Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 17:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Like the grassy fields and old pastures that the upland

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 17 Aug 2005
Posts: 167
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 06 Oct 2005, 06:05
OA is B
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 29 Jan 2005
Posts: 5252
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 140 [0], given: 0

Reviews Badge
 [#permalink] New post 06 Oct 2005, 20:33
B correctly compares the disappearing regions of grassy fields to the vanishing numbers of sandpipers.
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 05 Apr 2005
Posts: 1735
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 0

Re: SC - Sandpipers [#permalink] New post 06 Oct 2005, 21:21
I also go with B.

but is B an ideal AC? since the sentence is comparing between the grassy fields and old pastures, and the bird? i mean is the comparision logical?

kimmyg wrote:
Like the grassy fields and old pastures that the upland sandpiper needs for feeding and nesting when it returns in May after wintering in the Argentine Pampas, the sandpipers vanishing in the northeastern United States is a result of a residential and industrial development and of changes in farming practices

(B) the bird itself is vanishing in the northeastern United States as a result of residential and industrial development and of changes in



source?????????????????????????????
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 17 Aug 2005
Posts: 167
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2005, 12:43
It's from the OG 11th edition diagnostic test

The OE is as follows:

The comparison introduced by like must be logical and clear; the point of this comparison is that both the habitat and the bird are disappearing for similar reasons. The comparison must use comparable grammatical components; the bird itself is a noun and matches the noun phrases grassy fields and old pastures.

B - This sentence properly compares the bird itself to grassy fields and old pastures; is vanishing as the verb strenghtens the sentence by making the comparison clearer.
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 28 May 2005
Posts: 1743
Location: Dhaka
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2005, 15:03
Good one.

would like to see some more questions discussed from OA 11th edition.
_________________

hey ya......

VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 22 Aug 2005
Posts: 1128
Location: CA
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2006, 08:56
C for correct comparison.

Like
- the grassy fields and old pastures...
- that the birds themselves

are vanishing

D/E are sentence gragments.
_________________

Whether you think you can or think you can't. You're right! - Henry Ford (1863 - 1947)

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 29 Dec 2005
Posts: 23
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2006, 09:03
I think C is the only choice that makes the right comparison
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 17 Dec 2005
Posts: 555
Location: Germany
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Re: SC: Sandpiper [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2006, 10:33
vivek123 wrote:
Probably a tougher one...

Like the grassy fields and old pastures that the upland sandpiper needs for feeding and nesting when it returns in May after wintering in the Argentine Pampas, the sandpipers vanishing in the northeastern United States is a result of a residential and industrial development and of changes in farming practices

(A) the sandpipers vanishing in the northeastern United States is a result of a residential and industrial development and of changes in
(B) the bird itself is vanishing in the northeastern United States as a result of residential and industrial development and of changes in
(C) that the birds themselves are vanishing in the northeastern United states is due to residential and industrial development and changes to
(D) in the northeastern United States, sandpipers’ vanishing due to residential and industrial development and to changes in
(E) in the northeastern United States, the sandpipers’ vanishing, a result of residential and industrial development and changing


I think B is correct.
Like the grassy fields and old pastures ..., the bird itself is vanishing.

(B) the bird itself is vanishing in the northeastern United States as a result of residential and industrial development and of changes in

"In farming practices" is correct; "changes to farming practices" not.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 12 Dec 2005
Posts: 5
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: SC: Sandpiper [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2006, 10:38
This is in fact a tough one.
'Like' in the beginning of the sentence tells me that this is a 'Comparison' type question. It is comparing the grassy fields and old pastures in the Argentine Pampas with the one in the northern United States. So I eliminated A,B,C.
In E, changing in farming practices..does not sound right.
Therefore we are left with D.
I will go with D.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 12 Dec 2005
Posts: 5
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: SC: Sandpiper [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2006, 11:02
This is in fact a tough one.
'Like' in the beginning of the sentence tells me that this is a 'Comparison' type question. It is comparing the grassy fields and old pastures in the Argentine Pampas with the one in the northern United States. So I eliminated A,B,C.
In E, changing in farming practices..does not sound right.
Therefore we are left with D.
I will go with D.
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 22 Aug 2005
Posts: 1128
Location: CA
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 0

Re: SC: Sandpiper [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2006, 11:32
allabout wrote:
vivek123 wrote:
Probably a tougher one...

Like the grassy fields and old pastures that the upland sandpiper needs for feeding and nesting when it returns in May after wintering in the Argentine Pampas, the sandpipers vanishing in the northeastern United States is a result of a residential and industrial development and of changes in farming practices

(A) the sandpipers vanishing in the northeastern United States is a result of a residential and industrial development and of changes in
(B) the bird itself is vanishing in the northeastern United States as a result of residential and industrial development and of changes in
(C) that the birds themselves are vanishing in the northeastern United states is due to residential and industrial development and changes to
(D) in the northeastern United States, sandpipers’ vanishing due to residential and industrial development and to changes in
(E) in the northeastern United States, the sandpipers’ vanishing, a result of residential and industrial development and changing


I think B is correct.
Like the grassy fields and old pastures ..., the bird itself is vanishing.

