Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 11 Jul 2014, 22:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

London Business School LBS 2013 - Calling all MBA Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
4 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GPA: 4
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 111 [4] , given: 215

London Business School LBS 2013 - Calling all MBA Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2012, 09:55
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED

London Business School LBS 2013 - Calling all MBA Applicants

6 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 14 [6] , given: 4

Re: London Business School LBS 2013 - Calling all MBA Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 May 2013, 06:02
This post received
KUDOS
Postal wrote:
Skientist wrote:
Postal wrote:
Guys! Are you really serious? What is so difficult comparing a top notch US incumbent school with classical MBA to a European one, even with good ranking. How can you take location into consideration, its not a real estate that you buy. Its just 2 years of your life, after which you move wherever you want. And this so called "international" feature is just a PR trick used by European schools to be competitive.

Waitlisted much?

Graduating,bro!

Life must be moving full speed ahead for you.

Coming onto a B School application forum to make derogatory comments (about something you clearly know little about) even after you have graduated!

If my time is worth as little as yours after graduating from LBS please shoot me.
4 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.5
WE: Military Officer (Military & Defense)

Kudos [?]: 10 [4] , given: 1

Re: LBS 2013 - Calling all MBA Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2012, 14:45
This post received
KUDOS
Hyppo wrote:
el184 wrote:
nutsngum wrote:
Anyone here having the internal debate between LBS vs. US schools?

have been going back and forth on this one since i got the acceptance email. having a hard time imagining myself turning down 2 years in london, but definitely have a few doubts.

Where are you accepted in the US?

I have my doubts too...

Yes, I am having the same debate. It's less about doubts and more about opportunities. I don't think a capable, ambitious individual has anything to complain about going to LBS. It is clear the majority of LBS students walk away with great jobs on the higher end of the compensation pool. The difference is many of those jobs are in London. It sounds like it's not impossible to find jobs in the U.S. (if that is your concern) but it's not easy either -- though career services says they make an effort to reach out to the U.S. many students, and even the admissions committee, admit the job search is more England (London) centric. Now, that being said, huge amounts of students go back to mainland Europe, Asia and Latin America as well from LBS.

I mean, if you are dead set on working in NY and you get into CBS or Stern, or something like that -- then LBS might not be the way to go. But if you are open to where you might end up, then LBS is certainly a great opportunity. In my case, I don't know where I'd like to work yet: San Francisco, Boston, London? I think a lot depends on the caliber of the schools I get into -- I am going to choose LBS over a US school outside of the top ten even if I do love Los Angeles or North Carolina, pretty much because I think the education and opportunities will be better.

Apparently, lots of Americans that do end up at LBS stay there for a few years after their MBA and then make an effort to come back to the US, or they just stay there. Some, about 15% I think, come back right after the MBA, but I imagine many of those people are coming back to previous employers or using personal connections to find jobs. Also, a quick note, it's harder for US passport holders to do semesters abroad in the US from LBS -- many of those spots are reserved for foreigners since the receiving schools want more diversity than anything else.

In my case LBS seems a perfect fit -- unless a more perfect fit comes along. Initially, I was ONLY going to apply to LBS, or really, ONLY going to take LBS seriously with everything else being a back-up but have since changed my mind. I suppose I too need US choices, and if HBS or the likes comes and says "we'd like you here" well, then, it will be very hard to ignore that.

Another thing to consider is the direction of the region, and the schools you are considering. Many Americans discount Europe as a place to work, but I would posit that London will stay a very strong job market for decades. Not to mention, the school is expanding which will allow it to increase it's brand significantly.

Look at how open you are to working internationally vs. domestically, and also how confident you are in your own network. I personally think that even if I went to LBS and decided I wanted to make it back to the US, I could find a good job opportunity just by sheer will -- but that is a big assumption, and a risky one. Yet, I am comfortable with it.
Expert Post
4 KUDOS received
Christine Lin, Principal
Concentration: Strategy, Organizational Behavior
Schools: London Business School (LBS) - Class of 2002
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 56 [4] , given: 1

Re: LBS 2013 - Calling all MBA Applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Jan 2013, 18:02
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hi,

I've been an alumni interviewer for London Business School for the past ten years. While you're waiting for the interview invitation, do prepare for it by reading the Economist, Financial Times, and other sources of international business news if you haven't already started doing so.

I try to bring out the best in the candidates, and ask them questions to assess cultural fit with the school, interest in London Business School, clarity of career goals, and questions regarding their work experience and accomplishments. Make sure you can clearly articulate why MBA and why London Business School. And be prepared to discuss opportunities and threats for businesses you've worked with.

