Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Nov 2014, 15:09

Happy Thanksgiving:

Free Access to GMAT Club Tests until 11 AM PST on Fri 11/28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

LONDON BUSINESS SCHOOL MASTERS IN MANAGEMENT 2011

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: LONDON BUSINESS SCHOOL MASTERS IN MANAGEMENT 2011 [#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2010, 10:05
This post received
KUDOS
@ hofimax
That sounds great! But what do you mean by stream? Is it like a class?

@luftwaffe @wvb25
Gooooood luck! Hope you've found some useful information from this thread =)
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: LBS
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 9 [1] , given: 2

Re: LONDON BUSINESS SCHOOL MASTERS IN MANAGEMENT 2011 [#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2010, 13:43
This post received
KUDOS
Don't worry about the living expenses too much. All the areas right around LBS are ridiculously expensive, because it's right near Regent's Park, but I would never live there. It's really not necessary for me to live within walking distance of the school. I lived in Zone 2 last year and paid £320 a month for a pretty good sized furnished room. I don't expect to get that lucky again, but under £500/month is completely feasible. Plus we get discounted Tube fares, and there's always Iceland's where you can get frozen meals for £1 (and Primark!). I only made £8.50 an hour and was able to take care of all my expenses and save up some money. The only problem is that you have to have the funding for what they've determined your living expenses will be up front. I'll get the money, but definitely won't spend all of it.

I paid a lot more in rent living in a shared room in Los Angeles than I did in London, even with the conversion.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: LBS MiM
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [1] , given: 0

Re: LONDON BUSINESS SCHOOL MASTERS IN MANAGEMENT 2011 [#permalink] New post 22 Apr 2010, 10:01
This post received
KUDOS
Quote:
I'm looking into different housing options right now and I was wondering when your Orientation Week took place last year? The 2010 dates aren't confirmed yet. Also, would you suggest arriving in London 1 week or 2 weeks prior to the Orientation?

Last year we started off with Orientation Week on September 1. I have no information about the MiM2011 start.

Quote:
Hey Hofimax, I was wondering how the employment rate is right now for the current MiMs. Also, woud you be able to share a little bit about the types of students who are struggling to find jobs right now? For example, what are they're backgrounds, maybe where they are in the class, and what companies they have tried? Thanks!

Just wanted to add here, that my fellow MiMs are still getting job offers on a constant basis (for example 3 during last week). Also those who are looking for jobs in their country of origin are often still in the application process. Furthermore I guess that up to 10% or so are not actively looking for a job for various reasons... be it a family company, further education...
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 24 [1] , given: 6

Re: LONDON BUSINESS SCHOOL MASTERS IN MANAGEMENT 2011 [#permalink] New post 13 Jun 2010, 11:15
This post received
KUDOS
Since I have given you guys an idea about the interview from my experience can't say much more but about the
"5) Consider wider issues within the business world, including how these may impact your career options, post-graduation." that you mentioned|:
Firstly I don't recall anyone from my class getting that.. I guess its come up after the tough hiring year of 2009-10 that most programmes have faced. They probably want to assess whether you do realize how hard it might be to get a job in say IB or Consulting if things didn't improve much... (although since January hiring is back up) ... So be prepared to give them an idea of how flexible you are in your career goals while at the same time focused. (maybe IB/consulting back home might be an option to bring up etc)
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 9 [1] , given: 2

Re: LONDON BUSINESS SCHOOL MASTERS IN MANAGEMENT 2011 [#permalink] New post 13 Jun 2010, 11:50
This post received
KUDOS
I agree with MJ2009 - I had an initial interview within an alumnus and then a follow up phone interview with admissions because my original interviewer didn't have a similar background and wasn't able to ask certain questions. While I wasn't given any specific questions regarding the economy, I was told that media is a very difficult industry to break into, was I aware that networking will be crucial, would I be willing to take a nontraditional career path or consider other options while networking, etc. I think question five probably has to do with that. They most likely won't ask you very specific questions that you would have to read finance publications to know the answers to (although if that's your industry it may differ). They just want to you if you've taken the current economic situation into account and be aware of the obstacles you'll have to face during the job search and the extra work you'll have to put in to get around those obstacles. Basically, they want to make sure you don't expect to get admitted, coast through the school year, and expect to be handed your dream job at the end :)
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 1

Re: LONDON BUSINESS SCHOOL MASTERS IN MANAGEMENT 2011 [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2010, 16:55
This post received
KUDOS
ionutulescu wrote:
Hei there, rstl ! I am also considering applying for the class of 2012, and it's nice to meet you. About the GPA, I saw on the official website that there is a minimum 3.5 GPA required... I guess that they pay a lot of attention on the GMAT also, since there applicants come from so many background

Hi there... I know from first hand experience and info that they don't pay A LOT of attention on the GMAT (much less than US schools for sure!)... it is just another aspect to take into account when they are making the decisions, that's all.

What they want is DIVERSITY! They want someone DIFFERENT.
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 6

Re: LONDON BUSINESS SCHOOL MASTERS IN MANAGEMENT 2011 [#permalink] New post 04 Sep 2009, 14:25
bsd_lover wrote:
Good stuff MJ - hope things are well. We have had nearly a week full of classes at the MBA. We should get together one day at Windsor.

