Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 01:52

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Literally finished an hour ago - unofficial 740!! :D

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
4 KUDOS received
BSchool Forum Moderator
GMAT 1: 740 Q52 V38
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 196 [4] , given: 126

Premium Member
Literally finished an hour ago - unofficial 740!! :D [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2013, 12:50
This post received
KUDOS
Sorry, I'm way too excited right now, so I just have to share. I took my GMATs at noon today and am very surprised and happy with my score. I have thirty minutes to write this, so it might not be as coherent as I'd like it to be...

For some background. Around six weeks ago, I decided that maybe I should apply to bschools and to take the GMATs. I'm 31, and applying for fall of 2014 is the only chance I'll have. I have a wife and two kids, and it's basically the only time we feel like a move will be possible for us before we settle down for good. This has been quite the six-week journey for us (my wife and I). I should also mention here that my wife is currently is school full time and also works part time, so we're both incredibly busy. I am so thankful that she's been so supportive and able to give me time to study by occupying the kiddos.

Anyway, here are reasons why I thought I would fail the GMATs today. I did my last of any studying or practicing questions 4days ago on Saturday. Saturday night I got hit with a bug and been puking all night with a fever. My daughter then got this too, and had to miss school on Monday. So Sunday I was too sick to do anything, and Monday I was still sick and had to take care of a sick child. Tuesday I went back to work and was slammed with lots of work (Monday work compiled). And since people have been saying to have a relaxing day before, I didn't do anything last night.

Okay, so not only did I not touch the GMAT for four days, but I've been steadily getting worse on my practice CATs. Here's a list of the CATs I've taken.

8/27, kaplan cat1, 710 Q51 V29
9/14, kaplan cat2, 750 Q51 V33
9/17, manhattangmat, 690 Q48 V36
9/21, economist, 730 Q50 V41
9/24, kaplan cat3, 720 Q51 V34
9/28, gmat pill, 740 Q49 V42
9/28, gmat prep 1, 700 Q50 V34
9/29, kaplan cat4, 710 Q50 V38
10/1, Veritas, 690 Q50 V35
10/5, gmat prep 2, 680 Q49 V33

Plan was to take the last Kaplan I had on Sunday, but stupid sickness prevented me from doing any such thing. Anyway, this downward trend really worried us. By Saturday, we basically conceded the fact that six weeks clearly wasn't enough time to study and that I should register for another exam 31 days after today. I still had a log of OG problems to finish, I still feel uncomfortable with many idioms and general sentence correction things...

So, I registered for an exam at noon. I can't believe people register for exams at 8:00am. I slept in, waking up from a call at 8:30 from my wife... saying she forgot to bring the milk into the day care, so I'm gonna have to do that :| Great. So I went off and did that (it's 15 mins each way). Came back, and it's already past 9:30... took a shower, made sure I found and wore my favorite outfit, ate leftovers... hm still got an hour to kill. I can now see why some people register for the 8am. The anxiety and wait is killing me. I read my Tepper brochure to pump me up then left. Got to exam center early, had to wait half an hour for a computer to open up.

Anyway, the exam. I felt the AWA was better than I had expected, esp considering I didn't practice it. I was gonna do that sometime in the four days before the exam, oops. The AWA section ended as I was typing away, so there's at least one unfinished sentence in it. Oh well.

I've been doing really well on the IR sections in the practice CATs I've been taking (always 7 or 8). However, I felt like I had a lot of trouble with this one. Timing is always tricky on IR. Anyway, I guess I won't know how I did until the official mail comes. I don't expect it to be great though. Same with the AWA.

At this point, I'm already hungry. And I should mention here that I didn't bring food. I figured I'd eat right before the exam, since it's around lunch time, but I guess I kinda forgot about that. Anyway, with the quant, I always feel like I get 100% of them right. Of course, that's never the case. So I can really only judge how I'm doing based on how hard the questions are... which is an awful indicator. Nevertheless, more than half way through, there were lots of really really easy dumb questions, so I figured maybe I wasn't doing as well as I'd hope. But, I can never tell with quant. I finished 15 minutes early, and decided to rest for 15 mins at my cube, and skip the 8 min break.