Good luck to you!

Christine Lin
If you like this post, please give it KUDOS!

alpa212 wrote:
cyril94115 wrote:
esdykes wrote:
Side note - I didn't see anyone comment on the AWESOME welcome packet from LBS.

do share! How awesome is it ?

Note: this forum is not very lively... any more hopeful R2 applicants like me?
How long did it take in average for the R1 applicants out there to get interview invites? Do they wait for their deadline to send all invites, or do they come out before?

thanks!

I'm a hopeful R2 applicant :) Hoping the answer to your question is that they wait until the deadline to send invites so I don't have to stress until Feb 8....

Christine Lin | Marvel Admissions
Marvel Admissions Website | Marvel Admissions Blog
Marvel Admissions Reviews| Marvel Admissions Discount

3 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [3] , given: 0

Re: LBS 2013 - Calling all MBA Applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Nov 2012, 05:30
This post received
KUDOS
JonAdmissionado wrote:
greatps24 wrote:
Please suggest a good admission consultant for LBS. Most of the consultants are US B'school centric.

Drop us a line. We have a few people who have done LOTS of work with European schools. Our consultant Yaron has done quite a few Europe applications and has lived in several European countries, and has gotten amazing results with some very diverse people.

I believe people should not offer/take professional help while applying in colleges for education and i firmly believe that colleges should put efforts to stop this as well. It is very unfair to people who try to apply on their own as obviously they will not have so called tailored applications by professionals. We all want to go there(colleges) to acquire knowledge for a better future. If people can not write their own applications then i really doubt how they justify their right to have such an education.
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.53
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 12 [2] , given: 2

Re: London Business School LBS 2013 - Calling all MBA Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Feb 2013, 18:50
This post received
KUDOS
The interview was in the alumnus' office and lasted about and hour and a half. He was very pleasant and made sure that I am comfortable, unlike the other interview I recently had.

The first part was a general discussion of what my criteria's for choosing the right program are. There were a number of the typical questions asked within the conversation, but everything was asked over the course of the discussion, not by itself.

The presentation was actually much easier than I expected. There were a number of topics that he choose from, but all were related to recent events and were not at all surprising if you have kept up with the business news over the last 2-3 weeks.

Overall, it was a very pleasant experience and I feel that I learned quite a bit about the school. Now the long wait until March 28 begins...

PM me with any questions...
2 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: Q V0
GMAT 2: Q0 V0
GMAT 3: 710 Q0 V0
WE: Engineering (Consumer Electronics)

Kudos [?]: 10 [2] , given: 2

Re: London Business School LBS 2013 - Calling all MBA Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Feb 2013, 08:36
This post received
KUDOS
I had my interview on Monday morning. It was a very good experience. The alumni was obviously very smart and successful. Made for interesting discussions. She challenged me with a couple simulation questions (what would you do if you had a company to start, with x people, and y budget...). What would you do if in your company you had to reduce costs for z reasons? Those were fun little problems to work through with her.
About the presentation, don't stress about it! Remember your AWA section in the GMAT. That's what you really need to think about. Brush up on what structure to use to present an argument. I wish I had brushed up on it. Would have saved me some time and stress. I think I was not as clear/organized in the presentation as I would have liked to be.
Overall, it was quite positive. The alumni had a similar background to mine, and we connected on a bunch of levels.
Let's wait now.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V40
GPA: 3.18
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 67 [1] , given: 12

Reviews Badge
Re: LBS 2013 - Calling all MBA Applicants [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2012, 11:41
This post received
KUDOS
Sarajevo123 wrote:
had my interview today. It lasted 2 hours and 40 minutes. My throat is now sore. I have also realized that after LBS interview I dont need to prepare for any other interview as every possible question was covered.

Haha - I agree 100% with this statement. The interview was very deep. Good one to start with if you can. Unfortunately for me, it was my last one and left me feeling like I could have had stronger examples in earlier interviews. Boo to the agonizing wait. :shock:
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 1

Re: LBS 2013 - Calling all MBA Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2012, 01:24
This post received
KUDOS
Already admitted I just wanted to wish you the best of luck to all of you. Looking forward to seeing you next year in London!
1 KUDOS received
BSchool Forum Moderator
Schools: Ross '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 720 Q V0
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 131 [1] , given: 27

Premium Member
Re: LBS 2013 - Calling all MBA Applicants [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2012, 13:56
This post received
KUDOS
esdykes wrote:

Ward - I'm so sorry to hear this. There's no other response that I can think of other than: that totally sucks!