Definitely Yes! just need to figure out how to get in touch :)
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 9

Re: LONDON BUSINESS SCHOOL MASTERS IN MANAGEMENT 2011 [#permalink] New post 04 Sep 2009, 21:31
hi MJ,

i wuld like to know abt the admission procedure and stuff, and also the job opprtunites f tis course., in general your overall exprnc ter..:P
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Kellogg, MIT, Michigan, Berkeley, Marshall, Mellon
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 13

Re: LONDON BUSINESS SCHOOL MASTERS IN MANAGEMENT 2011 [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2009, 07:45
thanks for the info!!

I've never heard about it before but it sounds interesting

looking forward to hearing more from you

mates, please visit my profile and leave comments
johnlewis1980-s-profile-feedback-is-more-than-welcome-80538.html

I'm not linked to GMAT questions anymore, so, if you need something, please PM me

I'm already focused on my application package :)

My experience in my second attempt
http://gmatclub.com/forum/p544312#p544312
My experience in my third attempt
630-q-47-v-28-engineer-non-native-speaker-my-experience-78215.html#p588275

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Economics
Schools: Insead Sept '16
GMAT Date: 09-30-2014
GPA: 3.57

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 17

Re: LONDON BUSINESS SCHOOL MASTERS IN MANAGEMENT 2011 [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2009, 16:26
Is the MiM an alternative to the MBA or would one get an MiM, more work experience, and then get an MBA?

Life with the GMAT:

Jerome: Ben, c'est 20 secondes de plus qu'hier sur le meme parcours! C'etait bien le meme parcours la, non?!
Gigi: Mais t'enerve pas, Jerome, je crois que t'as accroche une porte.
Jerome: *$&#(*%&(*#%&

Current Student

Re: LONDON BUSINESS SCHOOL MASTERS IN MANAGEMENT 2011 [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2009, 20:06
sharshar84 wrote:
Is the MiM an alternative to the MBA or would one get an MiM, more work experience, and then get an MBA?

MiM is a pre-experience program. Admission office discourages anyone with more than 12 months of FT work experience to apply. Quite clearly MiM is not an alternative to MBA. :)
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: LONDON BUSINESS SCHOOL MASTERS IN MANAGEMENT 2011 [#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2009, 02:51
MJ2009 wrote:
sharshar84 wrote:

MiM is a pre-experience program. Admission office discourages anyone with more than 12 months of FT work experience to apply. Quite clearly MiM is not an alternative to MBA. :)

by Full Time work experience, do you mean any kind of work or only relevant work related to Management?

Thank you
CEO
CEO
Followers: 58

Kudos [?]: 447 [0], given: 210

Re: LONDON BUSINESS SCHOOL MASTERS IN MANAGEMENT 2011 [#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2009, 07:17
No I believe it is all full time work experience.

pigbird wrote:
MJ2009 wrote:
sharshar84 wrote:

by Full Time work experience, do you mean any kind of work or only relevant work related to Management?

Thank you
Current Student

Re: LONDON BUSINESS SCHOOL MASTERS IN MANAGEMENT 2011 [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2009, 14:46
This is somewhat of a useless post but I was just wondering if someone could throw some ideas in this thread (or at some other appropriate place) on how to market this thread about LONDON BUSINESS SCHOOL MASTERS IN MANAGEMENT 2011?
The reason I bring it up is because we have been working on a marketing challenge for the past week and I was thinking if I could somehow use this thread if it becomes (or more likely is made) very very active. Active enough to pop up on google searches for terms like "Masters in Management" or "LBS Masters" or some other variant searches. Any ideas people? (Feel absolutely free to post here or pm)

BB, will take permission from you, before acting upon any idea :)
Intern
Intern

Re: LONDON BUSINESS SCHOOL MASTERS IN MANAGEMENT 2011 [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2009, 06:09
I was waiting for someone to start this post
Thanks MJ for starting the discussion and also sharing your your experiences.
I want to ask whether there are any students in the MIM batch of yours who are interested in Energy sector and is MIM relevant for them.
Intern
Intern

Re: LONDON BUSINESS SCHOOL MASTERS IN MANAGEMENT 2011 [#permalink] New post 02 Oct 2009, 18:48
Thank you very much for the reply.
Intern
Intern

Re: LONDON BUSINESS SCHOOL MASTERS IN MANAGEMENT 2011 [#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2009, 00:55
I would like to know more about the shadow projects at London Business School.What is it exactly?
How is it helping Mim students to gain practical business skills?
Intern
Intern

Re: LONDON BUSINESS SCHOOL MASTERS IN MANAGEMENT 2011 [#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2009, 05:38
Oh yes forgot to mention!!!
Saw some of the marketing challenges videos of MIM students on youtube :-D
My personal Favourite was by D-16 :)
Please give a pat on the back to all of them!!!
CEO
CEO
Followers: 58

Kudos [?]: 447 [0], given: 210

Re: LONDON BUSINESS SCHOOL MASTERS IN MANAGEMENT 2011 [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2009, 13:09
Looks like one of the best LBS videos has come out of the MiM folks. Well done - keep them coming :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjiynzIh7Ps
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 2

Re: LONDON BUSINESS SCHOOL MASTERS IN MANAGEMENT 2011 [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2009, 12:32
Hi MJ,

Thanks for creating this post...just the kind of place where you can throw all your doubts out for discussion. How is the programme going? I am applying for MiM 2011, so just wanted to know the overall development of the MiM. Also, is the application process too stringent? What kind of GMAT score is considered as acceptable?

Looking forward to hear back from you.

Cheers.. :)
Re: LONDON BUSINESS SCHOOL MASTERS IN MANAGEMENT 2011   [#permalink] 31 Oct 2009, 12:32