Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Apr 2014, 18:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Lincoln, discovering in young manhood the secret that the

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Lincoln, discovering in young manhood the secret that the [#permalink] New post 06 Sep 2009, 18:45
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

57% (01:44) correct 42% (00:30) wrong based on 7 sessions
970. Lincoln, discovering in young manhood the secret that the Yankee peddler has learned before him, knew how to use a good story to generate good will.
(A) Lincoln, discovering in young manhood the secret that the Yankee peddler has learned before him, knew
(B) Discovering in young manhood the secret that the Yankee peddler has learned before him, Lincoln knew
(C) Lincoln, discovering the secret that the Yankee peddler had learned in young manhood before him, knew
(D) In young manhood Lincoln discovered the secret that the Yankee peddler had learned before him;
(E) Lincoln, discovered in young manhood the secret that the Yankee peddler had learned before him, knew
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 2

Reviews Badge
Re: 1000 SC [#permalink] New post 06 Sep 2009, 20:45
E.

Because "had learned happend" before he discovered. The typical case of an action happend in the past beofre another action.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: 1000 SC [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2010, 19:03
in E knew is not needed. I pick D. OA please?
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: 1000 SC [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2010, 22:42
I'll pick C. OA plz?

My 2 cents

Here, most of the correct options use past tense 'knew' and Yankee is suppose to know the secret before Lincoln knew

(A) Lincoln, discovering in young manhood the secret that the Yankee peddler has learned before him, knew ---> present perfect changes the meaning. (only past tense learned or past perfect had learned would be correct)
(B) Discovering in young manhood the secret that the Yankee peddler has learned before him, Lincoln knew
(C) Lincoln, discovering the secret that the Yankee peddler had learned in young manhood before him, knew --> correct -- knowing is a consequence of discovering earlier
(D) In young manhood Lincoln discovered the secret that the Yankee peddler had learned before him; --> ; unnecessary
(E) Lincoln, discovered in young manhood the secret that the Yankee peddler had learned before him, knew --> discovered and knew would have been correct acc to me.

Regards
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 39

GMAT Tests User
Re: Lincoln, discovering in young manhood the secret that the [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2013, 02:47
THIS is beautiful.
I aggree C. "had done" in C happen before "discovering"which is at the same time with "knew" . This situation is good, I think

pls comment. This question is nice
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 2

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Lincoln, discovering in young manhood the secret that the [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2013, 04:22
thangvietnam wrote:
THIS is beautiful.
I aggree C. "had done" in C happen before "discovering"which is at the same time with "knew" . This situation is good, I think

pls comment. This question is nice

My bet is on E

(E) Lincoln, discovered in young manhood the secret that the Yankee peddler had learned before him, knew

Something was done before something else - Both in past. So there has to be a past perfect, hence the use of "Had Learned" makes sense!

One Last Shot

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 8

Premium Member
Re: Lincoln, discovering in young manhood the secret that the [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2013, 04:35
Quote:
surya quote :My bet is on E

Something was done before something else - Both in past. So there has to be a past perfect, hence the use of "Had Learned" makes sense!

E is outright wrong .in fact in present state all options are outright wrong !!!

i guess D has been wrongly typed here like this .the semicolon at the end sud have been a colon
instead !!!

that change wud make D the best choice !!

D sud have been :

In young manhood Lincoln discovered the secret that the Yankee peddler had learned before him:how to use a good story to generate good will.
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 240

Kudos [?]: 1172 [0], given: 244

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Lincoln, discovering in young manhood the secret that the [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2013, 04:52
Expert's post
Those who have not chosen C: what is the problem with C
Manager
Manager

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Lincoln, discovering in young manhood the secret that the [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2013, 04:58
aditya8062 wrote:
Quote:
surya quote :My bet is on E

E is outright wrong .in fact in present state all options are outright wrong !!!

i guess D has been wrongly typed here like this .the semicolon at the end sud have been a colon
instead !!!

that change wud make D the best choice !!

D sud have been :

In young manhood Lincoln discovered the secret that the Yankee peddler had learned before him:how to use a good story to generate good will.

We cant change the options!

One Last Shot

Manager
Manager

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Lincoln, discovering in young manhood the secret that the [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2013, 05:03
Can someone please post the OA with the right explanation! I am running out of patience!

One Last Shot

Manager
Manager

Premium Member
Re: Lincoln, discovering in young manhood the secret that the [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2013, 05:06
Quote:
daagh wrote :Those who have not chosen C: what is the problem with C

C is changing the meaning :it was lincoln in his young manhood who did this leaning not that other guy as propounded by C
Manager
Manager

Premium Member
Re: Lincoln, discovering in young manhood the secret that the [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2013, 05:17
Quote:
We cant change the options!

