Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 15:23 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 15:23

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools:LBS
 Q46  V34
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 77 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: LONDON BUSINESS SCHOOL MASTERS IN MANAGEMENT 2011 [#permalink]
Pratikgoyal wrote:
Hello there, i had an inquiry regarding the LBS MIM, not so much as inquiry about the program but the about the students.I want to ask what are the profile of students who get selected in this program prior to joining??
There previous degree, any specific point on their resume which makes them stand out of the crowd?
Please do not take this the wrong way!

Hey there,

They have unfortunately removed those profiles from the site. I suspect that they will upload some from the 2011 class within September or October.

Otherwise you can PM me your mailaddress, so I can send the profiles of the 2010 class... :)

Cheers.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Hello. Thanks a lot for the very informative forum.

I had a couple of questions with regards to my profile and my chances of admission:

Qualification: B.Tech (Production Engineering)

Work Experience: Working since June 2009 in a manufacturing firm in a remote area in India. Will complete two years of work experience before the program starts.

GMAT: 650 (Q46,V34,AWA5.0) I know it is on the lower side and am definitely contemplating about giving it again. Should I be retaking it or will this score be enough?

There was something I read about the adcom not accepting students with more than one year of work experience. Is that a hard and fast rule?

Final question: Is my profile good enough? Could you suggest changes which I could accomplish if I plan to apply in time for the November deadline?

Thank you.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
rajeevmundhada wrote:
Hello. Thanks a lot for the very informative forum.

I had a couple of questions with regards to my profile and my chances of admission:

Qualification: B.Tech (Production Engineering)

Work Experience: Working since June 2009 in a manufacturing firm in a remote area in India. Will complete two years of work experience before the program starts.

GMAT: 650 (Q46,V34,AWA5.0) I know it is on the lower side and am definitely contemplating about giving it again. Should I be retaking it or will this score be enough?

There was something I read about the adcom not accepting students with more than one year of work experience. Is that a hard and fast rule?

Final question: Is my profile good enough? Could you suggest changes which I could accomplish if I plan to apply in time for the November deadline?

Thank you.

Hey rajeevmundhada,

It is my understanding that adcom is very strict regarding the 1 year work experience. My advice is to send adcom an email with your CV and your situation. Though, I think that you might be overqualified for the MiM as you would have two years of full-time experience upon appcliation. You should check out the MiM at MIT and the MiM at HEC Paris (Grand Ecole). The first is a one year in opposition to the latter, which is two years.

Furthermore, your GMAT, which is decent, is only one factor of many. The GMAT is seen in relation to your GPA - that is at least what I was told by adcom, when I asked them.

So if your GPA is around the 3,5 the general advice is to garnish a high GMAT score - and that one in range of 700 would make your profile more competitive!

They have a template that they would like you to use when posing questions.

/MRHDK1
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Hey thanks for the prompt reply MRHDK.

I'll certainly send a mail to the adcom and hope for a positive response from their side.

The MiM program at MIT is also very interesting considering the duration that you have stated. I'll definitely look into it.

In India, our GPA's are calculated on a scale of 10 in which I have a score of 6.9 which is again pretty average.

Seems like I'll have to give the GMAT again!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
 Q46  V34
Send PM
Your GMAT is fine, I got in with the same score. The only real problem in your application would be 2 years of working experience (excluding internships)
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hi,

Thanks for the post and more so for the helping hand. I am applying this year and hopefully will find myself in london next sept. I was going through the application form and noticed that on the education page there is no option for ending my degree in 2011. I am a final year engineering student in India and will be receiving my degree only in may 2011, I want to know if i should select 2010 and explain my problem later on or write to the board, since it says "Give details of your highest level of education first. If you have not yet received your degree, please include your expected completion date and expected grades.''

thanks! :)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi, MJ
very glad to see this post and would like to say thanks for what u've done.
and I 'm very interested in the mim program. and I want to engage in marketing field in the future, but I find that many of those who are enrolled in lbs finally will go to finance aspect. So I really want to know that LBS can provide this kind of opportunity in marketing field.besides I major in logistics management and my internships in some large companies are mainly in scm departments , will it be less possible for me to be enrolled in the program??
Many thx
Manager
Manager
 Q46  V34
Send PM
I have just started the course but I know of some people who went into Marketing last year (to P&G and WPP for example) and the Marketing Club is VERY VERY active, so don't worry about that!

