Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 13:42 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 13:42

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Poor Qualityx      
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [7]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619010 [2]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [1]
 Q49  V50
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [1]
Send PM
Re: David wrote each of the integers 1 through 20, inclusive, on a separat [#permalink]
Kudos
Thanks TheDoberman !!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [0]
Send PM
Re: David wrote each of the integers 1 through 20, inclusive, on a separat [#permalink]
Quote:
For every answer less than 12, you can come up with ways to end up with an Odd sum from that many cards. For every answer more than 12, you'll have already reached an Even sum so they'll be no need to keep going.

What is chance that all cards he draws is even only? In that case why cant he draw 10 even and still ahve sum even? This is where I am confused?
My answer was since he can draw 10 even or odd cards that gives an even sum 10 is answer!

Can you give a scenario as you quoted above of answer less than 12 will end up odd...perhaps that will clarify things a bit.

Thanks in advance.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Kudos
The question rephrased should be what is the most cards that he could draw before it has to sum to an even number;

In 1-20 there are ten odds and ten evens. Thus the most cards you could draw would be if the first sum is odd and then you keep adding evens until you run out then add an odd number.

odd+even+even+even+even+even+even+even+even+even+even+even=even; actual numbers
1+2+4+6+8+10+12+14+16+18+20+3=114 or
3+2+4+6+8+10+12+14+16+18+20+1=114 or other combinations of 2 odds.

It would take 12 terms.

Thanks,

Jared
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [1]
 Q49  V50
Send PM
Kudos
Not a problem.

You are right in that drawing 10 Even cards gives you an even sum, as does 10 Odds. But what about if he draws the following 10 cards:

1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10: The total is 55 (Odd sum = bad).

Another group of 10 cards:

1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 11: The total is 56 (Even sum = good).

Looking at this as a permutation problem will just drive you crazy - far too many options and I'm not sure it can get you the answer.

The way I read the question, the key word is "ensure" and I assume that he stops when he reaches an even sum - the wording isn't great. Based on the logic of my first post, there is no way you can draw 12 cards and not have achieved an Even sum at somepoint along the way (the worst case being that it happens on the 12th card). Note that you can draw 12 cards and get an odd sum (like 1,3,5,2,4,6,8,10,12,14,16,18 = 99) but along the way he'd gotten his even sum and stopped (1,3 = 4).

Did that help?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
TheDoberman wrote:
Not a problem.

You are right in that drawing 10 Even cards gives you an even sum, as does 10 Odds. But what about if he draws the following 10 cards:

1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10: The total is 55 (Odd sum = bad).

Another group of 10 cards:

1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 11: The total is 56 (Even sum = good).

Looking at this as a permutation problem will just drive you crazy - far too many options and I'm not sure it can get you the answer.

The way I read the question, the key word is "ensure" and I assume that he stops when he reaches an even sum - the wording isn't great. Based on the logic of my first post, there is no way you can draw 12 cards and not have achieved an Even sum at somepoint along the way (the worst case being that it happens on the 12th card). Note that you can draw 12 cards and get an odd sum (like 1,3,5,2,4,6,8,10,12,14,16,18 = 99) but along the way he'd gotten his even sum and stopped (1,3 = 4).

Did that help?

I'm not sure if your responding to my post, but I figured I would explain my reasoning. Again in this problem we want to know when he will know for sure when he will have an even number. We have to figure out the maximum amount of cards he could draw before he would have to draw an even amount. As my post described above, it would require that he the first card he draws is odd then, if he draws all the even cards subsequently the sum will always be odd. After you have exhausted your supply of 10 even cards the only thing you have left to draw would be an odd. Any odd plus and odd would be equal to even. 1+10+1=12, thus, this tells us that he can safely conclude that at 12 cards he will have drawn an even sum.

You really only need the properties of odd+odd, even+even, and odd+even to figure out this problem. You only need logic. If you are doing any permutations or combinations you are doing too much work.

You are correct in saying that it is impossible to draw 12 and not get an even, but 12 is the point at which you can be certain that you will draw an even sum. If you consider 11, the following possibility exists;

1+2+4+6+8+10+12+14+16+18+20=111 and that is 11 terms that sum to an odd. Any odd could work in place of the 1.

I hope this helps clarify my reasoning.

Thanks,

Jared
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [0]
Send PM
Thanks guys! Great clarification...got it now...wording isn't great as you said in the question.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Hrmm... good question. I was also confused with the wording. I wasn't aware that he stops once he reaches an even sum. (because you can basically reach an odd sum with any combination of numbers, ie 7 Odds + 5 Evens gets you an odd)

Makes sense now, thanks for the clarification guys.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 588 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Please respond...
Can this be a valid question??? It is told RANDOMLY in the answer.... picking up all even card is absolutely not random.... I am not sure if this is a valid question
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [0]
Send PM
amitjash wrote:
Please respond...
Can this be a valid question??? It is told RANDOMLY in the answer.... picking up all even card is absolutely not random.... I am not sure if this is a valid question

It is possible to randomly pick all the evens in a row. I may not be likely, but it is possible.

Thanks,

Jared
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Concentration: Industrial, Marketing, Operations, Strategy
Schools:S3 Asia MBA (Fudan University, Korea University, National University of Singapore)
 Q49  V44
WE 1: Market Research
WE 2: Consulting
WE 3: Iron & Steel Retail/Trading
Send PM
Jerome wrote each of the integers 1 through 20, inclusive, on a separate index card. He placed the cards in a box, then drew one card at a time randomly from the box, without replacing the cards he had already drawn. In order to ensure that the sum of all the cards he drew was even, how many cards did Jerome have to draw?

