Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Dec 2014, 08:31

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Like other performance indicators, the growth rate of a

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 126 [0], given: 20

Like other performance indicators, the growth rate of a [#permalink] New post 08 Nov 2009, 03:39
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

46% (01:49) correct 54% (00:54) wrong based on 270 sessions
Like other performance indicators, the growth rate of a start-up business is generally related to the amount of time and resources dedicated to the endeavor.

a) Like other performance indicators, the growth rate of a start-up business is generally related to the amount of time and
b) Just like other performance indicators, the growth rate of a start-up business is generally related to the amount of time and
c) Like other performance indicators are, the growth rate of a start-up business is generally related to the amount of time and number of
d) As other performance indicators are, the growth rate of a start-up business is generally related to the amount of time and
e) As other performance indicators are, the growth rate of a start-up business is generally related to the amount of time and number of

Will post OA after some discussion. Please explain your answers.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 1

Re: Performance Indicators [#permalink] New post 08 Nov 2009, 04:25
yangsta8 wrote:
Like other performance indicators, the growth rate of a start-up business is generally related to the amount of time and resources dedicated to the endeavor.

a) Like other performance indicators, the growth rate of a start-up business is generally related to the amount of time and
b) Just like other performance indicators, the growth rate of a start-up business is generally related to the amount of time and
c) Like other performance indicators are, the growth rate of a start-up business is generally related to the amount of time and number of
d) As other performance indicators are, the growth rate of a start-up business is generally related to the amount of time and
e) As other performance indicators are, the growth rate of a start-up business is generally related to the amount of time and number of

"the amount of time" and "the number of resources" is correct Not "the amount of time resources". So a,b,d are out. Between c and e, e is correct answer.

As other performance indicators are [related], the growth rate of a start-up business is generally related to the amount of time and number of

Consider kudos for good post.

13 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 100 [13] , given: 25

Re: Performance Indicators [#permalink] New post 09 Nov 2009, 01:03
This post received
KUDOS

There are 1 error in the sentence

Amount of resources - INCORRECT since resources are a countable item unlike time. Eliminate A, B, D

Now comparing C and E, we come to the basic difference between Like and As
Recall that 'Like' is used to compare two nouns whereas 'As' is used to compare two actions/clauses
Since C incorrectly makes 'Like' compare two clauses - with the introduction of the "are", we can eliminate it

Hence E

Hope this helps. Consider Kudos for the post
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 126 [0], given: 20

Re: Performance Indicators [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2009, 23:45
OA is E.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 3

Re: Performance Indicators [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2009, 01:57
Tough question.

We have to use "ARE" in the first sentence to maintain the parallel structure (otherwise, we would compare PERFORMANCE with NUMBER/AMOUNT, which is incorrect).
So A and B are out.

We use "like" to compare and "as" to give examples. "As" clearly is giving examples.
C is out

Finally, the most difficult part.
It would be incorrect to say amount of time and __ resources without something giving the parallelism (we would be comparing AMOUNT of time with resources"

So, we HAVE to use amount of time and NUMBER of resources

therefore, the answer is E
Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 69

Kudos [?]: 378 [0], given: 109

Re: Performance Indicators [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2011, 09:41
+1 E

"ResourceS" is plural, it is countable. "Number of" is necessary. 8-)

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 10

Re: Performance Indicators [#permalink] New post 05 May 2011, 20:43
in original sentence the amount of is doing parallel to time and resources ,which are countable .....that's why incorrect

A-same reason
B-same reason
C- like can't follow clause
D--as is ok in this context,but the issue remain the same
E- in correct .making parallel amount of time and the number of resources
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: UNC Duke Kellogg
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 4

Re: Performance Indicators [#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2011, 18:46
Nice question this!

Choice E -- amount of time and number of resources;
Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 10-21-2011
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 15

Re: Performance Indicators [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2011, 05:21
Quote:

Answer: E

strike one: should be 'amount of time and number of resources...' and not 'amount of time and resources...' - eliminate A, B and D
strike two: Like vs As - eliminate C

Quote:

zaarathelab wrote:

between Like and As
Recall that 'Like' is used to compare two nouns whereas 'As' is used to compare two actions/clauses

"The best day of your life is the one on which you decide your life is your own. No apologies or excuses. No one to lean on, rely on, or blame. The gift is yours - it is an amazing journey - and you alone are responsible for the quality of it. This is the day your life really begins." - Bob Moawab

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Re: Performance Indicators [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2011, 06:04
diogoguitarrista wrote:
Tough question.