I'm not sure what I would do in your case, but I wonder if calling the admissions office and approach the discussion more about what you could have done differently (ie: feedback). If they mention the interview as the dagger in your application, you could then bring up this experience to them (politely). If they have other elements (work experience, recommendations, GMAT), then you can potentially rest a bit easier knowing that it wasn't this one horrible interview. Although, the outcome still sucks.

It's a fine line - I'd think long and hard about if I wanted to do that or not - but since LBS really prides themselves on training their alumni interviewers, it's just shocking that your experience was completely different from everyone else's.

Best of luck to you at other schools. I'm sure you'll be fantastic wherever you go, but I know that doesn't take the sting out of the LBS ding.

Thanks for the positive words. I have been thinking about sending LBS an email but haven't come to a final decision yet (I'm leaning towards "yes") to just make them aware. At the minimum, perhaps I can help a future applicant out in case he or she gets my interviewer. I know alum interviews always have a higher chance of someone going rogue, but my thinking is that every alum interview still has to answer the same questions from the Admissions Committee, and based on the questions asked me, I don't know what he could have written about to answer the AdCom's questions.

Also, I practiced and discussed my interview with two LBS alums who currently do interviews. In the aftermath, I told them about what I was actually asked, and they said they had never heard an interview like mine before.

At any rate, it's probably hard to read right now from my posts, but I've moved on. I don't want to sound like I'm whining because as you mention my ding could have been for some other completely different reason than my interview. It will always be a little bit of sour grapes, but I'm ready to focus on other options and if none of them work out, maybe reapply next year to LBS.

Congrats on all your admits and to everyone else who got good news from LBS.

Last edited by Ward2012 on 11 Feb 2013, 23:44, edited 2 times in total.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V40
GPA: 3.18
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 67 [1] , given: 12

Reviews Badge
Re: LBS 2013 - Calling all MBA Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2012, 15:15
This post received
KUDOS
Someone PM'd me about US vs LBS and I can't remember who it was. (Sorry by the way - I'm horribly behind on PM responses!). In any event, I figure that I'll throw in my two cents here now that it's a larger topic.

High level: I completely agree with jacorrea. For me, I am VERY open to where I work post-MBA. I am from the US and have also been based in the US for jobs. I would love a job outside of the US post-MBA, but it's not a firm requirement. I am a career-switcher of sorts, so a 2 year program is critical to allow for the internship. Magically - LBS gave me a 2-year program + London life + high potential for job outside the US without closing doors for getting a job in the US (should I change my mind). They were my first choice school (again - totally agree with jacorrea).

Somehow - the fates aligned and I got into HBS. I cannot turn that opportunity down, but the decision isn't one of US vs LBS. It's HBS vs LBS.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Christine Lin, Principal
Concentration: Strategy, Organizational Behavior
Schools: London Business School (LBS) - Class of 2002
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 56 [1] , given: 1

Re: LBS 2013 - Calling all MBA Applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2013, 00:10
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hi,

I just read your post, and I am so sorry to hear about your experience. I've been an alumni interviewer for London Business School for the past ten years, and my objective has always been to bring out the best in the candidates, and focus on selection.

The problem with alumni interviewers is that they sometimes can be very unpredictable.

In your case, I think you could have asked the school to match you with another interviewer. Your interviewer did not follow the instructions given by the school, and went off on his own.

Are you applying to other schools?

Good luck!

Christine Lin, Principal, Marvel Admissions
http://marveladmissions.com/

If you like this post, please give it KUDOS!

Ward2012 wrote:
Now that I know my decision, I'll report on the interview I had for my LBS Round 1 application.

My interview seems to have been different than every other LBS interview report I read. Going in, I was very prepared to speak about my background, my leadership experiences and why I wanted to go to LBS, but he threw me off with questions to test my business knowledge and knowledge about the world. He asked me two questions about me: why MBA/why LBS and what type of int'l work experience I have. After that, my interviewer asked me a bunch of other questions, including:

What is the current price of oil?
What was the DOW at today?
Where do you get your news? What do you think of the future of the publishing industry?
Do you think the price of gold will go up? Why?
What do you think the future of Syria will look like?
What is the fiscal cliff?
What happened in China last week?
Who's the prime minister of Britain?

This went on for about 45 minutes. Then he also gave me a consulting case study:

How many quarters would it take to fill up our room and would that be taller than the future World Trade Center if you stacked them all up?

