Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Aug 2014, 21:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Lincoln, discovering in young manhood the secret that the

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 11 Apr 2009
Posts: 212
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Lincoln, discovering in young manhood the secret that the [#permalink] New post 20 May 2009, 16:57
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

19% (02:11) correct 81% (01:02) wrong based on 48 sessions
Lincoln, discovering in young manhood the secret that the Yankee peddler has learned before him, knew how to use a good story to generate good will.

A. Lincoln, discovering in young manhood the secret that the Yankee peddler has learned before him, knew

B. Discovering in young manhood the secret that the Yankee peddler has learned before him, Lincoln knew

C. Lincoln, discovering the secret that the Yankee peddler had learned in young manhood before him, knew

D. In young manhood Lincoln discovered the secret that the Yankee peddler had learned before him;

E. Lincoln, discovered in young manhood the secret that the Yankee peddler had learned before him, knew
CEO
CEO
User avatar
Joined: 17 May 2007
Posts: 2995
Followers: 55

Kudos [?]: 431 [0], given: 210

GMAT Tests User
Re: Lincoln [#permalink] New post 20 May 2009, 17:36
Usage of "has" is incorrect A and B.
C seems to change the meaning.

Its a close call between D and E. I'll go for D - it sounds more right.

nightwing79 wrote:
Lincoln, discovering in young manhood the secret that the Yankee peddler has learned before him, knew how to use a good story to generate good will.

A. Lincoln, discovering in young manhood the secret that the Yankee peddler has learned before him, knew

B. Discovering in young manhood the secret that the Yankee peddler has learned before him, Lincoln knew

C. Lincoln, discovering the secret that the Yankee peddler had learned in young manhood before him, knew

D. In young manhood Lincoln discovered the secret that the Yankee peddler had learned before him;

E. Lincoln, discovered in young manhood the secret that the Yankee peddler had learned before him, knew
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 30 Mar 2009
Posts: 258
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 65 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Lincoln [#permalink] New post 20 May 2009, 17:56
IMO D

Lincoln, discovering in young manhood the secret that the Yankee peddler has learned before him, knew how to use a good story to generate good will.

A. Lincoln, discovering in young manhood the secret that the Yankee peddler has learned before him, knew

B. Discovering in young manhood the secret that the Yankee peddler has learned before him, Lincoln knew

C. Lincoln, discovering the secret that the Yankee peddler had learned in young manhood before him, knew -->distorts original meaning

D. In young manhood Lincoln discovered the secret that the Yankee peddler had learned before him; -->the best

E. Lincoln, discovered in young manhood the secret that the Yankee peddler had learned before him, knew
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 07 Nov 2007
Posts: 1829
Location: New York
Followers: 26

Kudos [?]: 442 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: Lincoln [#permalink] New post 20 May 2009, 20:28
Minheequang wrote:
IMO D

Lincoln, discovering in young manhood the secret that the Yankee peddler has learned before him, knew how to use a good story to generate good will.

A. Lincoln, discovering in young manhood the secret that the Yankee peddler has learned before him, knew

B. Discovering in young manhood the secret that the Yankee peddler has learned before him, Lincoln knew

C. Lincoln, discovering the secret that the Yankee peddler had learned in young manhood before him, knew -->distorts original meaning

D. In young manhood Lincoln discovered the secret that the Yankee peddler had learned before him; -->the best

E. Lincoln, discovered in young manhood the secret that the Yankee peddler had learned before him, knew


For me All options look wrong.

in D after semicolon, "how to use a good story to generate good will." not stand by itself.

What is the source.
_________________

Your attitude determines your altitude
Smiling wins more friends than frowning

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 30 Mar 2009
Posts: 258
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 65 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Lincoln [#permalink] New post 20 May 2009, 20:42
x2suresh wrote:
Minheequang wrote:
IMO D

Lincoln, discovering in young manhood the secret that the Yankee peddler has learned before him, knew how to use a good story to generate good will.

A. Lincoln, discovering in young manhood the secret that the Yankee peddler has learned before him, knew

B. Discovering in young manhood the secret that the Yankee peddler has learned before him, Lincoln knew

C. Lincoln, discovering the secret that the Yankee peddler had learned in young manhood before him, knew -->distorts original meaning

D. In young manhood Lincoln discovered the secret that the Yankee peddler had learned before him; -->the best

E. Lincoln, discovered in young manhood the secret that the Yankee peddler had learned before him, knew


For me All options look wrong.

in D after semicolon, "how to use a good story to generate good will." not stand by itself.

What is the source.

