Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 11:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

London Business School Class of 2016 Calling all applicants!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Current Student
GMAT 1: 690 Q44 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.54
WE: Operations (Retail Banking)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 3

Re: London Business School Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2013, 12:35
Blax0r wrote:
Anyone a little surprised that LBS didn't ask about any extracurricular info?

Just grades, gmat, work ex, and recommendations. I'm a little paranoid that I've accidentally skipped an entire section of the application.

Well they DID have a prompt that asked you to tell them about your main interests and the activities you pursue in your spare time. I assume that's where they would've wanted you to talk about that kinda stuff.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.3
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 17

Re: London Business School Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2013, 13:18
daedalus1989 wrote:
Blax0r wrote:

Just grades, gmat, work ex, and recommendations. I'm a little paranoid that I've accidentally skipped an entire section of the application.

Well they DID have a prompt that asked you to tell them about your main interests and the activities you pursue in your spare time. I assume that's where they would've wanted you to talk about that kinda stuff.

Well, it seems I may have goofed this bad. I definitely didn't list all of my volunteering/extras in that box =(.
Current Student

Re: London Business School Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2013, 18:33
Blax0r wrote:
daedalus1989 wrote:
Blax0r wrote:

Well, it seems I may have goofed this bad. I definitely didn't list all of my volunteering/extras in that box =(.

I'm sorry to hear that, buddy. If it makes you feel any better, I only wrote about two of my extracurricular interests, and it was only about 200 words. In the grand scheme of things, I'm sure that LBS will take a more holistic approach. After all, they're not going to ding you just because you didn't fill in one text box the way they might have expected you to.
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, International Business
Schools: Booth '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 10

Premium Member
Re: London Business School Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2013, 18:58
you put your extracurriculars on your resume tho right? if i saw 'activities' id think 'hey i love skydiving and hunting with a boomerang, hey technology is cool too!'.. more so hobbies than hey i ran this and that
Current Student

Re: London Business School Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2013, 08:58
helpmehelpme wrote:
you put your extracurriculars on your resume tho right? if i saw 'activities' id think 'hey i love skydiving and hunting with a boomerang, hey technology is cool too!'.. more so hobbies than hey i ran this and that

I see what you're saying, but I think it could be perceived multiple ways. The exact prompt is: "Tell us about your main interests and activities in your free time."

While I did include some of my hobbies, a lot of my free time (which I personally define as the time I'm not working or sleeping) goes to the extracurriculars I've been involved in. Sure - nobody can expect you to participate in altruistic endeavors for ALL your "free time", but I think one should answer this prompt in direct proportion with how much time they actually spend on each activity outside work.

However, I can totally see someone understanding "free time" as time not spent on work, sleep or extracurriculars. All in all - this makes Blax's problem even less impactful: whichever way you answered the question, as helpme and I can attest, there's no way to perceive your response as being definitively "wrong", so to speak.

Even more reason not to worry :)
BSchool Forum Moderator
GMAT 1: 690 Q45 V39
GPA: 3.9

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 7

Premium Member
Re: London Business School Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2013, 09:24
Totally agree with daedalus, adcoms won't ding anyone for their view on "free time". As for me, I tried to follow a more detailed approach, which means that I discussed several of my ECs/hobbies there.
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 600 Q42 V31
GMAT 2: 680 Q47 V36
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 2

Re: London Business School Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2013, 23:45
Hi guys,

I actually expected that far more people participate in LBS 2016 discussions. IN contrast, INSEAD thread is a way longer, but maybe this is because of the round 1.
I assume that the box asking applicant's interests and hobbies does not allow to include past ex-curricular activities, only the ones you are currently involved.
So not typical US school or INSEAD application.

Good luck, guys. Fingers crossed till 01 November.
Current Student
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 3

Re: London Business School Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2013, 01:32
I wouldn't worry at all about the extra curriculars. I'm sure your past experience or interests have been woven into your essays or in other parts of your application (CV maybe?) and the LBS application was designed to capture a holistic view of an applicant, regardless of where you put specific information you wanted the AdCom to know about. As long as you've told them what you, as an applicant, want to tell them about yourself, that's fine.

Personally, my past extra curriculars were woven into my essays, but in the 'Free time' section I just wrote about current hobbies, and my CV didn't mention any extra curriculars at all as I knew they had appeared elsewhere on my app.