My presentation, I think went ok. It was about whether companies need to have integrity with their consumers.

I felt flustered and don't think I really talked about myself that much. He did say at certain points that he just wanted to see how I think and it was ok that I didn't know answers to some of his questions, so that comforted me a little.

But I'm guessing my performance in the interview played a large part in my ding notice today.

I'm really bummed about the ding. It will take me a while to get over this.

Christine Lin | Marvel Admissions
Marvel Admissions Website | Marvel Admissions Blog
Marvel Admissions Reviews| Marvel Admissions Discount

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [1] , given: 12

Re: London Business School LBS 2013 - Calling all MBA Applicants [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2013, 07:04
This post received
KUDOS
I am an admit for MBA2015. And I would love to answer any questions you guys have here regarding the process, what to expect in interviews etc. Btw, the interview invites will be out on the mentioned date only, 3 PM GMT onwards. So no need to get worked up right now!

Just PM me or ask here, if you have any questions and we go from there. Look forward to meeting many of you in August in London.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V35
GMAT 2: 700 Q48 V37
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 46 [1] , given: 15

Re: London Business School LBS 2013 - Calling all MBA Applicants [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2013, 12:31
This post received
KUDOS
jmandion wrote:
Waiting for R2 interview decision tomorrow.

Me too.

For those who want to know, last year they sent invites by noon UK time
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: Q V0
GMAT 2: Q0 V0
GMAT 3: 710 Q0 V0
WE: Engineering (Consumer Electronics)

Kudos [?]: 10 [1] , given: 2

Re: London Business School LBS 2013 - Calling all MBA Applicants [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2013, 08:49
This post received
KUDOS
Got the interview invite today ! Yes!! :)

I got admitted into Stanford GSB Sloan program... that or LBS for FT MBA... I am hesitating!
1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 0

Re: London Business School LBS 2013 - Calling all MBA Applicants [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2013, 06:35
This post received
KUDOS
The topics usually come with a 4-5 line description.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 13 [1] , given: 4

Re: London Business School LBS 2013 - Calling all MBA Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2013, 02:33
This post received
KUDOS
Any impressions about interviews ?
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41

Kudos [?]: 21 [1] , given: 0

Re: London Business School LBS 2013 - Calling all MBA Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2013, 02:50
This post received
KUDOS
lamanxa wrote:
Victorinox wrote:
Same question bothering me... want to give one shot at a top 10 school... but still thinking

guys, check http://rusgirl.blogspot.com.br/2007/03/ ... stics.html for information regarding yields and % of the admits per round for 2007. It is kind of old, but my guess is that the % of R3 and R4 admits (about only 20% of total admits) is the same. Seems that postponing the application in a year is the better strategy by now.

I think another relevant statistic would also be the number of applicants in R3...Well trusting my gut that many applicants have shied away (or made a wise decision) from R3 :idea: , I have taken the gamble of applying in R3 at LBS. Anyone else joinng me in this round? :wink:

You'll never walk alone!!

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 14 [1] , given: 4

Re: London Business School LBS 2013 - Calling all MBA Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2013, 05:09
This post received
KUDOS
Skientist wrote:
Not much activity here! No one else in for R3?

Lack of activity right now is a good thing as far as I'm concerned :)
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Healthcare, International Business
GMAT 1: 640 Q V0
GMAT 2: 710 Q42 V45
GMAT 3: 740 Q48 V42
GMAT 4: Q V0
GMAT 5: Q V0
GPA: 3.3
WE: Research (Consulting)
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 63 [1] , given: 134

GMAT Tests User
Re: London Business School LBS 2013 - Calling all MBA Applicants [#permalink] New post 06 Mar 2013, 11:39
This post received
KUDOS
I don't know, TON of pressure from family to not compromise INSEAD as payment deadline March 29th, and LBS decision is March 28th. I'm not one to get pressured though, so speaking to a lot of people and will decide by week-end in the eventuality LBS accepts me too.

To be honest though, I think I will take INSEAD either way, so far I love everything about the school.

How to improve your RC score, pls Kudo if helpful! http://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-improve-my-rc-accuracy-117195.html
Work experience (as of June 2012)
2.5 yrs (Currently employed) - Mckinsey & Co. (US Healthcare Analyst)
2 yrs - Advertising industry (client servicing)

Re: London Business School LBS 2013 - Calling all MBA Applicants   [#permalink] 06 Mar 2013, 11:39