Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 20:47 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 20:47

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date

If you had to choose between schools outside the top 20, would you prefer location to ranking?

You may select 1 option
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 87 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Vantage Point Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: Vantage Point MBA Admissions Consulting
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [1]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Re: Location vs Ranking [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
YetAnotherMBA2018 wrote:
If you are choosing a school that is out of the top 20 league, does it make sense to choose rank over location?
I have already considered post MBA salaries, alumni strength, where I want to live, education debt, industry I want to work in, etc.
Location has the advantage of better networking possibilities and indulging in a wide variety of activities.
A higher ranked school will have a better career services department and better brand value.

Well, rather than thinking on terms of "absolute rankings" which is nonsense, I think it's better to think in terms of tiers - so you have HSB/Stanford as the top tier, and then the other M7 schools, and then tier two, etc. etc. Once you are considering within a tier, then you should be also thinking about location, but it wouldn't be advisable to go to a lower tier (other than some cases) for location.

That having been said, it's important to keep in mind that once you get out of Top 20, schools tend to place much more regionally, so depending on your industry, there can be a real advantage of choosing a school with the right region as their placements in your industry will be better.

Hope this helps!
Jon
Personal MBA Coach Founder
Status:Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting from a Wharton graduate - Helping applicants get into top global business schools since 2008
Affiliations: Wharton, MIT
Own Kudos [?]: 359 [1]
Given Kudos: 11
Overall Client Admit Rate: 96%
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
YetAnotherMBA2018 wrote:
If you are choosing a school that is out of the top 20 league, does it make sense to choose rank over location?
I have already considered post MBA salaries, alumni strength, where I want to live, education debt, industry I want to work in, etc.
Location has the advantage of better networking possibilities and indulging in a wide variety of activities.
A higher ranked school will have a better career services department and better brand value.

This really depends on what you want to do with your career. I would want to see how different the rankings are and what schools you are specifically referring to. Location is pretty important though because a lot of recruiting is local.

Without having all of the info, I would pick location over a *small* change in rank. Of course there is a point where the rank would win, but it would usually be for a significant difference in ranking.

Good luck!

Best,
Scott
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks all you guys. I want to work in consumer tech companies and mostly these jobs will be on the west coast. I am an international student and that is another factor to consider. On one hand I have Carlson and Notre Dame (net overall cost after scholarship at both will be around 100K) and on the other hand I have Babson (net overall cost will be around 75k). So there's a huge difference in rankings. Else I would have blindly chosen Babson. The reason I applied to Babson was because of its focus on entrepreneurship, which fits my profile very well. Hope this information is helpful in answering the question better. Once again, thanks a ton folks!

Posted from my mobile device
MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Own Kudos [?]: 1424 [1]
Given Kudos: 570
Farrell Nelson: MBA
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
If you are certain about wanting to work in consumer tech, work backwards from your ideal post-MBA job. I think it's so dumb that people sit around guessing what they should do when you can speak directly to the recruiters you will be hoping to impress. Work your Linked In connections or cold-contact MBA recruiters at your companies of interest to set up 30-minute phone appointments. Not only will you get an answer to your question, but also be laying some important groundwork, under the guise of doing informational interviews. This works remarkably well, my applicants are always skeptical at first but pleasantly surprised to receive warm responses. Living near SF, my estimation is that Notre Dame has the expansive alumni reach you will need. But find out for yourself. It's a big investment and appropriate (and intelligent) that you do some research before signing on the very expensive line.
Best,
Farrell
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks Farrell. I actually haven't tried contacting the recruiters but I have tried to look up the job postings on their websites. If an MBA is required for certain positions, it is only mentioned as a minimum requirement. That doesn't actually tell me if I should go to a higher ranked institution. I am gonna try to get in touch with the recruiters to hear their perspective. I was just thinking about how you open up that channel of communication without potentially affecting your chances with these companies later on. Like your applicants, I too am a bit skeptical at this stage. Any suggestions?

Own Kudos [?]: 1424 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi, yes, you need to get in touch with the recruiters. Often, their contact information is public on the internet. Being a little clever helps - get the name and then drop "email" in to the search. You might run across their email from a trade association. But the best bet is to locate them on Linked In and add them or get introduced. What do you mean by "affecting your chances?" - think about it - wouldn't you want to hire the assertive, forward-thinking candidate or the one who crosses their fingers and hopes for the best? You are standing out in a positive way by trying to gather the information you need for a life-changing decision. You are doing nothing wrong here, if nothing else pans out, call HR and ask for the MBA Recruiter. They are looking for you as you are looking for them. JFDI. You know what that stands for.
Can't wait to hear how you make out. I can help you draft an email if that would help you proceed with more confidence.

YetAnotherMBA2018 wrote:
Thanks Farrell. I actually haven't tried contacting the recruiters but I have tried to look up the job postings on their websites. If an MBA is required for certain positions, it is only mentioned as a minimum requirement. That doesn't actually tell me if I should go to a higher ranked institution. I am gonna try to get in touch with the recruiters to hear their perspective. I was just thinking about how you open up that channel of communication without potentially affecting your chances with these companies later on. Like your applicants, I too am a bit skeptical at this stage. Any suggestions?

Intern
Intern
Send PM
What I meant by affecting my chances was that I don't want to come across as unfledged or not ready for the job when I make my first impression with the recruiters. However, I will follow your "JFDI" advice seriously.
Send PM
Expert Reply
:) Glad you're committed! I don't see any concern about appearing unfledged (new word for me - thx!) because this is how you will be learning. I really see no fear about that. Tell them what you know and don't know. The truth is, everyone would rather hire someone who takes the initiative to get answers than some puffed-up person who feels they have to be the "expert" and uses that as a reason not to engage. You will be surprised - people are warm to helping someone who is reaching out for their expertise! Just like me, right? ;)

Thanks for the kudos!

YetAnotherMBA2018 wrote:
What I meant by affecting my chances was that I don't want to come across as unfledged or not ready for the job when I make my first impression with the recruiters. However, I will follow your "JFDI" advice seriously.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
You've been really helpful and your "JFDI" was a great boost for me :p