Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 04:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Lines k and l lie in the xy-plane. Is the slope of line k

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: St Gallen, Cambridge, HEC Montreal
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 0

Lines k and l lie in the xy-plane. Is the slope of line k [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2008, 07:25
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
Lines k and l lie in the xy-plane. Is the slope of line k less than
the slope of line l ?
(1) The y-intercept of line k is greater than the y-intercept
of line l.
(2) Lines k and l intersect at the point (1, 6)
Director
Director
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 201 [0], given: 0

Re: DS question [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2008, 07:34
C. we can see that the slope of line K is indeed smaller using both statements
Director
Director
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 201 [0], given: 0

Re: DS question [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2008, 08:13
Each statement alone is insufficient for obvious reasons.

Now taken together:

We know that they cross at (1,6) which is in the first quadrant and very close to the y-axis.

it says that K has a greater y-intercept. Now picture the lines meeting at (1,6):

if both slopes are positive then K will have a smaller slope (ie less step). the flatter the slope the higher up it will cross. a slope approaching a flat line will get very close to crossing the y-axis at 6, whereas a very steep slope could potentially cross the y-axis at a negative point!

now if both slopes are negative the opposite is true. the steeper of the two negative slopes will cross at a greater point. thus, if K crosses higher up and they're both negative it will be a smaller number (-3 vs -1 sort of thing).

now if one slope is negative and one slope is positive the negative slope will ALWAYS cross at a higher point. so in this case K would always be the negative one, which is always a smaller number than a positive number.

I really can't explain it much better than that. It's something you have to visualize. maybe draw out the coordinate plane and sketch out some combinations to see what I mean. sorry if I'm not being terribly helpful here, but I didn't use any math or tricks to get this answer.
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 0

Re: DS question [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2008, 09:06
From S1 we can not conclude anything because slope ob both lines can be anything
From S2 we can not conclude anything either.
From S1 and S2, and drawing all the possible lines l and k we can conclude that it is sufficient
Re: DS question   [#permalink] 03 Jan 2008, 09:06