Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Jul 2016, 08:40
GMAT Club Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Loans or not for MBA financing?

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 13 Nov 2013
Posts: 6
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Loans or not for MBA financing? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Dec 2013, 00:41
Is there any situation in which it's worth it to actually take out loans to pay for an MBA if you don't need to? The one situation in which it looked like it would be worth it is if you have a US government subsidized loan where the government pays interest until you graduate, but that seems to require financial need which someone who can pay for their MBA in cash would not be able to demonstrate.

Has anyone here taken out loans even when they have enough money saved to pay for school? If so, why?
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 01 Jul 2013
Posts: 195
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 28 [2] , given: 0

Re: Loans or not for MBA financing? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Dec 2013, 21:34
2
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
It's a simple question of the 'cost' of that money today and tomorrow.

If you have the cash on hand, do you think you can generate a higher-return with that cash than what it would cost you to borrow? Remember that there is a small interest tax deduction on back-end when you are paying it back. Are you relatively risk-averse and prefer having cash on hand?

Treat this no differently than you would any other asset/investment (car loan, etc.)
_________________


Brian Lange | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | North Carolina


Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 06 Mar 2014
Posts: 4
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Loans or not for MBA financing? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Mar 2014, 19:25
I had the same question. I ran into a few articles on TopMBA that helped me a lot. Its too much to try to explain on here but basically you have the option of scholarships, loans and financial aid.
Expert Post
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 01 Jul 2013
Posts: 195
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 0

Re: Loans or not for MBA financing? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Mar 2014, 18:45
Expert's post
Mediatech 6 -- What did you decide to do here? Your journey is one faced by many students -- and I bet that people would appreciate learning about what you decided to do.
Thanks!
-Brian
_________________


Brian Lange | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | North Carolina


Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile

Current Student
avatar
Joined: 30 Jan 2010
Posts: 301
Location: United States
Concentration: Strategy, Economics
Schools: Chicago Booth - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 770 Q V0
WE: Project Management (Real Estate)
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 139 [0], given: 73

Re: Loans or not for MBA financing? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Mar 2014, 10:06
brianlange77 wrote:
It's a simple question of the 'cost' of that money today and tomorrow.

If you have the cash on hand, do you think you can generate a higher-return with that cash than what it would cost you to borrow? Remember that there is a small interest tax deduction on back-end when you are paying it back. Are you relatively risk-averse and prefer having cash on hand?

Treat this no differently than you would any other asset/investment (car loan, etc.)


Pretty reasonable line of thinking.

As a side note, if you have the cash to pay for an MBA, you're part of a very fortunate minority!!?! Why walk away from your successful PE career now? :wink:
Expert Post
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 01 Jul 2013
Posts: 195
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 0

Re: Loans or not for MBA financing? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Mar 2014, 17:42
Expert's post
brandon432 wrote:
brianlange77 wrote:
It's a simple question of the 'cost' of that money today and tomorrow.

If you have the cash on hand, do you think you can generate a higher-return with that cash than what it would cost you to borrow? Remember that there is a small interest tax deduction on back-end when you are paying it back. Are you relatively risk-averse and prefer having cash on hand?

Treat this no differently than you would any other asset/investment (car loan, etc.)


Pretty reasonable line of thinking.

As a side note, if you have the cash to pay for an MBA, you're part of a very fortunate minority!!?! Why walk away from your successful PE career now? :wink:


It's important for people to think about the long-haul. Sometimes, you have to take a step sideways, or even backwards, to get to the ultimate goal. And there is no one.. I repeat.. NO ONE.. who best knows what your ultimate goal is than the guy (or gal) you see in the mirror on a daily basis!
_________________


Brian Lange | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | North Carolina


Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 28 Jul 2013
Posts: 33
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Loans or not for MBA financing? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Apr 2016, 08:55
Loan interest rates with Prodigy Finance are a bit high...Do international students in the UK have any other option?

Regards

M
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
User avatar
Joined: 24 Jan 2016
Posts: 323
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 6

Re: Loans or not for MBA financing? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 May 2016, 23:52
Expert's post
mediatech6 wrote:
Is there any situation in which it's worth it to actually take out loans to pay for an MBA if you don't need to? The one situation in which it looked like it would be worth it is if you have a US government subsidized loan where the government pays interest until you graduate, but that seems to require financial need which someone who can pay for their MBA in cash would not be able to demonstrate.

Has anyone here taken out loans even when they have enough money saved to pay for school? If so, why?


Yes, it could make sense to do so. Evaluating this as the cost of your source of funds could lead to the conclusion that it is a good option to take on a loan for the MBA.

Money is fungible. Thus, the savings you have could go into the business or personal expenditure you would take on in the near future, if the interest and terms on the student loan would be more favorable than that for the business loan/personal loan, then it could make sense to take on the loan.

Another reason would be the preference to maintain a certain level of liquidity throughout, while doing the MBA. This could be as emergency funds, especially if you have dependents, or if you are looking for an investment opportunity.

Look forward to hearing what you did and how you feel about your decision. All the best!
_________________

Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!.

Image

Re: Loans or not for MBA financing?   [#permalink] 19 May 2016, 23:52
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
1 Simon Business School New MBA loans mbastrategycom 0 22 Mar 2016, 06:46
9 Financing MBA is it worth going for 100% loan FAlam 7 23 Feb 2015, 06:37
1 Experts publish their posts in the topic Timing of MBA Loans coolguy314159 3 31 Mar 2014, 19:11
Bank Loan in Italy for 1 Year MBA in Europe Direstrairs 0 23 Aug 2013, 11:25
108 Experts publish their posts in the topic Financing Your MBA aaudetat 358 28 Jan 2007, 17:50
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Loans or not for MBA financing?

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.