A. 19
B. 12
C. 13
D. 10
E. 3

Originally posted by rishabhsingla on 02 Sep 2010, 03:50.
Last edited by rishabhsingla on 05 Oct 2010, 10:50, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: IIT Madras
Own Kudos [?]: 1246 [0]
Given Kudos: 104
 Q49  V34 GMAT 2: 720  Q50  V37
WE 1: 2+ years - Programming
WE 2: 3+ years - Product developement,
WE 3: 2+ years - Program management
Send PM
Bunuel,

12 is correct. And that is the max draws you need to definitely know that the sum of drawn cards is even.
Say the first card you draw is Even... then
E..O...O = Even sum
E...E = Even sum
E...O..E...E...E..E....9 more E cards....O....(12th card) has to odd... sum is even..

Say the first card is odd..
O...O = even
O...E..E...10 more E cards max..O... = even

I can't understand how you say 20 is the answer. Definitely before the draw of 20 cards you will have a sum which is even.

I know you said you don't care about the question ..but just academically..what do you say?

Thanks.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619010 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
hemanthp wrote:
Bunuel,

12 is correct. And that is the max draws you need to definitely know that the sum of drawn cards is even.
E..O...O = Even sum
E...E = Even sum
E...O..E...E...E..E....9 more E cards....O....(12th card) has to odd... sum is even..

O...O = even

I can't understand how you say 20 is the answer. Definitely before the draw of 20 cards you will have a sum which is even.

I know you said you don't care about the question ..but just academically..what do you say?

Thanks.

Please read my solution above.

The answer depends on the interpretation of the question. If you interpret it as at which drawing the sum will definitely be even then 12 is wrong, as for example you can draw 7 even numbers and 5 odd numbers so after 12 drawings you will have an odd sum. So if it is the question then the only # of drawings that will guarantee an even sum is 20, because for every other # of drawings you could have either an even or odd sum.

Again not a good question.
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: IIT Madras
Own Kudos [?]: 1246 [0]
Given Kudos: 104
 Q49  V34 GMAT 2: 720  Q50  V37
WE 1: 2+ years - Programming
WE 2: 3+ years - Product developement,
WE 3: 2+ years - Program management
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
hemanthp wrote:
Bunuel,

E..O...O = Even sum
E...E = Even sum

O...O = even

Thanks.

Please read my solution above.

The answer depends on the interpretation of the question. If you interpret it as at which drawing the sum will definitely be even then 12 is wrong, as for example you can draw 7 even numbers and 5 odd numbers so after 12 drawings you will have an odd sum. So if it is the question then the only # of drawings that will guarantee an even sum is 20, because for every other # of drawings you could have either an even or odd sum.

Again not a good question.

If you draw 7 even numbers and 5 odd numbers you will have an even sum much before 12 cards. Do you see that? Anyway..time to move on!
Math Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
hemanthp wrote:
If you draw 7 even numbers and 5 odd numbers you will have an even sum much before 12 cards. Do you see that? Anyway..time to move on!

I don't understand what you mean by that.

But again: the question allows 2 interpretations, one gives the answer 12 and another gives the answer 20. There is no reason to believe that 1st one is better than the 2nd one. That is why this is a bad question.

You'll never see such an ambiguous question on GMAT.

Hope it's clear.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
After being confused for a while, the solution seems clear to me.

The answer is B - 12
Keeping in mind that Jerome can stop in the middle when ever he has the sum as even .

Consider he starts with even , he stops . He has the sum as even .
Consider he starts with ODD, he can not stop. At this point, he either has the bad luck of drawing all even numbers there of . He would now draw the 12th card , which would be ODD ,

O+(EVEN Series)+O = E .

Do note, IMO the question should not have been "how many cards did Jerome have to draw" but rather should be "how many maximum number of cards might Jerome have to draw" .
:shock: :shock:
Math Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
adisinha2000 wrote:
After being confused for a while, the solution seems clear to me.

The answer is B - 12
Keeping in mind that Jerome can stop in the middle when ever he has the sum as even .

Consider he starts with even , he stops . He has the sum as even .
Consider he starts with ODD, he can not stop. At this point, he either has the bad luck of drawing all even numbers there of . He would now draw the 12th card , which would be ODD ,

O+(EVEN Series)+O = E .

Do note, IMO the question should not have been "how many cards did Jerome have to draw" but rather should be "how many maximum number of cards might Jerome have to draw" .
:shock: :shock:

Jerome wrote each of the integers 1 through 20, inclusive, on a separate index card. He placed the cards in a box, then drew one card at a time randomly from the box, without replacing the cards he had already drawn. In order to ensure that the sum of all the cards he drew was even, how many cards did Jerome have to draw?

A. 19
B. 12
C. 13
D. 10
E. 3

This is not a good question. The answer depends on how you interpret it.

The given solution suggests that they meant the maximum number of picks needed to ensure that on the way you had an even sum. In this case worst case scenario would be to draw odd number first, and then keep drawing all 10 even numbers. After 11 draws you'd still have an odd sum and need to draw 12th card, which will be an odd to get the even sum.

But if you interpret it as at which drawing the sum will definitely be even then the answer would be 20. As only on 20th draw I can say for sure that the sum is even.

I wouldn't worry about this question at all.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 822 [0]
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

This Question is Locked Due to Poor Quality
Hi there,
The question you've reached has been archived due to not meeting our community quality standards. No more replies are possible here.
Looking for better-quality questions? Check out the 'Similar Questions' block below for a list of similar but high-quality questions.
Want to join other relevant Problem Solving discussions? Visit our Problem Solving (PS) Forum for the most recent and top-quality discussions.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92915 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts