Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 06:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Lofgren's disease has been observed frequently in

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Lofgren's disease has been observed frequently in [#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2006, 19:24
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

100% (02:06) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 1 sessions
Lofgren's disease has been observed frequently in commercially raised cattle but very rarely in chickens. Both cattle and chickens raised for meat are often fed the type of feed that transmits the virus that causes the disease. Animals infected with the virus take more than a year to develop symptoms of Lofgren's disease, however, and chickens commercially raised for meat, unlike cattle, are generally brought to market during their first year of life.

Which of the following is most strongly supported by the information provided?

A: The virus that causes Lofgren's disease cannot be transmitted to human beings by chickens.
B: There is no way to determine whether a chicken is infected with the Lofgren's disease virus before the chicken shows symptoms of the disease.
C: A failure to observe Lofgren's disease in commercial chicken populations is not good evidence that chickens are immune to the virus that causes this disease.
D: An animal that has been infected with the virus that causes Lofgren's disease but that has not developed symptoms cannot transmit the disease to an uninfected animal of the same species.
E: The feed that chickens and cattle are fed is probably not the only source of the virus that causes Lofgren's disease.

Any opinons? I will let you all know my answer after the discussion.

Last edited by gottodoit on 10 Apr 2006, 17:25, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2006, 19:57
C ?
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2006, 20:00
Its undoubtedly C
Manager
Manager

Re: CR:Lofgren's disease [#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2006, 20:54
gottodoit wrote:
Lofgren's disease has been observed frequently in commercially raised cattle but very rarely in chickens. Both cattle and chickens raised for meat are often fed the type of feed that transmits the virus that causes the disease. Animals infected with the virus take more than a year to develop symptoms of Lofgren's disease, however, and chickens commercially raised for meat, unlike cattle, are generally brought to market during their first year of life.
A: The virus that causes Lofgren's disease cannot be transmitted to human beings by chickens.
B: There is no way to determine whether a chicken is infected with the Lofgren's disease virus before the chicken shows symptoms of the disease.
C: A failure to observe Lofgren's disease in commercial chicken populations is not good evidence that chickens are immune to the virus that causes this disease.
D: An animal that has been infected with the virus that causes Lofgren's disease but that has not developed symptoms cannot transmit the disease to an uninfected animal of the same species.
E: The feed that chickens and cattle are fed is probably not the only source of the virus that causes Lofgren's disease.

Any opinons? I will let you all know my answer after the discussion.

A: way off the topic
B: a generic statement
D: assumed ( not stated in passage)
E: assumed again
C: Supported

Ans: C
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2006, 21:16
Agree with C

IE IMBA 2010

VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2006, 23:37
one more for C.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 10 Apr 2006, 00:08
C it is
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 10 Apr 2006, 09:41
Not sure but 'C'.
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 10 Apr 2006, 14:59
Great! All C.

:P

Anyway there is no OA.

I think it's B.

My reasoning:

=> Why the disease is rarely observed in chicken because chickens are killed before (1 year) they (majority) show any symptoms. If we had some way to determine that the chickens are infected without knowing the symptoms, then the chances are that the cattle and chickens are equally infected by this disease.

C: A failure to observe Lofgren's disease in commercial chicken populations is not good evidence that chickens are immune (safe) to the virus that causes this disease.

=> why C may not be correct (I think) because, nowhere in the passage mentioned that the chickens are IMMUNE TO the virus. It's clearly mentioned that the disease is rarely observed, that means they are not really immune to this disease.

Please correct me if I am wrong somewhere.
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 10 Apr 2006, 15:33
I bet of C!!

Whats the OA?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 10 Apr 2006, 17:26
I go for C too.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 10 Apr 2006, 17:37
I go for B
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 10 Apr 2006, 20:33
C for me.

VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 13 Apr 2006, 03:40
gottodoit wrote:
Great! All C.

:P

Anyway there is no OA.

I think it's B.

My reasoning:

=> Why the disease is rarely observed in chicken because chickens are killed before (1 year) they (majority) show any symptoms. If we had some way to determine that the chickens are infected without knowing the symptoms, then the chances are that the cattle and chickens are equally infected by this disease.

C: A failure to observe Lofgren's disease in commercial chicken populations is not good evidence that chickens are immune (safe) to the virus that causes this disease.