I think the clause how to use a good story to generate good will makes a completed clause:
Subject (how) + Verb (to use) + Object (a good story) + modifier for Object(to generate good will)

After the semi colon, such clause can stand isolately and create a meaning to modify for the first clause (stands before the semi colon)
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 11 Apr 2009
Posts: 212
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: Lincoln [#permalink] New post 21 May 2009, 03:44
Source: Gmatter
OA = D

p.s: was there a semicolon?
_________________

-talent is the desire to practice-

Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 23 May 2008
Posts: 840
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Lincoln [#permalink] New post 23 May 2009, 10:34
agree with D, even though the second clause can not stand alone, a semicolon can be used to indicate a strong pause(stronger than a comma) in a sentence.

http://www.ehow.com/how_5955_semicolon.html
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 29 Aug 2005
Posts: 881
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 150 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User
Re: Lincoln [#permalink] New post 23 May 2009, 10:54
Seems a poor question to learn from.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 12 Aug 2008
Posts: 62
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 2

Re: Lincoln [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2009, 09:29
nightwing79 wrote:
Source: Gmatter
OA = D

p.s: was there a semicolon?



OA is not D, but B

This is #970 from the 1000 series.

Any explanations?
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 22 Jun 2007
Posts: 75
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Re: Lincoln [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2009, 14:12
@sid3699

Can you please give us some explanations how B is the right answer ?

sid3699 wrote:
nightwing79 wrote:
Source: Gmatter
OA = D

p.s: was there a semicolon?



OA is not D, but B

This is #970 from the 1000 series.

Any explanations?
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 12 Aug 2008
Posts: 62
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 2

Re: Lincoln [#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2009, 04:54
jn.mohit wrote:
@sid3699

Can you please give us some explanations how B is the right answer ?

sid3699 wrote:
nightwing79 wrote:
Source: Gmatter
OA = D

p.s: was there a semicolon?



OA is not D, but B

This is #970 from the 1000 series.

Any explanations?


I have no idea. I too am trying to get an explanation. Per the 1000 SC, the OA given is B.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 25 Jul 2009
Posts: 331
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Lincoln [#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2009, 21:15
None of the option looks correct, there are few questions in 1000 SC pack those are completely wrong
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 27 Apr 2008
Posts: 111
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Re: Lincoln [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2010, 04:22
B is right - the use of past perfect is right only if the other verb in the clause is in past simple tens. In this case, there is no past simple, only present participle (Discovering) - thus the use of present perfect is right.
SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 17 Feb 2010
Posts: 1561
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 207 [0], given: 6

Re: Lincoln [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2010, 08:09
B for me.

"Discovering in young manhood the secret that the Yankee peddler has learned before him" is modifying Linclon

Discovering in young manhood the secret that the Yankee peddler has learned before him, Lincoln knew how to use a good story to generate goodwill.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 26 Dec 2009
Posts: 147
Location: United Kingdom
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 500 Q45 V16
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User
Re: Lincoln [#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2011, 10:26
yep D for me. concise, correct meaning and both clauses can stand independant.
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
User avatar
Status: Flying over the cloud!
Joined: 16 Aug 2011
Posts: 817
Location: Viet Nam
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
Schools: Ross '17, Duke '16
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
Followers: 36

Kudos [?]: 207 [1] , given: 42

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Lincoln, discovering in young manhood the secret that the [#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2011, 10:11
1
This post received
KUDOS
This question is wrong in semicolon, it should be colon. I found other source that state the colon. So semicolon in here is wrong
_________________

Rules for posting in verbal gmat forum, read it before posting anything in verbal forum
Giving me + 1 kudos if my post is valuable with you :)

The more you like my post, the more you share to other's need

CR: Focus of the Week: Must be True Question

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 08 Jul 2008
Posts: 148
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 1

Re: Lincoln, discovering in young manhood the secret that the [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2011, 07:48
In my opinion, B is better than D. Since D has ";" which requires 2 parallel clauses.. B is my answer
Re: Lincoln, discovering in young manhood the secret that the   [#permalink] 15 Nov 2011, 07:48
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Lincoln, discovering in young manhood the secret that the ecotopia 4 04 Jun 2006, 04:26
Lincoln, discovering in young manhood the secret that the cdm2006 6 01 May 2006, 07:27
Lincoln, discovering in young manhood the secret that the shahnandan 8 13 Feb 2006, 21:07
Lincoln, discovering in young manhood the secret that the gamjatang 7 08 Dec 2005, 08:07
Lincoln, discovering in young manhood the secret that the rahulraao 16 13 Nov 2005, 05:08
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Lincoln, discovering in young manhood the secret that the

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


cron

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.