Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 14:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Little Disappointed ! Took GMAT today Score 600(Q44 V28)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Little Disappointed ! Took GMAT today Score 600(Q44 V28) [#permalink] New post 07 Dec 2004, 15:01
Hello All,

Took GMAT today...got 600 (Q44 V28)...It was my second attempt..got 530(Q38 V 25)attempt...

I am little disappointed with my verbal score.I almost did 10 questions in Verbal in last 1 min. In Quant, I almost did 2 questions in last 1-2 min.
In Quant,the questions were not so difficult as I had thought and as everybody was mentioning.So I thought may be I am not doing well.....and therefore getting easy questions.This feeling kinda sunk in during Verbal...One just cannot predict...how is he/she doing.

I was pretty sure of my verbal as I was doing good in my Practice tests.
Here are my practice test scores :

Peterson CD Test 1 : 670-690
Peterson CD Test 2 : 640-660
Peterson CD Test 3 : 640-660

Kaplan Test 1 : 570
Kaplan Test 2 : 540
Kaplan Test 3 : 530

I could not figure out how come one crack's Verbal..Because in Verbal section my speed is very slow.I was doing like 15th or 16th question in about half the time.....

I was preparing on and off for 1.5 years and did serious preparation for about 1 month.

My weak areas
-- timing -- spend too much on individual question- Maths and Verbal
-- Verbal-- Sentence Correction - Do not know how to get the right answer in timely manner
-- being nervous during the exam....

Any suggestions for improving Verbal and timing in both Verbal and Quant.
Also how much should be the preparation time...From now on how much time would be enough to prepare and crack 700 score....

Also I immensely thank everybody here at the forum for their support and positive attitude.

Thanks !
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

[#permalink] New post 07 Dec 2004, 17:30
Hi,
I had the same problem with my verbal score. I raised my score from 28 to 40. Here are a few things you can do:

1) Use LSAT material fro RC and CR. Do these questions under timed conditions.

2)Divide the Official guide into mini verbal tests. Do all of these questions under timed condtions. Also instead of doing 41 questions in 75 minutes, try to do say 50 questions in 75 minutes.

3) Take the verbal sections of the ETS Paper Tests under timed conditions.

4) Make notes on the SC section of the official guide. Read all the explanations and make notes on them.

5) Make a error log for the SC section. If you don't understand why the question is wrong post it online.

6) For SC make notes and study them regularly.

7) Visit the SC forum on testmagic.com. Read the posts.

8) Practice your timing. Try to answer the RC passages in 8 minutes, CR in 1.3 minutes and the SC in 1.3 minutes.

9) Take full tests (essay section included) regularly to build up your stamina.

I hope this helps. It worked for me. I recognized you increased your math score. Can you tell me some of the things you did.

Take care and good luck!!
Director
Director
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 07 Dec 2004, 18:21
gmat+obsessed let me first congratulate you on your improvemen in both quant and verbal. I am sure you will do even better.

Caribcon, great tips! Thanks.
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 07 Dec 2004, 18:21
Hi caribcon,

Thanks for the detailed reply and "much needed" words of encouragement.

For Maths:

I was weak in DS and so did lot of practice in DS.

a) OG 10th and 9th edition- OG questions are good but GMAT questions are harder than OG.Review Math Notes from OG-They are Good.

b) Identify your weak subject areas - Mine was probability and Statistics.
Used Schaum Series Books for probability and Statistics.Do their questions and examples.They help in understanding the concepts.

c) Also I kinda glanced important formulae from Schaum Series of
-- Geometry -- formula for Similar triangles,equivalent triangles
-- Algebra -- formula for Arithmetic Series,Geometric Series

d) Kaplan GMAT Book has good Math Reference.It has good formula and teaches good tricks for solving questions quickly.

e) Also did lot of GMAT Club questions.The questions posted in this forum are very good.Try to solve them first without reading the thread below and then match your answer.Try to understand the concept behind it.

f) DS - Practice not to solve the questions for the answers.Just ensure that Statement given can be used(or is sufficient enough) to get the answer of the question asked.

g) Try to create "Shortcuts" for solving the questions.

Hope it helps !
Good Luck .. When are you planning to take the test again ?
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 07 Dec 2004, 18:25
Thanks gayathri !
your encouragement sure helps...
  [#permalink] 07 Dec 2004, 18:25