Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 07:32

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Lon Biz School vs. NYU Stern for investment mgmt - help!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

London Business School or NYU Stern?

• 70% [24]
  • 29% [10]
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Schools: Wharton, LBS, Stanford, MIT, NYU, Columbia
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Lon Biz School vs. NYU Stern for investment mgmt - help! [#permalink] New post 21 Jan 2009, 16:11
Hello all, long time reader and rare poster here....

I am in the enviable but difficult position of deciding between NYU Stern and London Business School next fall. I am having a very tough time deciding and thought I would get the board's thoughts.

I am a investment banker for emerging markets looking to make a career change into investment management - specifically into local bond markets within developing countries.

Job opportunities:
While NYU is obviously a top 10 name in finance, it seems to me that it is overshadowed a touch by Columbia for asset mgmt. Thoughts? LBS, by comparison, has no competition for the many AM jobs in London. Anyone know how london AUM stacks up vs. NYC ? Both have great access to the top recruiters in their city.

Financially:
LBS is a relative bargain, at around 32k USD a year. I believe NYU is around 45k USD a year. I would take out loans in the country of study, and then work there after, so no cross currency risk.

Classes:
NYU offers a deep roster of finance electives and well-known professors, whereas LBS has somewhat fewer classes and less superstar profs. LBS offers access to its Masters in Finance classes, which is nice.

Thoughts? LBS occupies a grey area, as it is sometimes is compared to the bottom end of M7 in US, but there is not a consensus. I'm particularly interested in the opinions of anyone working in AM now.

Apologies as this is somewhat incomplete, but I am typing it out on the mobile! Will edit and make it a little more comprehensive later tonight....

Last edited by AdamH83 on 21 Jan 2009, 22:21, edited 1 time in total.
Director
Director
Schools: Kellogg '10
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 87 [0], given: 15

Re: Lon Biz School vs. NYU Stern for investment mgmt - help! [#permalink] New post 21 Jan 2009, 17:23
Generally LBS seems to have a better or at least equal reputation than NYU. Additionally, I would think that for developing country investment management an LBS MBA would leave you much better positioned for recruiting opportunities. I'm not sure why I say that, other than London seems to have a more international perspective to it, while New York is more US-centric (full disclosure: New York is my favorite city in the world and I lived there for 8 years).

http://www.fantasticcontraption.com

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Ross, Kellogg, Darden (i/v)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Re: Lon Biz School vs. NYU Stern for investment mgmt - help! [#permalink] New post 22 Jan 2009, 08:48
Isn't your decision as simple as deciding b/w NY and London?
If it is outside of US and UK, I would say LBS has a much better repute.
Intern
Intern

Re: Lon Biz School vs. NYU Stern for investment mgmt - help! [#permalink] New post 22 Jan 2009, 14:51
Unfortunately I don't really have a preference between NYC and London. Have lived in both, worked in finance in both.

For that reason, I'm primarily trying to gauge job opportunities afterward. Seems like there is just as much AUM in london as there is in NYC, and relatively little competition from other business schools...
VP
VP
Schools: Tuck
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 117 [0], given: 6

Re: Lon Biz School vs. NYU Stern for investment mgmt - help! [#permalink] New post 22 Jan 2009, 18:12
Have you talked to people at each school to see if the kind of companies your looking to work for recruit at each school?

RF

VP
VP
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2011
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 238 [0], given: 17

Re: Lon Biz School vs. NYU Stern for investment mgmt - help! [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2009, 03:11
Take this with a grain of salt since I'm not interested in finance and so haven't done a lot of research on finance job opportunities, but I'd think NYU has the better job prospects in NYC and LBS has the better prospects for lobs in London because of proximity and alumni network.

That said, I think LBS has a better reputation than NYU, moreso outside the US.

For me, I'd make the decision based on where I wanted to work after graduation, and whether I liked the culture and fit of one school more than the other.

Intern
Intern

Re: Lon Biz School vs. NYU Stern for investment mgmt - help! [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2009, 22:15
I think NJMike is dead on. Both schools have all the recruiters from the top AM firms, but LBS seems to have a few more because of its dominance in London. LBS also seems to graduate slightly more students into asset management roles, but the employment reports are not always super precise.

Obviously, though, AM is a space where a lot of the jobs are through networking, alumni, and other non-traditional means, and the alumni networks of both are huge and well suited to getting a job in the industry. Thanks to all for the feedback...
Intern
Intern

Re: Lon Biz School vs. NYU Stern for investment mgmt - help! [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2009, 22:58
Oh, and for the curious - as far as I can tell both NYC and London control ~$20tn each of a global ~$60tn AUM of various kinds. Quite hard to estimate precisely after the savage year of 2008...
VP
VP
Schools: Chicago Booth Class of 2010
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 156 [0], given: 3

Re: Lon Biz School vs. NYU Stern for investment mgmt - help! [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2009, 10:57
I'd say that you would have "equal opportunities" with many firms from both schools. If you want alternative asset management (HFs) than it won't be more about the school, but more about your networking.

At their websites I could see Capital Group and Fidelity hiring at LBS, and Fidelity and PIMCO at NYU, which placed 4% of students in IM. One thing you should bear in mind is that students who previously wanted S&T and IBanking have shifted their attention to IM, as a result competition has increased for IM in general. In other Top Finance schools the number is around 10%, and form what I've seen here in Chicago this number may increase a little bit.

I would talk to current students from both schools, see classes, etc.

Rhyme´s guide to interviewing
http://www.gmatclub.com/forum/t55030

Kwam's Profile
111-t57360

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Lon Biz School vs. NYU Stern for investment mgmt - help! [#permalink] New post 08 Apr 2012, 00:22
NYU Stern is far more reputable in finance than LBS. Also their ranks in Finance according to FT lates rankings:

Top Ten in Finance

1. New York University: Stern

2. Columbia Business School

3. University of Rochester: Simon

4. University of Pennsylvania: Wharton

5. University of Chicago: Booth

6. London Business School

7. University of Iowa: Tippie

8. University of Toronto: Rotman

9. Carnegie Mellon: Tepper

10. Rice University: Jones
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Lon Biz School vs. NYU Stern for investment mgmt - help! [#permalink] New post 08 Apr 2012, 00:23
Plus Stern has some superb MSc programs in Global Finance and Risk Management
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V41
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 1

Re: Lon Biz School vs. NYU Stern for investment mgmt - help! [#permalink] New post 08 Apr 2012, 04:56
Just as a note, this is a 3 year old thread.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
WE: Project Management (Computer Software)
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 104 [0], given: 27

Re: Lon Biz School vs. NYU Stern for investment mgmt - help! [#permalink] New post 08 Apr 2012, 15:35
Re: Lon Biz School vs. NYU Stern for investment mgmt - help!   [#permalink] 08 Apr 2012, 15:35