Kudos