=> why C may not be correct (I think) because, nowhere in the passage mentioned that the chickens are IMMUNE TO the virus. It's clearly mentioned that the disease is rarely observed, that means they are not really immune to this disease.

Please correct me if I am wrong somewhere.

B is a sweeping generalization. C stnads out IMO
Intern
Intern

I prefer B [#permalink] New post 13 Apr 2006, 09:31
I agree with gottodoit for the answer - B.

Explanation: In the passage, the author didn't mention anything that leads to the conclusion that chickens are immune to the virus. However, the author did mention that the disease is rare in chicken. So, this choice looks to me out of scope.

Explanation: Since the chickens are generally brought to the market during their first year of life and it takes one year to develop symptoms of Lofgren's disease in any animal (that includes chicken too), so there is no way to determine whether those chickens are infected with the disease, at least with the information that is available to us to analyze.

Argument:
"Lofgren's disease has been observed frequently in commercially raised cattle but very rarely in chickens. Both cattle and chickens raised for meat are often fed the type of feed that transmits the virus that causes the disease. Animals infected with the virus take more than a year to develop symptoms of Lofgren's disease, however, and chickens commercially raised for meat, unlike cattle, are generally brought to market during their first year of life. "
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 13 Apr 2006, 09:37
Good discussion folks.

My bet on "B"
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 13 Apr 2006, 11:49
My answer is 'B'.

C is out of scope, according to me.
VP
VP

GMAT Tests User
Re: I prefer B [#permalink] New post 13 Apr 2006, 14:48
vw01 wrote:

Explanation: In the passage, the author didn't mention anything that leads to the conclusion that chickens are immune to the virus. However, the author did mention that the disease is rare in chicken. So, this choice looks to me out of scope.

Explanation: Since the chickens are generally brought to the market during their first year of life and it takes one year to develop symptoms of Lofgren's disease in any animal (that includes chicken too), so there is no way to determine whether those chickens are infected with the disease, at least with the information that is available to us to analyze.

Argument:
"Lofgren's disease has been observed frequently in commercially raised cattle but very rarely in chickens. Both cattle and chickens raised for meat are often fed the type of feed that transmits the virus that causes the disease. Animals infected with the virus take more than a year to develop symptoms of Lofgren's disease, however, and chickens commercially raised for meat, unlike cattle, are generally brought to market during their first year of life. "

I chose C because in B the bolded portion is contradictory

B says there is no way but the stem says "very rarely" . So B is a sweeping generalization

Lofgren's disease has been observed frequently in commercially raised cattle but very rarely in chickens
Intern
Intern

Re: I prefer B [#permalink] New post 13 Apr 2006, 15:04
trivikram wrote:
vw01 wrote:

Argument:

B says there is no way but the stem says "very rarely" . So B is a sweeping generalization

Lofgren's disease has been observed frequently in commercially raised cattle but very rarely in chickens

Stem says disease observed very rarely because "chichens are generally brought to market during their first year of life" so it's very rare that they are kept beyond the first year of their life. There is nothing wrong in B.

Had they been kept alive for more than one year (like Cows), chickens would have shown the symptom "very frequently".

Any comments!

Still I don't see any convincing point to discard B. I think my comments about C are enough to discard it!
VP
VP

GMAT Tests User
Re: I prefer B [#permalink] New post 13 Apr 2006, 15:12
gottodoit wrote:
trivikram wrote:
vw01 wrote:

Argument:

Stem says disease observed very rarely because "chichens are generally brought to market during their first year of life" so it's very rare that they are kept beyond the first year of their life. There is nothing wrong in B.

Had they been kept alive for more than one year (like Cows), chickens would have shown the symptom "very frequently".

Any comments!

Still I don't see any convincing point to discard B. I think my comments about C are enough to discard it!

Good point gottodoit.

But consider this

however, and chickens commercially raised for meat, unlike cattle, are generally brought to market during their first year of life

There is no gurantee that all the chicken are brought before the first year

Where as B states

"There is no way to determine whether a chicken is infected with the Lofgren's disease virus before the chicken shows symptoms of the disease. "
which is not right 'cos it is too generic.

Truly appreciate you for a very good question though
Re: I prefer B   [#permalink] 13 Apr 2006, 15:12