Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Jul 2014, 20:15

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Lockeport's commercial fishing boats use gill nets, which

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 237 [1] , given: 20

GMAT Tests User
Lockeport's commercial fishing boats use gill nets, which [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2012, 12:55
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

58% (02:54) correct 42% (01:42) wrong based on 57 sessions
Lockeport's commercial fishing boats use gill nets, which kill many of the netted fish, including some fish of endangered species. The fishing commission has proposed requiring the use of tent nets, which do not kill fish; boat crews would then throw back fish of endangered species. Profitable commercial fishing boats in similar areas have already switched over to tent nets. The proposal can therefore be implemented without economic harm to Lockeport's commercial fishing boat operators.

Which of the following, if true, casts the most serious doubt on the argument made for the proposal?

A. In places where the use of tent nets has been mandated, there are typically fewer commercial fishing boats in operation than there were before tent nets came into use.
B. Even when used properly, gill nets require many more repairs than do tent nets.
C. Recreational anglers in Lockeport catch more fish of endangered species than do commercial fishing boats.
D. The endangered species of fish in Lockeport's commercial fishing area did not become endangered as a result of the use of gill nets by fishing fleets.
E. The endangered species of fish caught by Lockeport's commercial fishing fleet are of no commercial value.

pls explain ur choice
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

KUDOS me if you feel my contribution has helped you.

Intern
Intern
Schools: Tuck '16 (M)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 1

Re: fishing boats [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2012, 13:20
gmatbull wrote:
Lockeport's commercial fishing boats use gill nets, which kill many of the netted fish, including some fish of endangered species. The fishing commission has proposed requiring the use of tent nets, which do not kill fish; boat crews would then throw back fish of endangered species. Profitable commercial fishing boats in similar areas have already switched over to tent nets. The proposal can therefore be implemented without economic harm to Lockeport's commercial fishing boat operators.

Which of the following, if true, casts the most serious doubt on the argument made for the proposal?

so, we should weaken the conclusion that is: "The proposal can therefore be implemented without economic harm to Lockeport's commercial fishing boat operators".

CorrectA. In places where the use of tent nets has been mandated, there are typically fewer commercial fishing boats in operation than there were before tent nets came into use.
B. Even when used properly, gill nets require many more repairs than do tent nets.This would strenghten the conclusion
C. Recreational anglers in Lockeport catch more fish of endangered species than do commercial fishing boats.Out of scope, the argument do not talk about recreational anglers, and it do not weakens the conclusion
D. The endangered species of fish in Lockeport's commercial fishing area did not become endangered as a result of the use of gill nets by fishing fleets.out of scope, the conclusion do not talk about endagered species
E. The endangered species of fish caught by Lockeport's commercial fishing fleet are of no commercial value. out of scope, the conclusion do not talk about endagered species

pls explain ur choice

So I think the answer is A, by POE
I would say that is because the answer says: "there are typically fewer commercial fishing boats in operation" if it says that there are FEWER than in the past I can assume that many of the boats had troubles switchding to tent nets and could have economic harm
Director
Director
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 237 [0], given: 20

GMAT Tests User
Re: fishing boats [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2012, 14:57
i think another way of describing option A is to say that fish boat operators virtually disappeared
when the new policy was introduced. So, if the operators withdraw their boats, we can easily infer
that the tent nets policy is far from being business friendly.

KUDOS me if you feel my contribution has helped you.

Intern
Intern
Schools: Tuck '16 (M)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 1

Re: fishing boats [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2012, 15:26
gmatbull wrote:
i think another way of describing option A is to say that fish boat operators virtually disappeared
when the new policy was introduced. So, if the operators withdraw their boats, we can easily infer
that the tent nets policy is far from being business friendly.

It is exactly what I said before
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V32
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: fishing boats [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2012, 19:48
Conclusion: (Marker = Therefore) Proposal (to use tent nets)can be implemented without economic harm.
Premise: Commercial fishing boats in similar areas have switched.
Weakness:

A: Ooooh.. weakens.
B: We are moving away from gill nets, remember? NO
C: Who cares
D: Who cares
E: Who cares

Look at A again:
Initially number was say 100
after the proposal the number is 50.
Has this caused economic harm? Possibly. Why else have the operators numbers gone down? They had a lot of profit so they went down???
It creates a doubt as to why the number went down. The number of boat operators is part of the argument and definitely within the scope of the argument.
Re: fishing boats   [#permalink] 21 Oct 2012, 19:48