(B) the bird itself is vanishing in the northeastern United States as a result of residential and industrial development and of changes in

"In farming practices" is correct; "changes to farming practices" not.

Agree with B. Correct noun-clause comparision:
- grassy fields and old pastures
- the bird itself
_________________

Whether you think you can or think you can't. You're right! - Henry Ford (1863 - 1947)

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 29 Dec 2005
Posts: 23
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2006, 19:29
In B, wouldn't it be wrong to compare a plural (grassy fields) to a singular (the bird itself)?

Not sure if we have to watch for these things?
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 04 Oct 2005
Posts: 587
Location: Chicago
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2006, 19:54
Damn, its really a tough one..
I am inclined towards E..
Like grassy fields......north Eastern US...

Though the sentence sounds awkward, but only North eastern US can be compared to the grassy fields..
OA plz?
SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 14 Dec 2004
Posts: 1709
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2006, 20:58
Good job allabout,

OA is 'B'.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 08 Jun 2005
Posts: 22
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: SC: Sandpiper [#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2006, 08:14
vivek123 wrote:
Probably a tougher one...

Like the grassy fields and old pastures that the upland sandpiper needs for feeding and nesting when it returns in May after wintering in the Argentine Pampas, the sandpipers vanishing in the northeastern United States is a result of a residential and industrial development and of changes in farming practices

(A) the sandpipers vanishing in the northeastern United States is a result of a residential and industrial development and of changes in
(B) the bird itself is vanishing in the northeastern United States as a result of residential and industrial development and of changes in
(C) that the birds themselves are vanishing in the northeastern United states is due to residential and industrial development and changes to
(D) in the northeastern United States, sandpipers’ vanishing due to residential and industrial development and to changes in
(E) in the northeastern United States, the sandpipers’ vanishing, a result of residential and industrial development and changing


this is a faculty comparison question

you can't compare fields to birds so A B and C are out. D and E compares fields to northeaster United States, so let's start there.

for D Sandpipers' vanishing due to............. needs to be Sandpipers are vanishing due to

So go with E
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 04 Jan 2006
Posts: 51
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Option B for me [#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2006, 21:26
Hey Princeofshanghai,

In this case you are not comparing fields with birds but the vanishing of the two. Hence they can be compared.

e.g. Like my dog, Sourav Ganguly goes astray when not kept on leash. This is not faulty comparison. Faulty comparison is when you compare 2 unlike things. e.g. My house is more expensive than Sourav.
Now I am comparing price to a person hence is wrong.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 09 Jun 2005
Posts: 100
Location: New York
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 06 Jan 2006, 06:11
B.

The idea is not to compare birds and fields, but to bring out the likeness in their disappearance.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 08 Jun 2005
Posts: 22
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Option B for me [#permalink] New post 06 Jan 2006, 06:33
mbadownunder wrote:
Hey Princeofshanghai,

In this case you are not comparing fields with birds but the vanishing of the two. Hence they can be compared.

e.g. Like my dog, Sourav Ganguly goes astray when not kept on leash. This is not faulty comparison. Faulty comparison is when you compare 2 unlike things. e.g. My house is more expensive than Sourav.
Now I am comparing price to a person hence is wrong.


how so are they comparing the vanishing of the two???? the first part of the sentence doesn't say anything about the fields vanishing.

am I reading this wrong????
SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 14 Dec 2004
Posts: 1709
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 0

Re: Option B for me [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2006, 04:56
princeofshanghai wrote:
mbadownunder wrote:
Hey Princeofshanghai,

In this case you are not comparing fields with birds but the vanishing of the two. Hence they can be compared.

e.g. Like my dog, Sourav Ganguly goes astray when not kept on leash. This is not faulty comparison. Faulty comparison is when you compare 2 unlike things. e.g. My house is more expensive than Sourav.
Now I am comparing price to a person hence is wrong.


how so are they comparing the vanishing of the two???? the first part of the sentence doesn't say anything about the fields vanishing.

am I reading this wrong????


I think this is called ellipses, where part is assumed.
Both examples below are correct,
1) "Dolphins make sound like humans".
2) "Dolphins make sound as humans do".
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 31 May 2006
Posts: 56
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2006, 05:28
Its B

Like needs comparision btw 2 nouns. Thats only in A/B

A slightly changes the meaning.
_________________

Learn and let others learn

  [#permalink] 19 Jun 2006, 05:28
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
3 Experts publish their posts in the topic Like the grassy fields and old pastures that the upland fozzzy 3 09 Dec 2012, 05:57
1 Like the grassy fields and old pastures that the upland acdbe2003 5 04 Dec 2011, 19:57
2 Like the grassy fields and old pastures that the upland dkverma 5 07 Aug 2010, 14:27
Like the grassy fields and old pastures that the upland Caas 0 05 Jun 2007, 08:59
Like the grassy fields and old pastures that the upland 700slave 0 19 Jul 2005, 12:02
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Like the grassy fields and old pastures that the upland

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   6    Next  [ 105 posts ] 



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.