D as it is wrongly written !!!
Retired Moderator

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Lincoln, discovering in young manhood the secret that the [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2013, 05:20
Expert's post
@surya167

(E) Lincoln, discovered in young manhood the secret that the Yankee peddler had learned before him, knew how to use a good story to generate good will.
In terms of meaning and construction, E is a poor sentence.
1. If Lincoln had dissevered something then we cannot put a comma after Lincoln. It looks as if Lincoln was discovered.
2. Per se, the sentence is a run on with just a comma but not a conjunction between him and knew. In this case Lincoln has two verbs, 1. Discovered 2. Knew. In order to avoid this trap, C, rightly converts the discovered in to a present participial modifier – discovering- that rightly modifies Lincoln

As others have pointed out, A and B have tense problem, D has punctuation problem. C is the best
Manager
Manager

Premium Member
Re: Lincoln, discovering in young manhood the secret that the [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2013, 05:22
Quote:
daagh wrote :As others have pointed out, A and B have tense problem, D has punctuation problem. C is the best

firstly C is wrongly changing the meaning and secondly the original poster has wrongly copied this question .
Manager
Manager

Premium Member
Re: Lincoln, discovering in young manhood the secret that the [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2013, 05:25
Lincoln, discovering in young manhood the secret that the Yankee peddler has learned before him, knew how to use a good story to generate good will.

(A) Lincoln, discovering in young manhood the secret that the Yankee peddler has learned before him, knew

(C) Lincoln, discovering the secret that the Yankee peddler had learned in young manhood before him, knew

(D) In young manhood Lincoln discovered the secret that the Yankee peddler had learned before him:

the correct question is this .i dont understand why do people put wrong question !!!
Retired Moderator

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Lincoln, discovering in young manhood the secret that the [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2013, 05:47
Expert's post
It was not Lincoln who learnt first; it was the Yankee peddler who had learnt before Lincoln did. All the five choices mention that clearly by placing the learning right next to Yankee peddler. And had learned acts as the verb of the Yankee peddler, the subordinate clues introduced by connector –that- Lincoln only discovered that secret. Otherwise, how can we agree to the use past perfect?

Secondly if one logically follows the use of the reference of the pronoun –him- one will get the picture rightly. Let us replace Him with both subjects0 Lincoln and the peddler. I am using Choice D to illustrate that.
D) In young manhood Lincoln discovered the secret that the Yankee peddler had learned before him Lincoln
D) In young manhood Lincoln discovered the secret that the Yankee peddler had learned before him Yankee peddler.
One can see which makes sense
So there is no change in the meaning of the choices; only other problems remain
Retired Moderator

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Lincoln, discovering in young manhood the secret that the [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2013, 05:57
Expert's post
It is frustrating to see so much of discussion on a wrong transcription
Manager
Manager

Premium Member
Re: Lincoln, discovering in young manhood the secret that the [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2013, 06:04
Daagh trust me i am trying 100 percent to make a meaningful contribution . let me make one last try

oki i will explain how C is changing the meaning
C says : Lincoln, discovering the secret that the Yankee peddler had learned in young manhood before him, knew

look at that bolded portion .what does it suggest ? it suggest that Yankee peddler had learned in young adulthood before Lincoln
now
A says : Lincoln, discovering in young manhood the secret that the Yankee peddler has learned before him

it suggest that Lincoln discovering in young adulthood ....
so there is definitely change of meaning

make sense ?
Retired Moderator

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Lincoln, discovering in young manhood the secret that the [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2013, 06:20
Expert's post
My reply to you was on who learnt first. It was not Lincoln, but the peddler. That was the pith of my point. The phrase, -in young manhood-- modifies Lincoln, but IMO is not as critical as the blatant error as in the original flawed D. Hope you get my point.
Manager
Manager

Premium Member
Re: Lincoln, discovering in young manhood the secret that the [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2013, 06:34
Quote:
My reply to you was on who learnt first. It was not Lincoln, but the peddler.

well that was not my contention either !! i knew this thing as past perfect is used in the sentence

Quote:
The phrase, -in young manhood-- modifies Lincoln, but IMO is not as critical as the blatant error

well change of meaning is not permitted unless the original meaning is nonsensical

Quote:
original flawed D

i have already told u that someone (the original poster ) has wrongly copied the question .
Re: Lincoln, discovering in young manhood the secret that the   [#permalink] 21 Mar 2013, 06:34