So- don't worry! :)
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Sustainability, General Management
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 57

Re: London Business School Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 13 Oct 2013, 03:18
I am having a tough time deciding whether to apply to LBS or not.. given the visa restrictions in UK and overall economic situation in the country.
Current Student

Premium Member
Re: London Business School Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 13 Oct 2013, 20:39
LBS still gonna be top of the pile for London and I feel like LBS has amazing brand equity all over the world -- and in india too especially id imagine.

cant thinkabout this all just in a one period scenario -- although i knowthe thought of not getting a job from OCR terrifies people, for what im personally recruiting for is something that has a small amount of OCR at a few firms but a lot of related roles in 'experienced hire' positions
Current Student

Re: London Business School Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2013, 00:25
I agree with the previous post- LBS is consistently a top 10 school in the FT, and Business Week rankings. More importantly, the brand name holds strong in Europe, US and AsiaPac, which is a pretty impressive achievement. Every student I've spoken to from the school seems to be very impressed with the programme and thoroughly enjoying life here.

By the way, I think as of April this year, the UK government has changed some laws allowing it to be much easier to be employed here in the UK if you're a graduate of a British university and either (a) offered a position by an employer here; or (b) starting a business that is seen to be adding to the UK economy (the school has up to 20 places to support this each year). I would put in some research and speak to the school about what the process is like.
Current Student

Premium Member
Re: London Business School Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2013, 05:49
M7 Tuck LBS and INSEAD are all top tier I'd say and tons of people from those schools study abroad at LBS each year--including Booth-- and all report back that its an awesome experience both academically and living in London/seeing Europe.
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V40
WE: Engineering (Telecommunications)

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 1

Re: London Business School Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2013, 21:44
Rashad853 wrote:
Hi guys,

I actually expected that far more people participate in LBS 2016 discussions. IN contrast, INSEAD thread is a way longer, but maybe this is because of the round 1.
I assume that the box asking applicant's interests and hobbies does not allow to include past ex-curricular activities, only the ones you are currently involved.

The Sept 2014 intake for Insead is just 3 pages long too. What are you seeing exactly?
Intern
Intern

Re: London Business School Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2013, 22:31
unbounded wrote:
Rashad853 wrote:
Hi guys,

The Sept 2014 intake for Insead is just 3 pages long too. What are you seeing exactly?

I was talking abt Jan 14 intake, I applied in the last round and that's why following that thread.
BSchool Forum Moderator
GMAT 1: 690 Q45 V39
GPA: 3.9

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 7

Premium Member
Re: London Business School Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2013, 06:10
Then I fear I can't see your point here: the INSEAD Jan intake thread usually gathers applicants starting from spring to fall, and this is why the thread you mentioned in your post is way longer than this one, since people have been posting there for quite a while (maybe from Feb or Mar 2013).

On the other hand, if you compare anyone of the past Calling All LBS Applicants threads with the INSEAD Jan intake, I think you will find those being equally long, more or less.
Intern
Intern

Re: London Business School Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2013, 06:17
DavideGMAT wrote:
Then I fear I can't see your point here: the INSEAD Jan intake thread usually gathers applicants starting from spring to fall, and this is why the thread you mentioned in your post is way longer than this one, since people have been posting there for quite a while (maybe from Feb or Mar 2013).

On the other hand, if you compare anyone of the past Calling All LBS Applicants threads with the INSEAD Jan intake, I think you will find those being equally long, more or less.

I did take it into consideration saying that the reason is because it is still round 1 for LBS. It is not a big deal anyways, so let's not deviate from more interesting topics here.
Current Student

Premium Member
Re: London Business School Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2013, 05:42
so quiet :D best of luck in .. less than two weeks!
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 750 Q48 V45
GPA: 3.41

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 2

Re: London Business School Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2013, 13:37
helpmehelpme wrote:

Why two weeks? When are we supposed to hear back? I submitted R1 and have no idea when I can expect to hear - LBS provided so little clarity compared to the US schools that I applied to - haha just occurring to me I should double check it was actually fully submitted!
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 740 Q46 V46
GPA: 2.32
WE: Corporate Finance (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 7

Re: London Business School Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2013, 14:52
LizHa wrote:
helpmehelpme wrote:

Why two weeks? When are we supposed to hear back? I submitted R1 and have no idea when I can expect to hear - LBS provided so little clarity compared to the US schools that I applied to - haha just occurring to me I should double check it was actually fully submitted!

LBS notifies everyone on the same day (as far as I know). For round 1 it is Nov. 1. It's a rough wait - I think I might wind up with an ulcer before it is all done.

Good luck to you!
Current Student

Re: London Business School Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2013, 05:08
thefinancelady wrote:
LizHa wrote:
helpmehelpme wrote:

LBS notifies everyone on the same day (as far as I know). For round 1 it is Nov. 1. It's a rough wait - I think I might wind up with an ulcer before it is all done.

Good luck to you!

Haha I hear you- I only applied to INSEAD and LBS and the wait is annoying enough, huge respect to those who have put in apps for more than 2 schools and are now playing the waiting game :?

Just want next Fri to come and go so I at least know whether there's a chance or not!

Where in the states are you from, thefinancelady?
Re: London Business School Class of 2016 Calling all applicants!   [#permalink] 23 Oct 2013, 05:08