We have to use "ARE" in the first sentence to maintain the parallel structure (otherwise, we would compare PERFORMANCE with NUMBER/AMOUNT, which is incorrect).
So A and B are out.

We use "like" to compare and "as" to give examples. "As" clearly is giving examples.
C is out

Finally, the most difficult part.
It would be incorrect to say amount of time and __ resources without something giving the parallelism (we would be comparing AMOUNT of time with resources"

So, we HAVE to use amount of time and NUMBER of resources

therefore, the answer is E

@manager: I end up to D but can you tell me the ahy "are " is being used?
As is to compare example or action??
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V36
GPA: 3.59
WE: Accounting (Accounting)

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 13

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Like other performance indicators, the growth rate of a [#permalink] New post 29 May 2012, 04:32
This is tough one. I would never have noticed the fact that one "the" refers both to the amount and number of resources. Very nice question, indeed!

I went with A initially.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT Date: 07-23-2012
WE: Programming (Telecommunications)

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 4

Re: Like other performance indicators, the growth rate of a [#permalink] New post 29 May 2012, 07:34
I got E in 2 minutes.
Lesson learned about Like vs As.

FOCUS..this is all I need!

Ku-Do!

Manager
Manager
WE 1: 4.6 years Exp IT prof
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 38

Re: Like other performance indicators, the growth rate of a [#permalink] New post 29 May 2012, 07:36
Could you please share with us the source of the question.

I will give a Fight till the End

"To dream anything that you want to dream, that is the beauty of the human mind. To do anything that you want to do, that is the strength of the human will. To trust yourself, to test your limits, that is the courage to succeed."
- Bernard Edmonds

A person who is afraid of Failure can never succeed -- Amneet Padda

Don't Forget to give the KUDOS

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
Schools: Ross '17, Duke '17
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
Followers: 48

Kudos [?]: 259 [0], given: 43

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Like other performance indicators, the growth rate of a [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2012, 17:03
yangsta8 wrote:

Like go with Noun, but the other performance indicators is plural form, and the growth rate of start-up business is singular form. => Using Like in choice A is wrong. => plural noun in choice A should go with AS and ARE.
As go with Clause
=> choice B and C are out.

The amount of time (which is uncountable) and the number of resources (which is plural countable noun) => Choice E should be the answer.

Rules for posting in verbal gmat forum, read it before posting anything in verbal forum
Giving me + 1 kudos if my post is valuable with you :)

The more you like my post, the more you share to other's need

CR: Focus of the Week: Must be True Question

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 680 Q51 V29
GPA: 3.94

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Like other performance indicators, the growth rate of a [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2012, 17:59
Resources is a countable word so it cannot be modified with "the amount of", so C,E left, and "like .... are" seems to be weird, maybe "are" is not needed. Thus E.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 560 Q36 V34
GPA: 3.1
WE: Sales (Transportation)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 85

Re: Like other performance indicators, the growth rate of a [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2013, 10:54
As can not stand alone without a working verb; E.

"The Burnout" - My Debrief

Kudos if I helped you ;)

Andy

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 6

Re: Like other performance indicators, the growth rate of a [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2013, 12:05
I got this one wrong. I thought that how "ressources" was being used here it could be considered as being uncountable. Indeed, in my opinion it is more the idea of "work" and "effort" put into the business than something really countable (which is more the idea of ressources used to mean "commodities"). Can somebody tell me if this could have made sense or explain why not ?

If not for this error, would question A have been right ? Is the use of "Like" + noun here correct and is it a problem that "other performances" does not agree in number with "the growth rate".

thanks for your help
Director
Director
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Leadership
Schools: HBS '16
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 2: 750 Q51 V41
GPA: 3.3
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 79 [0], given: 268

CAT Tests
Re: Performance Indicators [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2013, 02:08
zaarathelab wrote:

There are 1 error in the sentence

Amount of resources - INCORRECT since resources are a countable item unlike time. Eliminate A, B, D

Now comparing C and E, we come to the basic difference between Like and As
Since C incorrectly makes 'Like' compare two clauses - with the introduction of the "are", we can eliminate it

Hence E

Hope this helps. Consider Kudos for the post

I was confused between D and E, Excellent Explanation.

Like my post Send me a Kudos :) It is a Good manner.
My Debrief: how-to-score-750-and-750-i-moved-from-710-to-189016.html

Re: Performance Indicators   [#permalink] 03 Oct 2013, 02:08