Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Apr 2014, 12:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Loggerhead turtles live and breed in distinct groups, of

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Current Student
Affiliations: SAE
Concentration: Strategy, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.5
WE: Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 29

Kudos [?]: 118 [0], given: 264

Loggerhead turtles live and breed in distinct groups, of [#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2012, 22:16
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

61% (02:48) correct 38% (02:18) wrong based on 68 sessions
Loggerhead turtles live and breed in distinct groups, of which some are in the Pacific Ocean and some are in the Atlantic. New evidence suggests that juvenile pacific loggerheads that feed near the Baja peninsula hatch in Japanese waters 10,000 kilometers away. Ninety-five percent of the DNA samples taken from the Baja turtles match those taken from turtles at the Japanese nesting sites.
Which one of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the reasoning above?
(A) Nesting sites of loggerhead turtles have been found off the Pacific coast of North America several thousand kilometers north of the Baja peninsula.
(B) The distance between nesting sites and feeding sites of Atlantic loggerhead turtles is less than 5,000 kilometers.
(C) Loggerhead hatchlings in Japanese waters have been declining in number for the last decade while the number of nesting sites near the Baja peninsula had remained constant.
(D) Ninety-five percent of the DNA samples taken from the Baja turtles match those taken from Atlantic loggerhead turtles.
(E) Commercial aquariums have been successfully breeding Atlantic loggerheads with Pacific loggerheads fro the last five years.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

First Attempt 710 - first-attempt-141273.html

Last edited by getgyan on 23 Sep 2012, 19:31, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT Date: 04-21-2013
GPA: 4
WE: Information Technology (Internet and New Media)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 8

Re: Loggerhead turtles live and breed in distinct [#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2012, 13:54
We have to weaken the conclusion "Loggerhead turtles live and breed in distinct groups"
and Choice e does it perfectly.

KPV

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Affiliations: SAE
Concentration: Strategy, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.5
WE: Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 29

Kudos [?]: 118 [1] , given: 264

Re: Loggerhead turtles live and breed in distinct [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2012, 19:30
This post received
KUDOS
+1D

It is weaken type question

Premise 1 - Loggerhead turtles live and breed in distinct groups, of which some are in the Pacific Ocean and some are in the Atlantic
Premise 2 - Ninety-five percent of the DNA samples taken from the Baja turtles match those taken from turtles at the Japanese nesting sites

Conclusion - New evidence suggests that juvenile pacific loggerheads that feed near the Baja peninsula hatch in Japanese waters 10,000 kilometers away

Any options which weakens the conclusion is our answer

(D) Ninety-five percent of the DNA samples taken from the Baja turtles match those taken from Atlantic loggerhead turtles. (This options weakens the conclusion by suggesting that the turtles which hatch in Japanese water could be Atlantic loggerhead turtles, thus weakening the conclusion that pacific loggerheads feed near Baja and hatch near Japan)

:-D

First Attempt 710 - first-attempt-141273.html

Director
Director
Followers: 111

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Loggerhead turtles live and breed in distinct groups, of [#permalink] New post 28 Nov 2013, 20:38
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Manager
Manager
WE: Information Technology (Telecommunications)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 14

Re: Loggerhead turtles live and breed in distinct groups, of [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2013, 02:56
Can you explain why other choices are eliminated?

+1 KUDOS is the best way to say thanks :-)

Re: Loggerhead turtles live and breed in distinct groups, of   [#permalink] 29 Nov 2013, 02:56