Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 05:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Local Vs Big Name School

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Schools: Rice, UH, Texas, Texas A&M
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Local Vs Big Name School [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2009, 16:06
Q: I am looking to stay in Houston after Grad school. Does it really matter if I go to a big name school if the local Universities have a good reputation? {EX Rice, University of Houston, Texas A&M, University of Texas} :wink:
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Schools: Tuck
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 117 [1] , given: 6

Re: Local Vs Big Name School [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2009, 18:37
This post received
KUDOS
It all depends on what you want to do.

If you are looking to stay in the same area, often the local universities are targeted by recruiters for local job. This of course depends heavily on the industry.

If you're looking to get a job that traditionally recruits from top b-schools (banking, consulting, etc), then you won't find many opportunities at a local school (unless you live right next Wharton or something).

RF

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student
Schools: Ross 2012
WE 1: 5 Years at Fortune 50 Company in Manufacturing
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 164 [0], given: 20

Re: Local Vs Big Name School [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2009, 19:25
calical wrote:
Q: I am looking to stay in Houston after Grad school. Does it really matter if I go to a big name school if the local Universities have a good reputation? {EX Rice, University of Houston, Texas A&M, University of Texas} :wink:

I think if you are looking for something locally I don't see any problem with that. But I would watch out in a down economy, many more people from big time programs will be willing to move to houston and might bump you. I am a brand whore.

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 78

Kudos [?]: 701 [0], given: 5

Re: Local Vs Big Name School [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2009, 12:06
Local schools might have more options but the competition for jobs in Houston wont be huge at schools outside Texas. Also the jobs, career paths, and salaries are going to be far better at top tier schools.

Kellogg Class of 2010...still active and willing to help. However, I do not do profile reviews, don't offer predictions on chances and am far to busy to review essays, so save the energy of writing me a PM seeking help for these. If I don't respond to a PM that is not one of the previously mentioned trash can destined messages, please don't take it personally I get so many messages I have a hard to responding to most. The more interesting, compelling, or humorous you message the more likely I am to respond.

Manager
Manager
Schools: Haas, Booth, Kellogg, Stanford
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 3

Re: Local Vs Big Name School [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2009, 17:47
I am under the belief that you should attend the best business school you can get into as nothing is certain in the future and you wouldn't want something you are only to invest a lot of time/energy/money into to have any negative effects.

Death is not the greatest loss in life. The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live.
- Norman Cousins

1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Schools: Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Followers: 73

Kudos [?]: 688 [1] , given: 548

Reviews Badge
Re: Local Vs Big Name School [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2009, 18:08
This post received
KUDOS
One thing to remember is to do a thorough research if you choose to attend a local MBA program (not ranked in Top 25-ish). Many people make the mistake of choosing a less known local MBA program because of its undergraduate or overall reputation (but little to none in graduate bschool reputation). In some cases, many of these schools try to leverage its overall reputation and try to attract students. But students (especially FT students) blindly choose to attend these schools and realize after that the school lacks dedicated core recruiters, services, and etc for its graduate business program.

Manager
Manager
Schools: Darden, Duke, Booth, Texas, Georgetown
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: Local Vs Big Name School [#permalink] New post 10 Mar 2010, 19:52
What do you guys think of the Rice MBA? It is ranked very low, but looking at their employment sheet..they do send 8-10 kids in IB every year out of a class of 125.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Local Vs Big Name School [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2010, 20:41
Hi

I would suggest also consider an MBA from Skyline Business School which has been ranked 9th in North India by Outlook Careers 360.

Rental Commercial Property USA
china mdf
Buy Rent Property Dubai

Re: Local Vs Big Name School   [#permalink] 15 Mar 2010, 20:41