Actually, this year only around 25% want to go to Finance I think...

yyy627 wrote:
Hi, MJ
and I 'm very interested in the mim program. and I want to engage in marketing field in the future, but I find that many of those who are enrolled in lbs finally will go to finance aspect. So I really want to know that LBS can provide this kind of opportunity in marketing field.besides I major in logistics management and my internships in some large companies are mainly in scm departments , will it be less possible for me to be enrolled in the program??
Many thx
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi, Kitsune
Many many thanks for ur reply :-D
And I really wanna go to LBS mim, cuz actually as I said my major in uni is logistics management but after a period internship in HP supply chain dept, I realize that maybe I do not fancy abt the supply chain management so I wanna go to LBS mim for one year study and through the general courses in business I can restart in business. So is LBS mim for this reason suit for me ?? besides, to be frank I do not know much abt the jobs after graduation of LBS mim, will graduates of the program go to management trainees programs in big companies or others ???
expecting for ur reply

Many thanks
best regards

kitsune wrote:
I have just started the course but I know of some people who went into Marketing last year (to P&G and WPP for example) and the Marketing Club is VERY VERY active, so don't worry about that!

Actually, this year only around 25% want to go to Finance I think...

yyy627 wrote:
Hi, MJ
Many thx
Manager
Manager
 Q46  V34
Send PM
If you want a Masters in General Management where you would get an insight of the business world, VERY career-focused, with a VERY diverse class and conferences, presentations, etc. of very important firms and people... this is your place! Moreover, the clubs are VERY VERY GOOD! It could be better? Of course, but I do reckon that this programme is much better than LSE or HEC's equivalent!

About the job issue, people from last year got jobs in top consulting firms, top banks, etc. However, not EVERYONE! They do prepare you to get a job, but then it's up to you to actually get it!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Wow.that's really what I want!
But I 'm concerned abt my university.I do hear a lot that lbs pay much attention to the applicant's university,whether it is a key or prestigious school in the country.my university is not that prestigious in my country though I have a high gap.
Besides,I am an international student and I took Toefl test,i feel I did not very well in the test and Lbs seems to require 110 of Toefl
another question is that whatever I apply for the 1st round or 2nd round is the chance for me to admitted equal ??

Thx

kitsune wrote:
If you want a Masters in General Management where you would get an insight of the business world, VERY career-focused, with a VERY diverse class and conferences, presentations, etc. of very important firms and people... this is your place! Moreover, the clubs are VERY VERY GOOD! It could be better? Of course, but I do reckon that this programme is much better than LSE or HEC's equivalent!

About the job issue, people from last year got jobs in top consulting firms, top banks, etc. However, not EVERYONE! They do prepare you to get a job, but then it's up to you to actually get it!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
HI there,

im in my final year of undergrad and looking into LBS's MIM course (entry 2011/2012). please, it wud be really helpful if anyone can shed some lights on the chance of my app and how I can improve my app.

undergrad: top 5 in UK,econ, expecting to get 2:2-2:1. <- very much of a trouble
ECA: quite a few positions of responsibilities held both at school and outside school.
work exp: 2 internships at fund and IB, 1 insight programme at consultancy 1 part-time (offshore tea manufacturer in China,sizeable in the country)
GMAT: 680 49quantitative 33verbal (first attempt, planning on 2nd attempt next month), AWA: available in 3-week time.

Thanks alot. really appreciate any help.
Manager
Manager
 Q46  V34
Send PM
nathhan wrote:
HI there,

im in my final year of undergrad and looking into LBS's MIM course (entry 2011/2012). please, it wud be really helpful if anyone can shed some lights on the chance of my app and how I can improve my app.

undergrad: top 5 in UK,econ, expecting to get 2:2-2:1. <- very much of a trouble
ECA: quite a few positions of responsibilities held both at school and outside school.
work exp: 2 internships at fund and IB, 1 insight programme at consultancy 1 part-time (offshore tea manufacturer in China,sizeable in the country)
GMAT: 680 49quantitative 33verbal (first attempt, planning on 2nd attempt next month), AWA: available in 3-week time.

