Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Aug 2014, 06:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Lincoln, discovering in young manhood the secret that the

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 68 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Lincoln, discovering in young manhood the secret that the [#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2008, 19:06
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
Lincoln, discovering in young manhood the secret that the Yankee peddler has learned before him, knew how to use a good story to generate good will.

(A) Lincoln, discovering in young manhood the secret that the Yankee peddler has learned before him, knew

(B) Discovering in young manhood the secret that the Yankee peddler has learned before him, Lincoln knew

(C) Lincoln, discovering the secret that the Yankee peddler had learned in young manhood before him, knew

(D) In young manhood Lincoln discovered the secret that the Yankee peddler had learned before him;

(E) Lincoln, discovered in young manhood the secret that the Yankee peddler had learned before him, knew

edit : I hate to post something which has already been discussed . I thought this was never posted but now I realize that I was searching it all wrong..
anyway SC enthusiasts can still give a shot
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: SC - Yankee Peddler [#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2008, 19:35
Imo C

Active -ing form is required for the participle instead of passive -ed form. So D & E are out. Past perfect 'had' is better than 'has' because of 'before'. So C is better. Imo 'had' itself is redundant here.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 104 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC - Yankee Peddler [#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2008, 23:02
This is good one.
The sentence has modifying phrase issue – “Discovering in young manhood the secret X”

Here "that" is functioning as "adjective" not relative pronoun and this is creating a introductory modifying phrase - rare to see such beauties :lol: . - I mean questions :shock:

(A) Lincoln, discovering in young manhood the secret that the Yankee peddler has learned before him, knew [Placement of modifying phrase - eliminate it]

(B) Discovering in young manhood the secret that the Yankee peddler has learned before him, Lincoln knew [Hold it]

(C) Lincoln, discovering the secret that the Yankee peddler had learned in young manhood before him, knew [changes the meaning of the sentence – eliminate it]

(D) In young manhood Lincoln discovered the secret that the Yankee peddler had learned before him; [Grammatically OK but misses “knew” attribute – eliminate it]

(E) Lincoln, discovered in young manhood the secret that the Yankee peddler had learned before him, knew [creating a run-on sentence – eliminate it]

Answer: B
VP
VP
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 121 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC - Yankee Peddler [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2008, 10:03
(B) Discovering in young manhood the secret that the Yankee peddler has learned before him, Lincoln knew [Hold it]

I may agree that B could be right but, anyway, don't we need "had learned" instead of "has learned"?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Berkeley Haas
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC - Yankee Peddler [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2008, 10:19
I thought C at first, but then reading again it was a clear B.
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC - Yankee Peddler [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2008, 20:14
OA is B
Director
Director
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC - Yankee Peddler [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2008, 21:18
B) is 100% wrong. Unless you typed it wrong.

We require "had".
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC - Yankee Peddler [#permalink] New post 29 Feb 2008, 01:26
Hi Guys , assuming this question comes from 1000 SC and I think the OA is questionable. :evil:
I think we should start a thread to note down the wrong answers in the 1000SC , so it help
others.

Lincoln, discovering in young manhood the secret that the Yankee peddler has learned before him, knew how to use a good story to generate good will.

(A) Lincoln, discovering in young manhood the secret that the Yankee peddler has learned before him, knew
(B) Discovering in young manhood the secret that the Yankee peddler has learned before him, Lincoln knew
(C) Lincoln, discovering the secret that the Yankee peddler had learned in young manhood before him, knew
(D) In young manhood Lincoln discovered the secret that the Yankee peddler had learned before him;
(E) Lincoln, discovered in young manhood the secret that the Yankee peddler had learned before him, knew

The past form knew clearly signals that the events we are talking is in the past.
X discovered that Y had learned. Should be the correct and logical contruction.
Eliminate A,C => X dicovering that Y had learned. If X is discovering how X Knew ?????
Eliminate B => X dicovering that Y has learned. If X is discovering how X Knew ?????

I am now really bolwed down by D and E ....
Both yes, discovered in young manhood cannot mofify Lincoln. Changes the meaning
of the sentense. Lincoln was discovered in youth ????

Answer is D.

Guys please suggest.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 0

Re: SC - Yankee Peddler [#permalink] New post 29 Feb 2008, 02:15
huntgmat wrote:
Hi Guys , assuming this question comes from 1000 SC and I think the OA is questionable. :evil:
I think we should start a thread to note down the wrong answers in the 1000SC , so it help
others.

The past form knew clearly signals that the events we are talking is in the past.
X discovered that Y had learned. Should be the correct and logical contruction.
Eliminate A,C => X dicovering that Y had learned. If X is discovering how X Knew ?????
Eliminate B => X dicovering that Y has learned. If X is discovering how X Knew ?????

I am now really bolwed down by D and E ....
Both yes, discovered in young manhood cannot mofify Lincoln. Changes the meaning
of the sentense. Lincoln was discovered in youth ????

Answer is D.

Guys please suggest.

I go with D. It is not necessary to add knew to this sentence.

Neelabh Mahesh

Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC - Yankee Peddler [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2008, 20:52
StartupAddict wrote:
B) is 100% wrong. Unless you typed it wrong.

We require "had".

Well I don't think I have typed wrong. OA is B from most of the discussions and from SC1000.
I got D, thats a different case.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: SC - Yankee Peddler [#permalink] New post 02 Mar 2008, 21:45
my take: (D) In young manhood Lincoln discovered the secret that the Yankee peddler had learned before him;
Re: SC - Yankee Peddler   [#permalink] 02 Mar 2008, 21:45