Now Verbal. I felt like I was doing like I normally did. I can never tell the difference between two of the answers on certain SCs and CRs... but whatever. I was a little sad that I didn't get any science reading passages, as that's my forte, but I'm so thankful I didn't get a reading passage that I didn't comprehend. That tends to happen time to time and I usually end up getting all the RC questions wrong for that passage. Anyway half way through I checked the time, and I was right on target to use up the entire 75 minutes. Then I'm not sure how, but I was left with 10 questions and 15 minutes, which turned into 4 questions in 1 minute. The first three were long CR questions, so I literally randomly guessed, and the last was a SC, which I quickly skimmed and made an educated guess.

So crap. I guessed on the last 4 verbal questions. I was so sure I was not going to be happy with my score. But no way I'd cancel. Our plan was that I'd register for another exam 31 days after this, and in the meantime take my studying a little more seriously by registering with Knewton or some place else that had a guarantee for 50+ points. Anyway, wow, that's a lot of pages you have to go through just to see your score... just show me already!!!

Turned out to be a 740! :D Q51 V38. I've been so excited and I'm glad I'll have an extra month now to work on these apps that will be due on Jan 2014... the real adventure begins!

Ok sorry for the ramble but I'm out of time... I need to pick up the kiddos.

My review of some of the CAT practice exams
You can usually find me on gmatclub's chat.

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.28
WE: Analyst (Investment Banking)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 83

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Literally finished an hour ago - unofficial 740!! :D [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2013, 23:35
Congrats to your score, especially when it is higher than most of your MGMAT and GMATPREP :D.

Btw, your mock CAT scores (MGMAT and GMATPREP) are nearly the same to mine and so the timing of quantitative section is (I got Q50 in GMATPREP 1 and had 12 minutes remaining). Now I'm planning on scheduling the exam in next two weeks.

I can't understand how Kaplan score their CAT :shock:

All the bests come to your application :-D
1 KUDOS received
BSchool Forum Moderator
GMAT 1: 740 Q52 V38
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 196 [1] , given: 126

Premium Member
Re: Literally finished an hour ago - unofficial 740!! :D [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2013, 03:14
This post received
KUDOS
lequanftu26 wrote:
Congrats to your score, especially when it is higher than most of your MGMAT and GMATPREP :D.

Btw, your mock CAT scores (MGMAT and GMATPREP) are nearly the same to mine and so the timing of quantitative section is (I got Q50 in GMATPREP 1 and had 12 minutes remaining). Now I'm planning on scheduling the exam in next two weeks.

I can't understand how Kaplan score their CAT :shock:

All the bests come to your application :-D

I don't understand how Kaplan score their CAT either. I think they have some serious issues and bugs with it. I brought it up in the Kaplan forum a few weeks back, but had no response. Their score breakdown (%correct on RC, for example) is just plainly wrong, so that gives me doubts to their actual scoring as well.

My Kaplan scores was actually a big cause for my panic before the exam as well. I felt like I got a false sense of security with all my high scores on Kaplan CATs, but later when I took other CATs and the official GMATPrep, I felt like I got knocked back into reality. Luckily, everything turned out well...

Regarding Quant, if you know you'll have extra time, I suggest spending a bit more time on the first 10 or so questions being extra sure you're not making a dumb mistake. Also probably a good idea to reread the question after you answer it. All of this, of course, if you know you can afford the time. I'm still really weirded out by Quant on the GMAT. I always feel like I get 100% of them correct, but I know from CAT practice, I sometimes get as low as 55% correct.

Anyhow, good luck to you on your exam! :D

My review of some of the CAT practice exams
You can usually find me on gmatclub's chat.

Re: Literally finished an hour ago - unofficial 740!! :D   [#permalink] 10 Oct 2013, 03:14