Well you never know if you don't apply... This being said, MAKE SURE YOU GET A 2:1!!! If in your reference letter they predict 2:2 I think your probabilities will decrease considerably.

Some sports? arts? volunteering? They tend to like this...

WE seems very good, so does the GMAT, you are just below the average... but if you want to make a 2nd attempt, try it again but make sure to get a better score not worse!
Manager
Manager
 Q46  V34
Send PM
yyy627 wrote:
Wow.that's really what I want!
But I 'm concerned abt my university.I do hear a lot that lbs pay much attention to the applicant's university,whether it is a key or prestigious school in the country.my university is not that prestigious in my country though I have a high gap.
Besides,I am an international student and I took Toefl test,i feel I did not very well in the test and Lbs seems to require 110 of Toefl
another question is that whatever I apply for the 1st round or 2nd round is the chance for me to admitted equal ??

Thx

Well, there is nothing you can do about your uni, just try to promote it the best way you can... Many of my classmates come from unis I have never heard of before... That does not mean they are not prestigious in their countries!

About the TOEFL, well, you need the minimum level they ask you for.

There are rumours for the MBA that your chances are very slim if you apply in R3, for example. But I think the MiM Admissions Team tries to balance the intake for every round. Actually I would say there were more people admitted per round from R3 on... for this year...
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks a lot for the reply.

and mind if i ask whether they give conditional offers or unconditional ones? based on what your experience, do you reckon similar masters courses (management related) at LSE/IC/HEC will be more competitive to get in?

sports: championship team back in lower school, and regularly participated at uni, so no big awards...
social services: ad-hoc helper to a cancer fundraisers+ regular visits to special-need schools before uni

is it vital to have sports/arts type of awards on a national level?

thank you very much again!

kitsune wrote:
nathhan wrote:
HI there,

Well you never know if you don't apply... This being said, MAKE SURE YOU GET A 2:1!!! If in your reference letter they predict 2:2 I think your probabilities will decrease considerably.

Some sports? arts? volunteering? They tend to like this...

WE seems very good, so does the GMAT, you are just below the average... but if you want to make a 2nd attempt, try it again but make sure to get a better score not worse!
Manager
Manager
 Q46  V34
Send PM
nathhan wrote:
Thanks a lot for the reply.

and mind if i ask whether they give conditional offers or unconditional ones? based on what your experience, do you reckon similar masters courses (management related) at LSE/IC/HEC will be more competitive to get in?

sports: championship team back in lower school, and regularly participated at uni, so no big awards...
social services: ad-hoc helper to a cancer fundraisers+ regular visits to special-need schools before uni

is it vital to have sports/arts type of awards on a national level?

thank you very much again!

As far as I know it is unconditional offers... but I would need to ask people who hadn't finished their degrees before getting the offer.

About how competitive? You mean in terms of number of places / number of applicants? That I do not know... The only thing I can tell you is that our GMAT average score is quite high, we have students from Oxbridge, MIT, LSE, etc. and we do require an interview unlike LSE. In addition, 90% of the people who got into LBS also got in LSE and HEC and rejected those for LBS... but it is up to you to choose after all.

Obviously, it is not a REQUIREMENT to have sports/awards on a NATIONAL level! The more you do the better, if you can transfer the skills gained to the programme / career...
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hey guys,

I've been reading this forum for months now and it's nearly time to apply r1 so I'd like to ask u guys some questions.

Is the essay topics:

1) what motivates you
2) evidence of leadership and team work
3) why you are looking to pursue a Masters in Management at this point in your life
4) what you will bring to the London Business School community

and if so how many pages is expected for each of the questions?

also I'm wondering whether you can reapply in other rounds in the same academic year if LBS rejected my application?
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22  ...  24   
Moderator:
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts